Replacement Accumulator Tank, Options and experience?

Bjohnsonmn

Water pressure accumulator tank replacement, 2000 Windsor 32PB
OE or Aftermarket...?

I pulled our 2 gallon tank today in preparation for our inverter replacement. It is full of water and has no pressure... it's dead.

Question: is there an aftermarket tank that others have had good luck with? The OE is still available for over $230. Many aftermarket alternatives for $50. Does anyone have hands on experience with a brand other than the OE brand? I am attaching a photo of the OE for reference. I am one to stick with OE, however, I have a hard time believing that there is only one manufacturer of 2 gallon accumulator tanks on earth given these are used in coaches, boats, shop bathrooms, etc.

20220502_202648.jpg

You are looking for 2 gallon (or more if it will fit) with a 3/4" inlet.

They are all the same.  They all fail eventually (as yours did).

Save the money and buy a $55 one.  I have several.

Of course you can also upgrade your pump to a variable speed and eliminate the pressure tank...then keep your current pump as a spare.

15 minutes ago, DavidL said:

You are looking for 2 gallon (or more if it will fit) with a 3/4" inlet.

They are all the same.  They all fail eventually (as yours did).

Save the money and buy a $55 one.  I have several.

Of course you can also upgrade your pump to a variable speed and eliminate the pressure tank...then keep your current pump as a spare.

It would be fantastic to eliminate the tank. Do you have one you like?

Make sure your water pump even needs an accumulator. My pump went out, ordered a direct replacement and read the enclosed directions for install. It plainly states NOT to use an accumulator, only i'm looking at the one installed at the Monaco factory. These viable speed/displacement pumps no longer need it and it frees up more space. Hope this helps someone.

My tank was installed  horizontally so I went with the original Jabsco. The less expensive tanks could only be mounted vertically and it would have been a lot of work to change the plumbing. It was a very congested space with Glendinning hose reel and power chord reel all in the water bay,

I concur with Old Dog. Put in a nice variable speed pump and delete the accumulator tank. You will a much quieter pump experience and as stated pick up some extra space. 

I did previously on my Dynasty and then when I switched to my Executive I made the same change. 

Ken

I bought one of these off EBay, (though there are other suppliers) and fitted a 1” to 3/4” adapter. Even if the bladder fails, replacements are available for not a lot. They also do smaller sizes.

peterimage.thumb.jpeg.5f5ca08422df8509fd25a4760cecec90.jpeg

Edited by hitechpete
Additional info.

As it turns out, the previous owner put this pump in:

image.thumb.png.1b22baff052f719a693b2478e89f5af5.png

According to the manufacturer's website, the 4008 series does not require an accumulator tank. So, I guess I lucked out unless someone tells me that this 4008 does need a tank.

Edited by Bjohnsonmn

58 minutes ago, Twomed said:

Y, I didn't do much shopping, was just looking for a pic / model that I have.  But that's a good price!

40 minutes ago, Bjohnsonmn said:

As it turns out, the previous owner put this pump in:

image.thumb.png.1b22baff052f719a693b2478e89f5af5.png

According to the manufacturer's website, the 4008 series does not require an accumulator tank. So, I guess I lucked out unless someone tells me that this 4008 does need a tank.

I don't think that Shurflo 4008 is variable speed....so I would use an accumulator with that one to minimize cycling on / off with low flow conditions.

3 minutes ago, DavidL said:

Y, I didn't do much shopping, was just looking for a pic / model that I have.  But that's a good price!

I don't think that Shurflo 4008 is variable speed....so I would use an accumulator with that one to minimize cycling on / off with low flow conditions.

That is what I was wondering too, but then this is what I read in the Pentair docs:

image.thumb.png.16ed713487c94276a4868fbd64d78565.png

On 5/2/2022 at 7:22 PM, Bjohnsonmn said:

Water pressure accumulator tank replacement, 2000 Windsor 32PB
OE or Aftermarket...?

I pulled our 2 gallon tank today in preparation for our inverter replacement. It is full of water and has no pressure... it's dead.

