ICC Flash

2007 HR Navigator Detroit Series 60 built Feb 2006 has an SM211 Rev C smart wheel controller installed in 2018.  The issue is that the ICC flash when attempting to activate will not flash even with the repeated pressing of either button.  This applies to headlights and eyebrow lights.  I installed the new controller after a discussion with VIP tech support.  Of course, it made no difference.  I've verified good, clean connections at the steering column and the controller. As an aside, I have on rare occasions had difficulty engaging cruise control.  Does anyone have an idea?

On my older 2003 Endeavor the ICC flash only flashes the rear marker lights.  That's it.  If the lights are off it will flash the marker lights on-off.  If the lights are on it will flash the marker lights off-on.  Since I installed LED marker "bulbs" I only get ICC flashing when lights are on (because it reverses polarity when lights are off and LEDs only flow current in one direction). 

This might have been a Monaco design philosophy . . . .

- bob

• Like 2

I know there is a big age difference between ours and yours but assume there is a relay involved in your setup just as there is in ours. Clearly marked as ICC Power in our FRB and easy to check for me. ICC controls my LED headlights as well as markers depending whether are on or off. But I don't use it much anyway, I stick with momentary high beam and flasher switches instead.

11 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

The clock-spring is another source of problems with communication between the Smart Wheel and the controller.

I was coming here to say the same thing… especially with the cruise control issues. 

Here’s a video done by member @TedZimmer on how to replace:

Thanks everyone for the hints.  I had considered the clock spring also but I hate to just throw parts at it.  I am curious if this may indicate an issue related to the 5v converter problem as seen on later coaches.  The ICC lights worked as designed initially then gradually became intermittent until complete failure.  We've owned this coach for nearly nine years and in that time have seen the cruise issue approx. six times.

If I pursue this, it won't be until later in the spring after we return home (OK) from FL.

All trucks ICC switch only flashes the marker lights indicating a THANK YOU when signaling them to inter back into the right lane safety after passing. My coach now and my previous Navigator worked the same way. Are you thinking yours works with the front lights?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rico K 2005 Knight said:

All trucks ICC switch only flashes the marker lights indicating a THANK YOU when signaling them to inter back into the right lane safety after passing. My coach now and my previous Navigator worked the same way. Are you thinking yours works with the front lights?

My Dynasty only flashes the marker lights, front and rear.
I added a relay and used that circuit to trigger my trailer tail lights, since the trailer blocks the rear markers on the coach.

• Like 1

The clock spring is an expensive part for sure. I was having issues with my wipers at first then it affected the cruise control. You can check the clock spring by getting access to both ends, if I remember it was 4 conductors. Use an ohm meter and check continuity on each wire while turning the clock spring. If you get any moment on your meter then it’s bad. It might fluctuate a few ohm’s but if it has big swings in readings it’s bad. I had one wire open and one going bad so I replaced it and all is good now. 

• Like 1

Rico, DL, Ivan:  Yes, the headlights did originally flash when activated by the left smart wheel sw.  If lights on would turn off, if lights off would turn them on as per the owner's manual.  Eyebrow lights work the same way by activating the right sw.

Georgia Mike:  Excellent troubleshooting exercise.  Will do this upon returning home.

Thanks again for the tips

On 1/23/2024 at 7:49 AM, emr1221@sbcglobal.net said:

Rico, DL, Ivan:  Yes, the headlights did originally flash when activated by the left smart wheel sw.  If lights on would turn off, if lights off would turn them on as per the owner's manual.  Eyebrow lights work the same way by activating the right sw.

Georgia Mike:  Excellent troubleshooting exercise.  Will do this upon returning home.

Thanks again for the tips

Martin - this may be obvious, but I won't assume, my ICC will only flash if the ignition is on.  Whether lights are off, park lights, or headlights, they will flash with ignition on.  Interestingly, I replaced all of them with LED last year and they will flash whether lights on or off.