Level compressor

Brett63

I had to replace my aux compressor and went with a Viair this time. It works fine but now my pressure switch is bad so I have that ready to put in, but got to thinking. The Viair compressor is weather resistant, but not water proof. In it's current location behind the generator way up high I doubt it get a lot of actual water and probably isn't a worry. BUT what would it hurt to move it to the the front run bay? I have the chassis multiplex system in there, but plenty of room for the little aux compressor. I don't think heat or anything would bother either.

Thoughts?

09 Signature

Brett. I have a 2008 sig and have not used the compressor for years, seemed way noisy. Is yours loud and how often does it operate?

Monte Roger Fautin

5 minutes ago, Monte Roger Fautin said:

Brett. I have a 2008 sig and have not used the compressor for years, seemed way noisy. Is yours loud and how often does it operate?

Monte Roger Fautin

I just barely used mine before I developed a big air leak in the Valid manifold. We were not in the coach for a couple days when that happened and apparantly it burned the aux compressor pump up. From the little time we did use it, I didn't notice it being loud at all. The only time we really use it is if we are on an unlevel site and need to keep the coach level. If the site is pretty level I usually just dump the air and call it good. I don't have jacks at all, don't know if you do or not so I need the compressor at times to keep me flat with the world.

• 5 weeks later...

I just replaced the compressor at the front of my 2008 sig. 

Runs every few minutes for approx 30 seconds. Tech said air bag driver side (2)  bad.

How do I shut compressor off?

3 hours ago, willbo777 said:

I think you said you have a Valid system, if you do, pull the fuse in the front run bay.  With Valid the pump will run based on the pressure switch and doesn't care if the leveling system is on or off.

The other option for the Valid, and possibly the HWH, look under the Right FR area (behind or in front of the step well) where the compressor is. You will see a Switch.  If you can stick your head up and under the body, it is easy to see and easy to access. Typically, Monaco used the stock Viair switch. It has two solderless terminals so you pull one and bingo....there is no power going to the compressor. Here is what the Valid switch looks like. It is an ON @90 and OFF @120 PSI switch....simple.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PH80PI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BTW, whilst under there, make sure that the switch is properly "placed". The switch should be ABOVE the compressor as you get condensate in the switch and it will NOT work. I did not know that my switch was bad for several years until I shorted or jumpered the terminals and said..."What's that noise". A couple of zip ties is all that is needed to correct the Monaco assembly error.

• Thanks 1

Those pressure switch's are available at 4X4 shops for less $$$ than RV sources. Very popular for off road suspension with the Jeep guys. Make sure there is a loop in the electrical lines gong to the switch, that has the bottom of the loop low so water does not run into the switch.

• 2 months later...

OK I give up. Valid Air level system.  My Level compressor has started keeping my coach level whether I want it to or not.  Usually if I am on a fairly level site as I am at home here in Escapees, I dump all corners and touch up the level either manually or auto and it stays ok.  Lately my level compressor comes on and airs all bags back up and levels coach at a very high level.  If I dump air, it comes on and airs it back up to maximum.  Can someone tell me where the compressor gets power, I would prefer to disable it from the source to put a switch rather than crawl under coach to front or rear axle and start messing with air system.

Thanks for any help.  I guess I am too dense to figure out which electrical drawings to find air level compressor.

This is a post from another social media site.
He bought this compressor and connected it to the quick disconnect for air in the genny compartment. Instead of rebuild/replacement of the compressor for leveling. Pretty cool. He puts it in the genny compartment when using it. Has 135 P S I. Good for tire inflation too and no running engine to get to ride height before bringing in slides. This would, could, may,  satisfy any and all needs for air when the coach engine is not running. Battery could be used for power when doing trouble shooting.

received_305872964446121.jpeg

Edited by Paul A.
grammer

I would be concerned about using the above or similar setup in humid areas, like TX these days, without an additional drier. I just don't like any extra chance of water in sixpacks and airbags.The nipple up front usually goes directly into a dry tank. Factory aux compressor at least have a cheapo water separator, mine does and still goes into the wet tank first. I do use a shop compressor at times but that one got a decent filter/drier for paint jobs. 

I assume, bad I know, that yours is the same as our coach, that the power to the compressor is in the FRB, high up on the rear wall.  It is an auto resetting fuse that looks like a small square goldish cube.  What would concern me more it that is pumping your coach up higher.  The Valid compressor runs anytime it is powered by its own 90/120 pressure switch.  And I wonder if there is a setting on the system that is allowing it to raise your coach.  I would call them for advice.

