Radiator/Intercooler Cleaning HR Cummins 330

I am curious how others clean the radiator/intercooler on a HR Endeavor with a Cummins 330.  I have sprayed the Extreme Green solution from the closet access as well as from beneath the coach, spraying afterward with a water hose.  I find this a really questionable method and still can't believe an engineer would place the radiator/intercooler in a place so exposed to dirt/dust/oil/engine/blowby/whatever!!  

After doing my research for almost one year, the two main reasons for purchasing the 2002 Windsor were the side radiator and the semi-monocoque chassis.

Some folks here have been very successful in cleaning a rear radiator so I am sure they will chime in soon.

That is how I clean my except I use a power washer with the tip set to 45 and don't get any closer than 3-4' or from what I understand the pressure used too close could damage components.

I went from not being able to see any light through it to seeing allot of light and the engine running cooler.

Allow the engine to cool down completely, make sure you let the Simple Green sit for 15-20 minutes and then spray again and let set for a a few minutes then spray.

You may have to do this a couple or three times to get it mostly cleared if you haven't done it before.

I put a large piece of carboard underneath to catch the debris and it was nasty when I was done.  

Remember whatever 'degreaser' you choose to use, make sure it's designed for aluminum. These posts mention Simple Green as the most used item. That will kill your radiator. Simple Green Pro HD is PURPLE and is safe for aluminum.  Some words of advice READ THE LABELS BEFORE USING ANYTHING TO CLEAN YOUR RADIATOR.

Dennis

61UKCRPxSKL._SX466_.jpg

7 hours ago, RVSSNAKE said:

That is how I clean my except I use a power washer with the tip set to 45 and don't get any closer than 3-4' or from what I understand the pressure used too close could damage components.

I went from not being able to see any light through it to seeing allot of light and the engine running cooler.

Allow the engine to cool down completely, make sure you let the Simple Green sit for 15-20 minutes and then spray again and let set for a a few minutes then spray.

You may have to do this a couple or three times to get it mostly cleared if you haven't done it before.

I put a large piece of carboard underneath to catch the debris and it was nasty when I was done.  

Yes, sorry, should have been more specific  Simple Green Pro HD (purple stuff).

81FZZdcctHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Just now, glang11082 said:

81FZZdcctHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Great product  by both cans as a kit. I use it often.

This is what was recommended to me by the HVAC guy. $10 bucks a can if you buy four from Amazon. It works great on the HVAC system but I found the Pro HD works best on the radiator. HVAC units are mostly dust and surface grime whereas radiators gather road dirt and greasy residue......Dennis

81-yHq9kc4L._AC_UL320_.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dennis,Thankx for sharing info on Pro HD...This annual project is cumming up and Amazon was kind enough to deliver through Prime account the gallon of HD..Was curious as to what mix  ratio have you found works best on radiator? I have the rear rad in my 04 40'Diplomat PDQ. I am anxious to see how this works out! Thank's,

Bruce Crocker

04 40' Diplomat PDQ

Dennis,thanks for the reply,I did also read the label but was curious as to which mixture you found worked on your radiator? My reason for the question is usually with these chemicals the less you need is better(and cheaper) as this SP isn't cheap,don't want to "overkill the mix",to get the job done thats all! Did not mean to beat this to death was really not aware of this product(PRO-HD) previous to your comments,again thank's!

Bruce Crocker

2004 Dip 40'PDQ