2006 Dynasty - Electrical Issues-Bay Locks Stuck - Wont open with Key

LakeBob

Trying to help neighbor in our RV park.   Recently deceased husband, however she got her license and brought her 43 ft Dynasty down to Florida for the winter on her own.  Upon arrival she plugged into our brand new park's Power center, 50 AMP service.  She noticed right away there were issues, ( I dont know exactly what these were).  Maintenance came, told her to plug into another pole and they would have this one "fixed".  

Her primary issues now are: 

1. The electric locks on her bay doors are preventing the key lock from opening the bay doors.   I've read that this can occur when the locks are overloaded for an extended period of time causing damage and "melting" them in place.    They never used the electric locks previously, and never had the keypad programmed.  We found the reset for the exterior keypad and tried to reset, however it would not respond to input.   

Any one familiar with this issue?   Any easy way to get into these bays?   The key will turn down into the lock position, however will not turn the lock cylinder to the unlocked position.  Bay doors are locked on both sided of the effected bays.

2. Washing machine issue, wont drain any longer. I did not look at the brand, I know its a combo unit. 

3. Electric side of Aqua hot will not turn on.   Diesel side works ok. 

The park sent a tech out, he did a few random checks and told her to call Monaco and a locksmith..............

Thanks for any ideas suggestions, I'm trying to help her as I can. I

My thoughts: 

1. Electric door actuators are fried, need to drill a hole in the exterior lock to get to the rod to force open?

2. Moste likely a damaged board or motor on the washer?

3. Damaged board on the Aqua Hot?    Is there any other resets?   I'm not sure of her model yet. 

Any good suggestions for a Monaco repair facility or a knowledgeable mobile repair tech?   We are in Palmetto FL, just southwest of Tampa Bay. 

Thanks All!!

If the washer is a Splendide, have her call the mfgr or I can attach some troubleshooting information if you would like. 

I would think a mobile rv tech versus someone the park sent out could address all of those issues quickly.

All locks not working is very strange. Even if they were all melted inside for some reason and jamming things up I would think getting inside you may be able to crawl to the other locks and disassemble from inside versus damaging all of them. 

I know nothing of the aquahot system but there are some real experts here. 

36 minutes ago, myrontruex said:

If the washer is a Splendide, have her call the mfgr or I can attach some troubleshooting information if you would like. 

I would think a mobile rv tech versus someone the park sent out could address all of those issues quickly.

All locks not working is very strange. Even if they were all melted inside for some reason and jamming things up I would think getting inside you may be able to crawl to the other locks and disassemble from inside versus damaging all of them. 

I know nothing of the aquahot system but there are some real experts here. 

The fist mobile tech was worthless.   We cannot acces the locked bays from either side.  

Hopefully we can find a good tech or an easy way to get into these latches, or both! 

1 hour ago, LakeBob said:

Trying to help neighbor in our RV park.   Recently deceased husband, however she got her license and brought her 43 ft Dynasty down to Florida for the winter on her own.  Upon arrival she plugged into our brand new park's Power center, 50 AMP service.  She noticed right away there were issues, ( I dont know exactly what these were).  Maintenance came, told her to plug into another pole and they would have this one "fixed".  

Her primary issues now are: 

1. The electric locks on her bay doors are preventing the key lock from opening the bay doors.   I've read that this can occur when the locks are overloaded for an extended period of time causing damage and "melting" them in place.    They never used the electric locks previously, and never had the keypad programmed.  We found the reset for the exterior keypad and tried to reset, however it would not respond to input.   

Any one familiar with this issue?   Any easy way to get into these bays?   The key will turn down into the lock position, however will not turn the lock cylinder to the unlocked position.  Bay doors are locked on both sided of the effected bays.

2. Washing machine issue, wont drain any longer. I did not look at the brand, I know its a combo unit. 

3. Electric side of Aqua hot will not turn on.   Diesel side works ok. 

The park sent a tech out, he did a few random checks and told her to call Monaco and a locksmith..............

Thanks for any ideas suggestions, I'm trying to help her as I can. I

My thoughts: 

1. Electric door actuators are fried, need to drill a hole in the exterior lock to get to the rod to force open?

2. Moste likely a damaged board or motor on the washer?

3. Damaged board on the Aqua Hot?    Is there any other resets?   I'm not sure of her model yet. 

Any good suggestions for a Monaco repair facility or a knowledgeable mobile repair tech?   We are in Palmetto FL, just southwest of Tampa Bay. 