Question: is there an aftermarket tank that others have had good luck with? The OE is still available for over $230. Many aftermarket alternatives for $50. Does anyone have hands on experience with a brand other than the OE brand? I am attaching a photo of the OE for reference. I am one to stick with OE, however, I have a hard time believing that there is only one manufacturer of 2 gallon accumulator tanks on earth given these are used in coaches, boats, shop bathrooms, etc.

Over the years, I've replaced water pumps a few times and have gradually gone downward in terms of price and features. When our accumulator tank failed, I tried the whole "buy an expensive variable speed pump and you don't need an accumulator thing", but wasn't happy with that. I'd capped off the accumulator after it failed but actually removed it when I had to change out the Aqua-Hot and it was in the way if the hose connections (different story!)

A few years ago, I settled on a basic SeaFlo water pump and found a mated accumulator. I added that and have been happy. And the 3-ish GPM pump is very quiet and puts out better flow and pressure than many campgrounds. I realized we don't need a 5.7 GPM pump through personal experience.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUYL8F8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 minutes ago, georgecederholm said:

Over the years, I've replaced water pumps a few times and have gradually gone downward in terms of price and features. When our accumulator tank failed, I tried the whole "buy an expensive variable speed pump and you don't need an accumulator thing", but wasn't happy with that. I'd capped off the accumulator after it failed but actually removed it when I had to change out the Aqua-Hot and it was in the way if the hose connections (different story!)

A few years ago, I settled on a basic SeaFlo water pump and found a mated accumulator. I added that and have been happy. And the 3-ish GPM pump is very quiet and puts out better flow and pressure than many campgrounds. I realized we don't need a 5.7 GPM pump through personal experience.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUYL8F8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like a nice option and saves space. I am going to try out my tankless setup for now but keep this on my radar. Which SeaFlo did you go with and how have you liked it?

12 minutes ago, Bjohnsonmn said:

Looks like a nice option and saves space. I am going to try out my tankless setup for now but keep this on my radar. Which SeaFlo did you go with and how have you liked it?

Brad,

I went with the SeaFlo 33-series about 3 years ago and have been very happy with it. It's not completely silent but makes just enough sound that I can tell when it's running. I like the auditory confirmation sometimes.

https://www.amazon.com/Diaphragm-Priming-Gallons-Marine-Demand/dp/B00P8BE6S8/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2YGL326BAMPLM&keywords=seaflo+42+series+12v+3.0+gpm+variable-flow+water+pump&qid=1651677746&sprefix=seaflo+42%2Caps%2C224&sr=8-6

Last year I found the 42-series pump on clearance at a Camping World and picked that up as a spare. I'll likely swap that one in in a couple of years so it doesn't age out due to inactivity...

Hey on the failed accumulator for what its worth department i have to have one on my sticks an bricks home, for reasons to much to put in this text. That said about every few years i realize the cushion effect is too harsh. There is a air fitting on the outside that uses a regular tire pressure gauge, i have found  by connecting to it that the air pressure drops to “0” once i reinflate it it works great for a few more years. I figure between the the valve core seal or ??? It drops pressure, just saying might be worh a try.104A53A5-DFAF-4BAE-AD34-ADD6E372CCD0.thumb.jpeg.2e82e644925dcb87474d807ea78c6f78.jpeg

I found out last fall while winterizing my coach that my accumulator tank had failed.  So I decided to get a replacement pump and accumulator tank.  While installing the new pump this week I noticed like others have stated, that the replacement pump, a 4008 series, does not need an accumulator tank. Finished the job today leaving out the tank and going with just the pump, I notice the pump puts out better pressure and is so quiet I can't hear it while running water in the kitchen faucet.  I will keep the old pump for a backup and connect the tank if using the old pump. Good luck with the project! 

8 hours ago, StephenW said:

I found out last fall while winterizing my coach that my accumulator tank had failed.  So I decided to get a replacement pump and accumulator tank.  While installing the new pump this week I noticed like others have stated, that the replacement pump, a 4008 series, does not need an accumulator tank. Finished the job today leaving out the tank and going with just the pump, I notice the pump puts out better pressure and is so quiet I can't hear it while running water in the kitchen faucet.  I will keep the old pump for a backup and connect the tank if using the old pump. Good luck with the project! 

Thank you for the first hand report with the 4008!

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I hope I worded the original post in a way that will help others as well.