Thanks for the replies.  The level compressor runs for about 5 minutes every hour.  We run the AC  with the fan on manual to drown out the noise while we sleep.  The coach stays perfectly level though.  I assume I have a small leak somewhere that needs to be addressed.  I would like to disable the level compressor, and dump the air down to the stops.  Coach would be level where we have it parked now and I would get a better nights sleep until we can get the coach in for service.

14 hours ago, willbo777 said:

I assume, bad I know, that yours is the same as our coach, that the power to the compressor is in the FRB, high up on the rear wall.  It is an auto resetting fuse that looks like a small square goldish cube.  What would concern me more it that is pumping your coach up higher.  The Valid compressor runs anytime it is powered by its own 90/120 pressure switch.  And I wonder if there is a setting on the system that is allowing it to raise your coach.  I would call them for advice.

I will see if I can find the auto resetting fuse in my Front Run Box, thanks

When I store our 08 Navigator, I lower it to the stops and turn the system off by pressing the power button. Do the same thing after leveling so the pump doesn’t come on although I have a on/off switch for the aux pump on the drivers side console too.

Edited by Ivylog

2 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

When I store our 08 Navigator, I lower it to the stops and turn the system off by pressing the power button. Do the same thing after leveling so the pump doesn’t come on although I have a on/off switch for the aux pump on the drivers side console too.

Exactly what I have been trying to do.  However my level compressor does not turn off when I turn off the leveling system at the panel on the drivers side.  Before I had a leak, that is how I operated.  Now something has changed since the level compressor now levels the coach back near travel height, does not matter if the panel is on or off, manual or automatic. 

The auto reset fuse (gold color) does disable the level compressor without me crawling under coach and disconnecting power to the compressor. Thanks for the help in locating the auto reset fuse.

Now I have dumped the air and the level remains where I put it with the fuse out.  I probably have a leak in a bag and or a check valve or access point.  I have the panel on manual to see if it stays level at this low level of air.  I am not totally on the stops, just before so that coach is level.  If I go all the way to the stops it will be slightly out of level to the rear as my slab is supposed to drain that way. (Doesn't but that is another story).

Sounds like I may be wrong about shutting the system off, shuts the pump off as I leave the manual switch I have in the off position. Have enough of a leak… probably in the 6 pack, that it would definitely wake us up at night.

I would add a relay with the auto reset breaker on the load side, and run 2 small wires to a switch inside so you do not have to go outside to shut it off.

Yes, a switch in line with that fuse from just above the run box in the arm rest will be a plus.  Luckily I have plenty of room between us and our neighbors as that little compressor is loud.

Edited by herbstark
correction

Herb, I don't know anything about the Valid Air Leveling system or how it works. I went looking for a manual but couldn't find one on their web site. All I could find was a brochure which I attached the URL below.

https://validmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/Trueline-Leveling-System-1.pdf

My HWH Air Leveling system control panel will not allow the HWH air compressor to run with the system turned off or in Manual Mode.

20 hours ago, Ivan K said:

I would be concerned about using the above or similar setup in humid areas, like TX these days, without an additional drier. I just don't like any extra chance of water in sixpacks and airbags.The nipple up front usually goes directly into a dry tank. Factory aux compressor at least have a cheapo water separator, mine does and still goes into the wet tank first. I do use a shop compressor at times but that one got a decent filter/drier for paint jobs. 

Yep.

On 6/16/2021 at 7:06 AM, Dr4Film said:

Herb, I don't know anything about the Valid Air Leveling system or how it works. I went looking for a manual but couldn't find one on their web site. All I could find was a brochure which I attached the URL below.

https://validmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/Trueline-Leveling-System-1.pdf

My HWH Air Leveling system control panel will not allow the HWH air compressor to run with the system turned off or in Manual Mode.

Valid system, the aux compressor remains powered up even with the leveling system turned off.

When the small leveling air tank pressure drops below 90psi, the compressor is going to fill it back up to 120.

Yes, I received information on the location of a resettable fuse in Front Run Bay.  So I removed it from circuit so that the Level compressor would not come on.  I then dumped the air, as it got nearly all the way down, I manually leveled and it has stayed level for several days now with the level compressor disabled.  This indicates that we are not leaking more air at these low levels.  Only seems to require level compressor to run and continue to adjust at high levels.  So I may have a very small leak or not.  I surely have a malfunction in the level compressor circuit.  Been a few quiet nights without that compressor coming on every hour for about 5 minutes or so.

13 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Valid system, the aux compressor remains powered up even with the leveling system turned off.

When the small leveling air tank pressure drops below 90psi, the compressor is going to fill it back up to 120.

Thanks Ben. That explains the difference. The HWH Leveling compressor is not equipped with a reservoir tank. It is tubed directly to the Six-Pack valves and air bags.