Surge protectors

Paul Busch

I have the progressive in my 5vr, hardwired with the readout inside. It’s trustworthy. 

Just put Hughes Watchdog in my coach. It works fine as well. It’s also hardwired and has Bluetooth so you can see the info on your phone. 

Ones made in Mexico, the other in China 

I just installed a Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50 on my coach. I also had one in my other one as well. It is hard wired in cord bay so don’t have to worry about someone stealing it or mess with locking it. It checks voltages, grounds, open neutral, over under voltage as well as other things prior to engaging voltage and gives you constant digital readout as well. Not sure you can beat the Amazon pricing either if $267 shipped.

Progressive Industries, Hughes, and SurgeGuard are all popular, reputable brands, although a strong majority on this site prefer the Progressive Industries EMS-HW-50C based on the experience of our members over the years that this group has been around - both on Yahoo! Groups and now here.  It's a very robust unit with great customer service and a good warranty.  I believe @Tom Cherry has an excellent write-up on the installation (possibly in the files section?)

Here's the installation I did myself in my coach using Tom's guidance:

PI Surge Protector

Progressive Industries EMS-HW-50C installed with display and display switch in electrical bay. (Note: Display and Display Switch are held on transfer switch with velcro in case I need to remove them.)

PI Indoor Display

PI EMS-RDS remote installed on my indoor display panel. 

1 minute ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Progressive Industries, Hughes, and SurgeGuard are all popular, reputable brands, although a strong majority on this site prefer the Progressive Industries EMS-HW-50C based on the experience of our members over the years that this group has been around - both on Yahoo! Groups and now here.  It's a very robust unit with great customer service and a good warranty.  I believe @Tom Cherry has an excellent write-up on the installation (possibly in the files section?)

Here's the installation I did myself in my coach using Tom's guidance:

PI Surge Protector

Progressive Industries EMS-HW-50C installed with display and display switch in electrical bay.

PI Indoor Display

Indoor remote installed on my indoor display panel. 

That’s the unit in my 5vr, easy to wire and as well. It has a great rep on 5ver sites as well. You can’t go wrong with it. I just wanted the blue tooth side of the Hughes as I love the VictronConnect in my 5ver and will be adding it to coach. So it’s just a techie thing. If you are not into the Bluetooth, I’d go with the progressive 

• Like 1

Just now, JDCrow said:

That’s the unit in my 5vr, easy to wire and as well. It has a great rep on 5ver sites as well. You can’t go wrong with it. I just wanted the blue tooth side of the Hughes as I love the VictronConnect in my 5ver and will be adding it to coach. So it’s just a techie thing. If you are not into the Bluetooth, I’d go with the progressive 

Since I have a "connected coach" I would love to have a Bluetooth unit!  ...but alas, I installed this almost 4 years ago before I started adding all the connected gadgets.

I also installed the same Progressive Industries unit as Scotty H. using advice found on this forum and the instructions with the device.  The install is not that difficult with the hardest part being getting access.  On my first trip after installing it the first place I plugged in had the neutral and hot wires switched and the surge protector showed an error code and did not let power pass to the coach.  Very thankful for the advice on this forum and would recommend a top quality hardwired surge protector be installed in all RV's!

Southwire makes a good one, the SurgeGuard 35550, and it is available with a remote display if you need one.  When connecting shore power it goes through diagnostics and if the power is not clean or wired correctly will throw an error and NOT CONNECT your RV.  It is also less expensive than the Progressive versions.

Surge Guard RV Power Protection | Southwire RV 

Surge Guard 35550 Hardwire Model - 50 Amp - Walmart.com - Walmart.com currently on sale at Walmart for $242.95

Installation is the same as any of the others.  Find a reasonably accessible location near the shore power supply cable, cut the shore power cable before the transfer switch and wire the device in line.

Edited by 6Wheels
sp

I have a Hughes Watchdog hard wired. Not hard to install took me less than hour. The part I like most is the App that gives instant readout of volt and amps on each leg of power through bluetooth. Also after it saves your coach from so many electrical spikes, you don't have to throw it away just buy a new $35 replacement part and you are good to go again. It also automatically resets it's self once a problem has been taken care of.

• Like 1

Paul I don't think you can go wrong with the Progressive Unit,I have had one for 13+years on my Diplomat and has saved me many times from faulty/low power posts.I believe they still have LIFETIME warranty,if fails send it in to them and you'llbe back to new...no charge to you. Not the cheapest by any means but the decesion I had to make when deciding which brand was considering their reputation and reviews on this site no bad reviews.I felt it was one of those things where you got the peace of mind and protection you(I) was seeking! One of those decissions one has to ask self...do I want to be partially or totaly protected and save that money somewhere else....electrical failures burn and cost alot of $'s and disruption. Still feel and have had several electricians tell me cannot get a better one,cheaper yes quality no.Not often today do we get what we pay for ,I feel this is one where you do,FWIW... Good Luck!

Bruce Crocker

2004 Diplomat40"{DQ

Paul,

You are welcome!You won't regret the purchase.I did the portable you plug into post when I decided to purchase I was getting ready for extended trip and did not have time to put hard wired unit in and this filled the bill so to speak. They both do same thing you just have to separately plug it to the post then your power cord to bus.

Bruce Crocker

04Diplomat40'PDQ

My tale of woe ->  A few years ago without doing any research, I purchased Camco's Power Defender.  It worked great for a couple of years but it rained almost everyday while camped in Dessert Hot Springs about 3 years ago and the unit's seals failed miserably allowing almost a 1/2 cup of water inside.  The next time I went to use it, it sounded like a buzz saw.  I opened it up and all that water poured out!  The electronics are fried.  I email Camco asking where to send the thing to be serviced and was told there was no service available.  I'm sorry but something this expensive (over $250) should be serviceable in my opinion.  The unit was never submersed in water but hung on the MH out in the rain.  The seals should have prevented this.  You live and learn and sometimes get to pass on your knowledge to help other avoid the same mistake.  Steer clear of this boat anchor and go with one from a company that will stand behind it's products.

rid560946_r2_1000.jpg