Thanks All!!

First….I would have her notify the park and tell them that they may be liable for damages resulting from a faulty pedestal.  The electrical issues, assuming they were not present before are alarming…..in that….

Door Locks are 12 DC powered.  There is no crossover,,other than the inverter circuit and charging.  So a “voltage spike” as in a faulty pedestal may have damaged or caused a high 12 VDC.  Now….the specifics…..if the door locks are Trimark (easy to identify from grab handle and the remotes or the control box COULD have been caused by a “short in the wiring”.  We had a member with a similar issue many years ago.  His system was a bit newer, but Trimark. He reported that he was “messing” around behind the dash and somehow got the Trimark control box in a funk and it sent out a prolonged pulse.  There are two different styles of the locking  solenoids.  Monaco used the cheaper “short” ones and they burn up when an extended or constant pulse is sent out.  He replaced these with the upgraded longer or heavy duty ones….that’s about as much as I know….but one does wonder….although the 50 amp service does not interface with the door locks.

Next up is the washer.  That IS a 120 VAC appliance.  Agin, one has to wonder how the control board got messed up.

Next is Aqua Hot.  That is a 12 VDC system that uses a main control board for the boiler heating.  I would suggest that you look at the AH panel.  There is a small hole for something like a bent paper clip or a very thin wooden dowel or plastic pin to push in the “reset”. If there was LOW Battery voltage, then there will be a light.

Reset it.  The electric MAY be working as the indicator light on the switch could have burned out.  Simple way to test….turn off diesel.  Do the reset.  Leave the electric switch on, even if no night.  Then run off the hot water until Luke warm or cold comes out.  Then wait an hour or two….open the same faucet and see if the water is hot again.  IF so, all is well and indicator light is out.

BUT you gotta wonder about all these gremlins and whether they have common DNA

UPDATE: The coach is a 2006 Executive Denali.  

Today I looked for the remote panel for the surge guard system, She has a Surge Guard 40250 switch mounted int the one bay that is open.   No electric locks, they had been removed.  I assume this switch also provides surge protection?  

The telephone wire for the remote is plugged into the switch, however I cannot find a remote display.  The coach does have an Alladin system.   I did find the section similar to my remote display listing Line voltages and amp draws, however I could not locate any fault codes as I can on mine. 

Is there a way to access fault codes using the Alladin system ?

Thanks!

Edited by LakeBob
Corrected Surge Gurad Model Number

Additional Question:  Regarding the Surge Guard 30250,  Can you clear the fault codes displayed on a remote panel.  My coach has 50 old faults logged, Would lilke to clear.  

Suggest contacting, Don't laugh 😂 too much--Camping World located next to the villages, in Wildwood Florida  

It used to be Alliance Coach. 

They (Alliance aka now Camping World)until a few years ago, were the largest Monaco service center in the southern US. The facility has over 20 service bays for just class A"s, full wood fab shop and full service body and paint booth. Also, full on site hook ups while you're waiting to get a bay and a tech. Many of the factory trained Monaco techs are still employed there. Sometimes you just got to go where the mechanics with the grey hair are--lol. 

My contact there is: Dottie, in parts. She has been there at the dealership no matter who owned it,for over 20 years. She knows Monaco coaches from top to bottom and which mechanics that you'll want to work on your coach.  At one time they swapped out so many Nocold units that they kept a supply of Samsung residential units in stock. They were high because they were a dealer but I had no complaints on the quality of the work, it was well done. 

Dottie will tell you flat out the older Monaco's beat the newer products hands down. 

here is Dottie's number  

352-330-3837

They are in central/ north Florida area. 

Hope this info is of assistance. 

thx

v/r

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 5:18 PM, LakeBob said:

UPDATE: The coach is a 2006 Executive Denali.  

Today I looked for the remote panel for the surge guard system, She has a Surge Guard 40250 switch mounted int the one bay that is open.   No electric locks, they had been removed.  I assume this switch also provides surge protection?  

The telephone wire for the remote is plugged into the switch, however I cannot find a remote display.  The coach does have an Alladin system.   I did find the section similar to my remote display listing Line voltages and amp draws, however I could not locate any fault codes as I can on mine. 

Is there a way to access fault codes using the Alladin system ?

Thanks!

I am not familiar with the Aladdin system. I am able to read line voltages and amp usage from the Aladdin screen. 

