What size tank does your shop air compressor have?

My 20 gal. (Home Depot) air compressor died today and I need to replace it to get my coach tires checked. I have been waiting, in the past, for the 20 gallon unit to get up to full pressure to air up 22.5 tires that were only 5#, or less, from being fully inflated. I am imagining I would be better served with a 3-6 gallon tank. I rarely use a impact wrench. What do you guys use?.

You really don't need it to have a tank at all for just tire inflation as opposed to air tool use. I use Viar compressor on the road which is permanent to the toad if I don't want to start the rig, 20 gal tank for just automotive type air tools and 80 gal 7.5hp for bigger jobs like blasting or air sander and paint. That one goes to 175 psi so if parked in or near the shop, it will inflate tires in a hurry. It all depends on your future intentions and need for portability. 

I use the coach's air compressor along with TPMS. Air up the tires twice a year. Once when it gets cold and once when it gets hot. Otherwise the tires hold their pressure throughout the year. Any need in between those times, it's pretty easy to air up one or two tires.....Dennis

13 hours ago, pete.miller77 said:

My 20 gal. (Home Depot) air compressor died today and I need to replace it to get my coach tires checked. I have been waiting, in the past, for the 20 gallon unit to get up to full pressure to air up 22.5 tires that were only 5#, or less, from being fully inflated. I am imagining I would be better served with a 3-6 gallon tank. I rarely use a impact wrench. What do you guys use?.

I’m kind of a tool snob... but for some things I go to harbor freight. For stationary intermittent shop use, I think Harbor freight compressors are hard to beat. If it’s not being moved around, a bigger tank is always better IMO.
But for MH tires I keep a small Bostich 1.2gal in the forward bay. 

I find the oil-free pancake compressors to be unpleasantly loud. For me, noise was a primary criteria for the portable unit. 
Cheers

Walter

Edited by wamcneil

As others have said, tank capacity isn't a critical factor for just tire inflation.  Look for a unit that offers the best combination of adequate air pressure and CFM volume.  A higher CFM rating insures that you won't standing around waiting for the compressor to put enough volume of air into the tire to fill it up.

Bruce LaHargoue

Currently in Morro Bay, CA

I meet a guy in Indio, Ca. in 11-2005 at a RV Park who was inflating his coach tires with a  powertank.com . He was a distributor for the product. I purchased a 15# Tank and all the accessories for the use of it. I had the tank filled with Nitrogen, MY choice. It was amazing. Filled coach tires from 105# to 110# in less than -1- minute. I installed it in the coach basement, with quick disconnects, and used a 50' hose to air up the coach and toad from either side of the coach. The tank of nitrogen would last 1 to 1-1/2 years between refills, costing between 12-14$  at Gas Supply businesses around the country as we were Full Timers.  I paid 495$ for it, and  Sold it in Spring of 2014 for 350$.  I would do it again . 

16 hours ago, Paul A. said:

I meet a guy in Indio, Ca. in 11-2005 at a RV Park who was inflating his coach tires with a  powertank.com . He was a distributor for the product. I purchased a 15# Tank and all the accessories for the use of it. I had the tank filled with Nitrogen, MY choice. It was amazing. Filled coach tires from 105# to 110# in less than -1- minute. I installed it in the coach basement, with quick disconnects, and used a 50' hose to air up the coach and toad from either side of the coach. The tank of nitrogen would last 1 to 1-1/2 years between refills, costing between 12-14$  at Gas Supply businesses around the country as we were Full Timers.  I paid 495$ for it, and  Sold it in Spring of 2014 for 350$.  I would do it again . 

It seems prices have doubled since you last bought the 15# tank.  The RV version is now $871.95 Power Tank Packages

I use the Amazon.com: Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit: Automotive <$300

18 hours ago, Paul A. said:

That's an interesting idea... but crazy prices and they're not the only game in town... 

Poly Performance Portable CO2 Tire Inflation Kit w/ 15lb Tank (2304)

I keep a 15 lb CO2 tank around for making carbonated water. Maybe I should get a regulator and try that instead of the compressor!

Or... there are really cheap options for putting a tire inflator on a dive tank.

50 minutes ago, wamcneil said:

That's an interesting idea... but crazy prices and they're not the only game in town... 

Poly Performance Portable CO2 Tire Inflation Kit w/ 15lb Tank (2304)

I keep a 15 lb CO2 tank around for making carbonated water. Maybe I should get a regulator and try that instead of the compressor!

Or... there are really cheap options for putting a tire inflator on a dive tank.

There are many more options today, than 16 years ago.  The guy i bought the Power Tank from had a demonstration once a week in the RV park we were in for 2 months and Sold a bunch of them.  Like so many things related to that life style of full timing, it is a personal choice. 

AS far as pricing like i always say, the only thing that always goes down is your underwear, everything goes UP!

• Haha 1

On 2/25/2021 at 2:57 PM, Paul A. said:

Before my comment, I have been on this site from the early days, probably 2002.  I bought a new 2001 Diplomat LE and went full-time for 10 years.  In the early days, this site was invaluable to this DP newbie.  Bill and I had our disputes, but he seemed to be a fair man.  He had that "Military Officer Mentality" <grin> and scolded me several times.  I was saddened when I stumbled back on this blog to learn of his death.  I never actually met him.  

Back to air tanks...I was always having trouble finding a place to air my tires and subsequently bought a Power Tank contraption.  It still serves me well.  It was invaluable in my full-timing days that went from 2001 to 2011.  I have downsized and still use it now.  I used to have it filled in Knoxville, TN from a small, mom n' pop, fire extinguisher company.  I use CO2 and the cost was less than $15.00.  Due to limited storage space in my current moho, I now carry it in the backseat floor board of my toad, a GMC Terrain.  I highly recommend the Power Tank.  It makes adding air to those big tires a total breeze.

Finally, are there any members here from 2002 and on?  I remember a guy I met in Memphis named Chuck.  He had a beautiful, black Windsor.  I believe it was on the famed semi-monocoque chassis.  Windsors later came with the "other" chassis.  Raised rail?  Even though no longer in the Monaco family, I still enjoy this blog and find things applicable to me.  

Barry Townes

2019 Phoenix Cruiser, Model 3100 

• Like 1