TV Replacement

I'm in the process of replacing my 2007 Sony Bravia 32" TV with a 40" Hisense Smart LED. The height is similar, and I have sufficient width between overhead cabinet doors for a nice overhead installation.. I had bought a 58" Hisense for my house last year and have had good results with picture quality and reliability. When we bought the coach, the previous owner gave us the 3-page tutorial on how to use the satellite dish, DVD player and surround sound. We haven't turned on the TV in 2 years. Netflix and Youtube are our go-to's for entertainment at home. A good data plan and setting resolution at 720 will serve us well on rainy days.

I'm interested in feedback as well.  My 2009 Marquis TV's are still going but want to be prepared when they quit.

Also, I'm perceiving new TV's will be slightly lighter and output less heat.  So, I'm fine if these 2009 TV's quit working.

Bob... 2009 Beaver Marquis

I bought a Samsung 32" in 2013 and it's still working.  However, up until this year it traveled on the bed so vibration etc was non-existent.  I replaced the previous owner's overhead mounted 26" Vizio (which weighed a ton . . . plasma?) with the Samsung.  Because the Samsung has a narrower bezel the footprint is about the same. 

Back then I picked a "smart" tv and found it wasn't so smart after all.  Right away it needed an update (fairly easy but time consuming).  Then, after years of not using the smart features, all the apps (Netflix, Prime, YouTube, etc.) needed another update.  Even with the clunky on-screen keyboard it never worked well as web browser.  I did purchase a USB keyboard, but many of the apps don't accept it.

My next tv won't be smart but probably add a Roku instead. 

Whatever you do don't look at LG's 4k OLED sets.  The picture quality is AWESOME (and you pay for that).  Samsung's QLED is a play on words, not even the same league as OLED.  Sony and Vizio have LG licensed OLED in some of their sets. 

Just my opinion.  Good luck.

Best,

- bob

Steve,

At my darling wife’s request, I replaced my 32” with a 39” Vizio. (Actually, she wanted a bigger TV - I gave her dimensions and she found one that fit exactly) 

I didn’t opt for the smart TV because we use a Roku.  If buying today I would look at one with the Roku “built in” (I think Hisense and maybe one other company makes them, but they are also called Roku TVs and can be found at Costco or Sam’s Club)image.thumb.jpg.5e9439297438fafc5d2daf51ead7031a.jpg

(yes, those cabinet doors have about 1/2” clearance to open 🤪)

Going with either a 40” or 43” Samsung here.

image.jpg

Also considering replacing the 32" Sharp but want to install with a mounting bracket that slides down.  Get a neck "crick" when watching from the copilot seat... would like to lower the tv from the current near ceiling location when stopped and watching.  Anyone found a vertically sliding mount?

Adam 

2010 Neptune

I've seen this question asked elsewhere, maybe you?  Here are some things for your consideration.  Smart TV are not much more than "dumb" ones - not significate for cost to be a driver.  But, will you use a smart TV?  Do you have capability of highspeed broadband wherever you want to watch TV?  Some use WiFi HotSpots to get internet, but some of those limit streaming to SD (Standard Definition)  quality.  Will you always be able to get good cellular data connections?  Do you currently use streaming services?  If not, what services do you currently watch?  Just OTA (Over The Air - free TV)?  Personally, I camp a lot where I don't get OTA or Cellular Service, or at least not great service.  I have Dish Network, and all I have to worry about is no trees obstructing my view.  I'm a TV guy - I like watching both network (ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, CW) programming (usually Prime Time) but also like programming from TLC, FNC, Discovery, History, HGTV, etc.  I also HATE being tethered to the TV - especially when traveling and there are things to do and people to see, pot lucks & campfires.  For me, Dish Network with the ability to Record all my favorite shows and then watch them later is a MUST HAVE.  I've relating this, because if you are like me, you don't need streaming or Smart TVs.  But, if you don't want a satellite system, and are confident that you will always be connected to a good cellular data signal, then some of the programming I get on Dish you'll get via streaming.  Also, if you are only interested in OTA Network programming, and not worried if you miss an episode of NCIS, then you don't need a smart TV.  As mentioned above, there are streaming boxes (ROKU, Firestick, etc.) that you can connect to your TV to make it "Smart".   

