New tires coming..........

woodylmiller

Took several days, many phone calls, and websites claiming to have the tires when they didn't, but, 8 TOYO M144, 295/80r/22.5's are on their way.  $4,100 total delivered to my house.  Shipped via FedEx and should be here in 2 or 3 days.  Got them from "tires-easy.com".  Girl said they had "a lot" of them.  I had given up on finding the TOYO's and was going to go with Falken's, motorhometires.com told me that there were 11 of that size tires in North America.  Another dealer told me less than a dozen Michelins and fewer yet of the TOYO's.  No tire shop within 100 miles of me had my size tires and they had no idea when they could get them.  I will say that I could buy 295/75r/22.5 all day long.  I took Frank's advice and stuck with the 80r's, a big thank you to Frank, his wisdom and knowledge is priceless.

Reason for lack of tires, no shipping containers.  Rumor is Amazon has under contract or bought most of the containers, therefore no way to get the tires here.  Also, they are expecting a 20 to 30% price increase when the tires do get here.

So, for tonight there is reason to celebrate in the Miller household.  New tires, before inflation hits.  The TOYO's were $431 apiece before some of our state fees.

Woody Miller

• Like 1

Me too, I’m having my girlfriends son check on that this morning. He’s manager at a auto/ truck service center. 

4 hours ago, duncan8846@att.net said:

So Woody,  Where do you get them installed?  I hope whoever it doesn’t stick it to you for installation costs

Duncan H

former 05 Windsor owner now driving a 2014 Entegra Anthem

Boss tire in Dallas quoted me de-mount mount  and balance on 8 tires at $545.00. Including tax and disposal fee

I got scared with all the talk of shortages and just ordered 8 295/80/22.5 Hercules strong guard 18 ply from motorhometires.com. Mounted and balanced here at my place.

A little under $4300.

I just couldn't make myself spring for the extra cash for the toyos and since the tires are 11 years old on this rig I really didn't want to drive it anywhere to have them mounted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FishAR said:

I got scared with all the talk of shortages and just ordered 8 295/80/22.5 Hercules strong guard 18 ply from motorhometires.com. Mounted and balanced here at my place.

A little under $4300.

I just couldn't make myself spring for the extra cash for the toyos and since the tires are 11 years old on this rig I really didn't want to drive it anywhere to have them mounted.

This all came together pretty quick. They called me back and said I can probably have them installed next Wednesday. 

Also said their installer would prefer to install them at his shop and they'd knock $200 off if I drove it there. I told them the tires were dated 2010 and I was afraid to drive it there, that's why I used their service. I can only imagine what it would cost if I popped a tire on that 15 mile drive.

I was quoted a price of $30 per tire for mounting and balancing.  There will be an extra charge for say adding the bags of beads for the front steer tires.  The TOYO M144 is an all position tire, regional use.  Should be just fine for motorhome.  I do not know about the date code on the tires I bought.  I will be fine with them being several months old, even a year.  To honest with you it was more important just to find tires.  I was beginning to lose hope on finding anything.  I had quotes on TOYO's at $6500 and Michelin's at $7100.  And that shop had only found a few of each tire.  I'm guessing things will get worse before they get better.  And a big price increase when the tires do come back in stock.

Woody Miller

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got 7 new Hercules installed yesterday. One came with hole in the sidewall where a forklift had impaled it.

So I'm waiting for the 8th one. Just got a call that it could be a few weeks before they get one, but I'm not going anywhere anyhow.

Any one who has purchased new tires that are a different brand or size, that you had, think about doing a re weigh of the coach to obtain, establish,  correct inflation for them,  from your  Tire Mfg. Inflation chart?

Edited by Paul A.
grammer

• 2 weeks later...

Got all the new tires installed.  The kids at the shop would in normal times put this shop out of business.  What a mess.  Lube oil all over the rims from the install.  How long would it have taken one of those lazy kids to clean the rims?  30 minutes top.  Instead I had to clean them up when I got home.  I'll have to "re-do" one of the air line extenders after one of the idiots couldn't seem to get it back where it was.  Just terrible sloppy work, but then what do expect when no one wants to work?  Unemployment is still paying more than minimum wage so...........

I guess the owner didn't care since I didn't buy the tires from him.  Easy decision, $4k online vs $6.5k from him and at first he said he couldn't get them.  I paid total about $500 for mounting and beads in all 8 tires.  And an hour of my time cleaning the rims and 2 grand in my pocket from buying online.  So yea, I rolled out of there with 8 disgusting looking rims, but that shop will never see another dollar from me.

Side note: no one wants to work.  Local Napa store has reduced hours and closing early due to lack of workers.  Time to put the golden goose on the chopping block and cut the money off.  Work or starve.

• Like 4

Woody

My dad taught us a couple things work hard and be kind, and when things get tough work harder.

He has used the golden goose phrase for the 57 years that I have been on this earth, I used it with my kids.

We are experiencing the same problem in our part of the country. 

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Wayne, my Dad had a rule for us kids; your choice, school or work, but you're not sitting around the house.  We didn't have a summer vacation when school let out.  We either went to summer school or found a job.  I quit a job when I was 16 cause it involved more physical labor than I wanted to give.  So my Dad took me out to the backyard to discuss the matter.  I'll never forget that right hand knocking me upside the head.  That was the last time I ever quit a job while I was still living at home.  I never thanked him for that lesson, but I should have.

Woody Miller

• Like 1

Why do people think they should buy motor coach tires

Onl gy makes those and they are the worst tire known to mankind. I think Continental has motor coach tires but not much size choice. Most mfrs. have steer or multi position tires that can be used on a MH. Often this is noted in the literature. If not just call the mfr. tech support  and they will recommend a suitable tire. Bu these are not specifically  mh tires. They are truck tires that will work.

The only difference between coach tires and truck tires is the compound has treatment for UV to prevent cracking from the sun.  Typical RV use is low miles so the treads never see enough wear to prompt replacement.  We are due for replacements at 9 years, kept indoors the whole time less camping.  No cracks. 

Goodyear G670 275/70-R22.5 Sept2012

Looking at Continental and Michelin for replacement, soon.  Would consider any quality tire except if made in or by chyna.

I went to the Bridgestone web site. There is only one tire exclusively for a coach. It only comes in a 315/80 . Very aggressive tread. I would never put them on any mh. Maybe on a Prevost. There are a few tires listed that are primarily for trucks but also can be used on a coach. So to repeat what I wrote there really are no specific motor home tires other than the g 670

Anyone using those  is engaging in Russian roulette. 

Even Michelin does not make rv specific motor home tires. They dud have one tire that was popular on  smaller motorhomes about 10 years ago. They cracked like crazy

I have not checked lately but most mfrs. use Michelin. I have seen a few with Contimentals. They stopped using Toyo after a problem  on National/ Country Coach. I think Toyo said it was front axle overweight problem.

The Michelin X Coach Z, and the XZA2 Energy are labeled coach and RV tires by Michelin, although after 3 sets that cracked in 3 1/2 years I'll never use them again.  Toyo calls its M144 a regional and urban bus tire.  Continental calls its HA3 a coach tire.  If you are only referring to its particular UV protection I think you are missing out on some excellent tires.  We have had the M144's on for 4 years, excellent ride, better than the Michelins in my opinion and my wife's.  Still look like new 40,000 miles in.  I wouldn't put another GY on our coach even if they said they were fully protected from sun, ozone, UV, etc, they are still awful tires in my opinion.