Cruise control problem

04 Dynasty,  400 ISL, Today while traveling in NC, the cruise control stopped working. Pushed SET again and it worked for less than a minute. Shutoff cruise and tried again to no avail. Now it won't engage at all but light on dash says it's on. Jake is off....anyone ever experience this before?

Any chance the ATC light is flashing? 

Just a hunch . . . . maybe barking up the wrong tree (turned out to be a clogging fuel filter / ISC engine).  My cruise was downshifting the transmission, but cruise stayed engaged.  Early symptom was a ATC light flashing. 

- bob

Check that all the functions of the Smart wheel work…some may not. If not, start with the plug at the base of the steering column…remove and clean.

There is a Smart wheel troubleshooting procure using a blinking led on the controller in the FRB…takes two people.

While looking at the controller, check for a burnt headlight plug.

• 3 years later...

I looked there and did not find it Maybe I'm not sure what looks like. about 6" square with 6 or so wires plugged in. 

Is there a number or some other identifying thing.

Timaz996

I don't have anything that looks like yours. Nothing on firewall above generator. Can pull radio out a little but can't really behind the dashboard.

Just plain lost at this moment. I'll find it sooner or later. Everything works on wheel accept cruise.

thanks

This makes sense. There is a panel that is just to the left of left leg sitting in chair. Did you remove the panel to get access?

Hi Harry,

I removed the panel and yes lots of wires but could not find the controller. Open the black box around steering column, nothing. Went out again and check electric service box and again open generator slide and check again. NOTHING

Behind the panel I thought was a sure bet. Laid on back with flash light and a small mirror to look behind dash. A lot of wires there as well. NOTHING

I think after lunch I'll go and remove panel again.

Thanks

Fred L

removed panel again and the panel on top that gives a little more sight availability. NOTHING

Only thing left is to open the dash board. That will be a mess.

Decided to remove one side of the black box around steering column to see where the wires go from the steering wheel.

Found a white wire that was broken. The wire was next to each other but not touching. The group goes up behind dash.  think I'll connect the 2 and see if the cruise light comes on.

IMG_6402 broken wire.jpg

Another 2002 Windsor owner doesn't have cruise, he found the same cut wire.  I have a Chassis Wiring diagram for a 2002 Windsor and I could not identify the wire he found.  It had number on it but not text.   He did not connect not being sure what the wire was. 

The VIP system only has 4 wires from the steering column,  there are wires coming out of the VIP module that go to all the things it controls.  

So I'm doubting that harness with the cut wire has anything to do with cruise control.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, timaz996 said:

Because just what Harry said. He’d be amazed at the differences of the same model and year coaches.

Politely said.  Someone that has a Diplomat (say 2002) can not even safely say that a part (like the VIP Controller) will ALWAYS BE... Behind this panel...as in "THAT IS WHERE MINE IS"....when helping a 2005 Navigator owner....and VICE VERSA

Now carry that a bit further.  Someone who has a 2009 Camelot tells a 2002 Windsor owner to look for "This part" and posts a photo. The odds of those two "components" being the same and from the same vendor....about the same as winning the power ball lottery.

We, the staff, often caution members to review the recommendations.  If the recommendation says "WITH CERTAINITY" that this is the solution or what you need to know...just be cognizant that if it is NOT the same YEAR and MODEL, then you are now a GHOST BUSTER.  As in Chasing a GHOST that does NOT live in your rig.

YES...in theory or concept....Monaco used the same type of components... BUT, even year to year...as in the 2006, 7 and 8 Dynasty....Monaco used THREE different types of "Water Pump" ON/OFF circuits.  So, 2008 owner tells 200 owner to LOOK HERE.  That switch panel does NOT exist.  The 2006 has a SINGLE switch...and his PUMP ON is NOT on a Lighted Panel.  He don't have the lighted panel in his service bay.

READ the recommendations.  Check the rig of the person making the post.  BUT, be aware....your RIG may not have that part... or it is does...it can be in the rear run bay and the other is in the front and they are different manufacturers and look totally different.

• Like 1

It could also be a Clock-Spring problem in your steering column. That would also need to be tested.

Do you have your owner's manual for the VIP Model Steering Wheel you have in your Camelot? That has good troubleshooting steps to work through to find your exact problem. However, you do need to find the VIP Control Box first!

• Like 1