Another consideration is size.  To me, you'll want to get the biggest TV you can make fit in the available space.  Another think is 4K.  I have a 50" 4K TV waiting to be installed in my coach.  I got 4K only because it's about all you can get at 50+ inches.  But Dish Network has very little programming at 4K, and it takes their best Hopper to receive what little there is.  There might be some OTA @ 4K, but not much right now.  Most of the 4K is either streaming or BluRay disk.  I don't think you would want to pay for routine streaming 4K content via cellular.  It gobbles up bandwidth.  And, as mentioned above, some HotSpots won't even allow for HD (High Definition) streaming, much less 4K.  If you plan to be connected to DSL or Fiber, that is a different story.

On to the usage in a RV question.  I don't think there is enough data complied to judge durability bouncing around in a coach.  I have replaced many TVs in RVs, but only one because of failure.  That one had a history of power supply failures, and was unrelated to it's environment.  There are some people who like specific brands - kinda like Ford vs Chevy.  Some Smart TVs integrate better with different Smart Phone and HotSpots than others.  Especially if you plan on casting or mirroring you phone.  But that will be based upon your current cell phone brand.   

If you have specific questions, ask away, I'm sure there are many willing to help answer.

Another possibility is Jensen TV’s.  These operate natively from 12vdc, thus eliminating the need to convert from 120vac.  They’re also LED.  Had one in my 2003 Dynasty, was reliable.  Not a smart TV, we used it with a Roku.  I currently have a drop down Sharp 2 piece tv in my current 2006 Dynasty, that heats the front of the coach nicely.  In Texas that was a  benefit on about 2 nights this year but no help on the 80 and 90 degree days that are the norm.  I’m hoping it will die soon.  

Binge on, everyone!!

4 hours ago, waterskier_1 said:

I've seen this question asked elsewhere, maybe you?  Here are some things for your consideration.  Smart TV are not much more than "dumb" ones - not significate for cost to be a driver.  But, will you use a smart TV?  Do you have capability of highspeed broadband wherever you want to watch TV?  Some use WiFi HotSpots to get internet, but some of those limit streaming to SD (Standard Definition)  quality.  Will you always be able to get good cellular data connections?  Do you currently use streaming services?  If not, what services do you currently watch?  Just OTA (Over The Air - free TV)?  Personally, I camp a lot where I don't get OTA or Cellular Service, or at least not great service.  I have Dish Network, and all I have to worry about is no trees obstructing my view.  I'm a TV guy - I like watching both network (ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, CW) programming (usually Prime Time) but also like programming from TLC, FNC, Discovery, History, HGTV, etc.  I also HATE being tethered to the TV - especially when traveling and there are things to do and people to see, pot lucks & campfires.  For me, Dish Network with the ability to Record all my favorite shows and then watch them later is a MUST HAVE.  I've relating this, because if you are like me, you don't need streaming or Smart TVs.  But, if you don't want a satellite system, and are confident that you will always be connected to a good cellular data signal, then some of the programming I get on Dish you'll get via streaming.  Also, if you are only interested in OTA Network programming, and not worried if you miss an episode of NCIS, then you don't need a smart TV.  As mentioned above, there are streaming boxes (ROKU, Firestick, etc.) that you can connect to your TV to make it "Smart".   

Another consideration is size.  To me, you'll want to get the biggest TV you can make fit in the available space.  Another think is 4K.  I have a 50" 4K TV waiting to be installed in my coach.  I got 4K only because it's about all you can get at 50+ inches.  But Dish Network has very little programming at 4K, and it takes their best Hopper to receive what little there is.  There might be some OTA @ 4K, but not much right now.  Most of the 4K is either streaming or BluRay disk.  I don't think you would want to pay for routine streaming 4K content via cellular.  It gobbles up bandwidth.  And, as mentioned above, some HotSpots won't even allow for HD (High Definition) streaming, much less 4K.  If you plan to be connected to DSL or Fiber, that is a different story.

On to the usage in a RV question.  I don't think there is enough data complied to judge durability bouncing around in a coach.  I have replaced many TVs in RVs, but only one because of failure.  That one had a history of power supply failures, and was unrelated to it's environment.  There are some people who like specific brands - kinda like Ford vs Chevy.  Some Smart TVs integrate better with different Smart Phone and HotSpots than others.  Especially if you plan on casting or mirroring you phone.  But that will be based upon your current cell phone brand.   

If you have specific questions, ask away, I'm sure there are many willing to help answer.

Awesome input and lots to consider. Thanks