Replace or repair fancy Monaco rear mud flap.

Stupidly backed over something that I shouldn’t have. Bent the metal back plate and chrome piece on the end. Looks like they can be bent back into place, but guessing that it will never look the same. 

Anyone successfully made such a repair and/or can anyone suggest a salvage yard where I can get a used one?  Have to think that there is one out there somewhere. 

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Much appreciated. 

8 minutes ago, rschley said:

Stupidly backed over something that I shouldn’t have. Bent the metal back plate and chrome piece on the end. Looks like they can be bent back into place, but guessing that it will never look the same. 

Anyone successfully made such a repair and/or can anyone suggest a salvage yard where I can get a used one?  Have to think that there is one out there somewhere. 

Anything can be replaced if you are $$ affluent.

Did the same thing.  My advice…drop the flap down using the links with nuts.  Remove the nuts from the studs….use a WRENCH or socket.  Pull off the rubber.  Find some pieces of 2 X 12 or whatever it takes to sandwich the “bends” in the SS backer plate.  Use board on bottom and top.  Beat the wood….it will straighten it out.  Mine did. This prevent scratching or marring. Just be careful of the studs….they are punily spot welded on.  I broke one…drilled it out and used a SS Hex bolt….no one see it.

NEXT….reassembly. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES use a power ratchet.  Small 1/4” or maybe 3/8” with deep well socket.  OR a short combo wrench.  Tighten it snug….then carefully start to torque down the nuts….working each one a smidge….it will be fine.  

Suggest that you look at the bolts that hold the brackets in.  I replaced mine with Grade 5 and NyLok nuts….SS all around.  Some folks had the common bolts wear through…now THAT was a mess and costly.  It will be OK unless you somehow drove over it….you ain’t the first…nor will be the last…

I would NOT spend a penny until I tried that.  A used one, due to shipping will boggle the mind and your credit card.  MOST here have fixed….unless they drug it or actually backed the MH over it…

I am with Tom on this one, not sure how I damaged the mud flap metal pieces. Between my supervision and a grandson's muscles, got the pieces straightened and back together. 2 x 12's can be your friend, project took about 1 hour. Space to work helps.

Bill B 07 Dynasty  ( machine shop experience came in handy)

Thanks Tom.  ( you too Bill) 
I appreciate your always good advice. You have saved me a lot of money and frustration over the past few years. 
I will give that a try. Makes good sense. I figured that a replacement would be pricey. Just the end is bent, I think that I can fix it.
Thanks for being so detailed and specific. 
It will be at least a week before I can get to it. Kids are visiting. I will let you know how it turns out. 
Ron 

1 hour ago, rschley said:

Thanks. I will Google them right now. 

I's suggest sending a request to Visione.  When I was there in Nov 2023 the sales rep I dealt with said they don't list everything on the website but if you contact them they'll look for it. 

50 minutes ago, rschley said:

Thanks Tom.  ( you too Bill) 
I appreciate your always good advice. You have saved me a lot of money and frustration over the past few years. 
I will give that a try. Makes good sense. I figured that a replacement would be pricey. Just the end is bent, I think that I can fix it.
Thanks for being so detailed and specific. 
It will be at least a week before I can get to it. Kids are visiting. I will let you know how it turns out. 
Ron 

2X4 will work.  But if you want a smooth plate, use the bigger pieces of pressure treated Pine.  Take your time….you need to work on the big “warps”….then move to the smaller ones  and so forth.  Take your time….but quit when it is close.  You can’t see small imperfections as the rubber hides a lot.  As long as it is “bent or warped” and NOT creased or folded….it is fixable…. Not any real “gotta do it this way”.  Just patience and common sense.

• Like 1

I did the same thing… back over a smal bollard (not big enough to affect anything but the flap) and messed mine up pretty good.  Bent around double…

I did exactly what @Tom Cherry says above, and it looks good. Not perfect, but good.  After all, it is a MudFlap hanging under a motorhome! 🤣 A new one would look great until the first dirt or gravel road, then it would look about like mine after I fixed it…

I hope you get it straightened out.

As a suggestion, a small piece of chain with a hook will hold the flap up so it is less likely to get crushed. The short piece of chain can be left in place with the hook if you use a carabiner or something like it. 

I bought an holiday rambler rock guard from Visone. 450$ plus 160$ shipping

i have also straightened them. After I had the larges bends out ,I would put shims of thin lumber on both sides of the small bend that may still exist. 
lumber store door shims work well. Some very light tapping on the remaining imperfections with a dead blow hammer did well. The dead blow hammer does not rebound as metal hammers do. More of the energy goes on target with less effort. Dead blow also soft covering.good luck

Edited by Jetjockey
Addit

I took my rock guard off years ago.  

My Jeep toad and trailer were getting a lot of small rock chips.  The front bumper on the Jeep has sort of a shelf with depressions in it - they were full of small rocks & pebbles after towing a few hundred miles.

An aeronautical engineer told me this was happening because of the low pressure area behind the coach and taking the huge mud flap off would allow air to flow thereby reducing the vacuum behind the coach. He was right; I removed it and that reduced chips and dings by about 95%. No more rocks and pebbles on the front bumper.

There are  individual mud flaps behind the tires and I think that is all you need.

Mine is bent and I thought about driving over the plate with a car . . . between 2x12's is even better.  There will still be bends but (I believe) that would get most of it.

- bob

On 2/23/2024 at 4:31 PM, rschley said:

I never got one!

I assume it was removed when the original owner had the motorcycle lift installed.

I've had no rock chips on the front of my toad, so, I don't miss having one!