Dash Radio

I think it's a 1 1/2 din. I am just putting something on to get the feel using smartphone.

I know.  I was going to be a wise ass and offer to sell you an old tube push button AM car radio!

I've been using my smart phone for all interactions so far.  Seems to work fine but I should setup my laptop with at least a link to the group.

I did figure out how to add my picture profile and the background picture of my coach.  The group limits picture size but really not an issue uploading the correct file size photo.

Haha 😄😂 Tubes are my era. I worked at Westinghouse and we were replacing tubes with solid state devices for aircraft. 1960

Those were the good old days.  I'm still trying to find room in my coach to fit my old tube Heathkit ham radio station that I built in the early 70's.  Good thing that I kept the station.  On eBay the price has more than doubled what I paid for it.  All those tubes sure kept the shack warm!

Testing out to see if photos load.

W2MJ

IMG_20141121_100509605.jpg

Photograph (10).jpg

• Like 6

That’s just wayyyy cool!

The default size for the Magnadyne radio is 1-1/2 DIN.  I very carefully converted that opening to a double DIN and installed a Pioneer radio. Obviously my wife has control of the radio station for the holidays...

5476D84B-587E-4597-888D-C3F78A5B0A55.jpeg

FA8C5154-E9D2-4B02-B78C-9FEACA25C145.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 9:07 PM, Larry J Laursen said:

Does anyone know of a good replacement for the dash radio

Larry ,

Any one of many available will do. For me it has to have blue tooth so I can feed it stuff from my iPhone . It might be nice to have one with navigation but it won’t be as safe  as a garmin for rv’s. 

If you can make it take a double din, one with a 6 or 7” screen would be cool . 

bill g 06 dynasty

Larry,

I found this radio at Crutchfield. It's a SoundStream radio with a number of attractive feature: XM ready (accessory receiver required), Apple Car Talk, and a CD player (major selling point for Books-On-Disk. There's plenty of room for a double DIN radio in the dash. I scrapped the old plastic panel with a piece of plexiglass that I covered with a wood grain vinyl.

• Like 1

When we bought our Camelot several years ago, it came with a Kenwood radio, with a flip-out DVD player & screen.   Waaay too many buttons for me to figure out, especially while driving.  I did learn how to get FM and GPS functions, tho.  I even found where the PO lived, by using the "Home" button on GPS 😀

Anyways, you might check into the Kenwood line, they seem to be very versatile.

Like Scotty I also did a Pioneer unit.  I had the room to cutout my dash making the install not difficult.  My coach has separate speakers for the radio, so I didn't have to tie into any sharing system for my TV viewing and sound.  

I really like the new site a whole lot better than the Yahoo hosted arrangement.  Great work to all the participated.  I can tell a lot of thought and work has gone into the finished product. 

IMG_1470.jpeg

On 11/23/2019 at 11:34 AM, Frank McElroy said:

Those were the good old days.  I'm still trying to find room in my coach to fit my old tube Heathkit ham radio station that I built in the early 70's.  Good thing that I kept the station.  On eBay the price has more than doubled what I paid for it.  All those tubes shure kept the shack warm!

Testing out to see if photos load.

W2MJ

I also remember those kits well 🙂  We're really showing our ages LOL

Mike H  -- WV2SXI,   KC4TCV,   KT4VA

On 12/11/2019 at 4:19 AM, RustyTools said:

When we bought our Camelot several years ago, it came with a Kenwood radio, with a flip-out DVD player & screen.   Waaay too many buttons for me to figure out, especially while driving.  I did learn how to get FM and GPS functions, tho.  I even found where the PO lived, by using the "Home" button on GPS 😀

Anyways, you might check into the Kenwood line, they seem to be very versatile.

Strange. Wonder if yours was changed out by a previous owner? 

Our same year H.R sistercoach came with a Magnadyne.

I shoulda mentioned that the radio was definitely a replacement - I assume original at some time was the OEM Magnadyne as well.  The PO has done so many things to the coach (some good, but most ...) that I've named  it "The Easter Egg Hunt".  Seems that every time I turn around, I find something new and exciting that's been done.  My favorite is the genset slideout fiberglas nose-piece...  Because it didn't fit well into the front cutout, he just attacked it what looked like a SawZall to make it fit.

I followed Scotty's lead and increased to a double DIN and ordered one from Crutchfield.  I also ordered a remote bc it's just too far to scan while driving.   I used a splitter and sent the rear camera to the radio camera so I can watch behind me and leave the Aladdin on. 

20181226_112641.jpg

20181229_150058.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Instead of replacing  my radio I up graded my house stereo to digital and my new Denon amp will hook to my phone so I can get I Heart radio and hear my local news where ever I’m at.  I found that by looking on Amazon you can find what you need for almost any radio.  crutchfield is good but expensive.  I bought my equipment from Best Buy because they have a very good service department, are nation wide, match competitions prices and the extended warranty is very reasonable. I would advise buying that as we have a whole lot of shaking going on. Another benefit is my wife can listen to talk radio on her phone through her hearing  aids and I can listen to what ever I want. 

• 4 months later...

I also did a double DIN. I wanted a big screen and I wanted Apple Car Play for navigation.  I paid $200 for this in April of last year. It works GREAT. Also, I use an Onyx satellite receiver that goes into that little holder on the right, and an Aux cable come out the back of it and goes into the back of the radio for my satellite music.

dashradio2.JPG

Edited by Rob and Amy Harper
  • Like 1

I’m not so sure that the problem is the radio. I experienced poor reception with the Magnadyne. However, we replaced the Magnadyne with the same SoundStream radio as shown in Rob & Amy’s post and had the same poor reception. I think the problem is the rubber ducky antenna on the roof. I need to do some testing and wire chasing to see if I can find the problem or just replace it. I think that will be a good winter project.

Roger
2006 Endeavor PDQ

10 hours ago, Roger S said:

I’m not so sure that the problem is the radio. I experienced poor reception with the Magnadyne. However, we replaced the Magnadyne with the same SoundStream radio as shown in Rob & Amy’s post and had the same poor reception. I think the problem is the rubber ducky antenna on the roof. I need to do some testing and wire chasing to see if I can find the problem or just replace it. I think that will be a good winter project.

Roger
2006 Endeavor PDQ

Roger,

I have a Kenwood DDX573BH unit that I removed from my truck. I purchased the truck used and the previous owner had installed the Kenwood in the truck. It was terrible and the OnStar was distorted and the Bluetooth was a pain and nothing worked correctly with the steering wheel controls. I purchased the original radio and installed it and everything works like it should now and we love how the Bluetooth will turn off the ventilation fan while a phone call is in progress.

I recently hooked up the Kenwood to a 12 volt power supply and some speakers to test if I might want to install it in the coach. I did not connect any antenna and to my surprise it was picking up numerous FM stations. When I removed the unit from the truck it was obvious why it worked so poorly. It looked like a 16 year had installed it and all the extra modules that needed to be installed to interface to the OnStar, XM radio, etc. were cramped in a hole behind the radio with insufficient room. Also all the connections required to modify the wiring were made with butt connectors.  Turns out the Kenwood in a stand alone configuration works just fine.

I tell you this story because if you install one of the Pioneer or Kenwood units your reception should improve significantly.

13 hours ago, Roger S said:

Roger
2006 Endeavor PDQ

FYI, reception is great on my SoundStream, so yes it sounds like you have an antenna problem.

I installed a Joying 10 1/2" double din chassis Android OS head unit.

You can install any Android app on it (google maps, Gasbuddy, various RV apps, navigation apps, Glimpse, etc)

Supports CarPlay and Android Auto.

I have our automation system "app" on it as well that has control over most everything in the rig (and the sticks and bricks home).

You can wifi network it to your phone hotspot or your RV WiFi network for Internet access.

Plug in a large USB stick with all your music and movies.

Install is similar to any aftermarket radio:  Power / Ground / Accessory power / speakers / camera input / GPS antenna / FM antenna / Reverse signal etc.

The large screen be be moved relative to the chassis to put in better visibility.  Projection of how far the screen is from the chassis can also be adjusted.

Joying also has single DIN chassis.

Very flexible and capable.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=joying+radio&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Edited by DavidL