Is there a way to read the fault codes from the Adladdin screen?   

The coach does not have the remote read out that my 2009 has.

Thanks!!!

Bob

• 11 months later...
On 1/27/2023 at 11:50 AM, LakeBob said:

I am not familiar with the Aladdin system. I am able to read line voltages and amp usage from the Aladdin screen. 

Is there a way to read the fault codes from the Adladdin screen?   

The coach does not have the remote read out that my 2009 has.

Thanks!!!

Bob

If there is a fault it will automatically appear on the Aladdin electrical screen.  No fault, no message.  Are both legs reading normally?

23 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

My TriMark electric bay door locks all failed together in the unlock position. Can see it being a nightmare if they failed locked!

I no longer have electric bay door locks!

This is a bit unnerving for those of us with these locks.  I sure like the electric power bay locks. Any input on what can be done to prevent this issue? 06 Dynasty with Trimark lock system. 

1 minute ago, rustykramermetalfab said:

This is a bit unnerving for those of us with these locks.  I sure like the electric power bay locks. Any input on what can be done to prevent this issue? 06 Dynasty with Trimark lock system. 

They claim their new improved electric actuators will kick-out before they have a complete meltdown.

Unfortunately, some modifications need to be made to each mounting bracket to fit them. They are not a direct bolt on replacement!

2 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

They claim their new improved electric actuators will kick-out before they have a complete meltdown.

Unfortunately, some modifications need to be made to each mounting bracket to fit them. They are not a direct bolt on replacement!

OK will call to check thanks EVO. 

This issue was the result of bad power post wiring in a brand-new RV park.   The electrical contractor was not the best.   Several people had damage to the electric systems in their RV's due to errors made during power post installation.    The park did compensate those damaged parties.   Unfortunately, our friend was too nice and didn't push to get all the damage repaired. 

I believe there are many devices that will verify that the power your plugging into is good. 

I found this procedure that can be performed with a multimeter. 

Electric: 50 Amp Outlet Tester - All Things Foretravel 

The locking mechanism have to be maintained/lubricated on a regular basis.  Each of my bay doors with a lock have a small panel that can be removed to provide access to the lock and solenoid.  Every year I take the time to spray the locking mechanism with lubricant.  I test it with a key to see how easy it works. 

But even with that I have had trouble with a couple of the bay doors not wanting to unlock remotely and the key is sometimes hard to turn and will break a key off (ask me how I know).  The two worse ones are the wet bay and small door next to it.  These doors lift up and the striker plate/hole is on the bottom.  I too a drill and drilled a hole straight down so now I can take a screw driver and open the door in an emergency.   The first time I had to compare the location of the striker latch plate to that of the latch handle itself on another door, do some measuring, and drill the hole from the bottom. 

• Like 1

On lock issue try disconnecting batteries at cut off and then turn back on. We count get front door unlocked and this solved the issue

Washing machine is probably the drain pump is shot, that's what happened to ours

The absolute first thing I would do is to have a competent local electrical contractor stop by and verify the wiring on the electric post. They can do this with a meter in less than a minute and without disassembling anything. It is imperative this is done and documented without delay, and should be done before the facility has the opportunity to possibly correct a wiring issue if one indeed exists. Next, depending on what the electrician finds, your next conversation may be with the park owner.

This topic has now celebrated one year.  I contributed.  Lots of folks.  All I know is what has been posted many times over the last almost 14 years.

On the lower food chains, maybe even higher….there were two brands.  ESSEX snd TRIMARK.  Monsco purchased the low level actuators on the Trimarks….I suspect even on the Dynasty…

There are two versions of actuators….per Trimark.  Low and High. The low ends work.  But the coils and such are NOT as “robust”. Trimark recommends replacement with the upper or High end.  I do NOT know if you can intermix with the controller…TRIMARK is a wealth of info.  Call them.

I do know that some folks have damaged their locking system and shorted out the entire system or all of the locking solenoids.  They were “probing” or working inside the confines where the controller was located and shorted out or sent a continuous 12VDC to all solenoids and they burned out.  These solenoids are NOT 100% or full voltage rated.  They get a short pulse from the controller.  Short them out or make it continuous….they burn out the coil.

The upper or longer style solenoid is more robust and forgiving.  We had w knowledgeable and  electric savvy Camelot owner post the expensive results from burning up the 8 solenoids ( at least on my non tag).  Well over, many years ago, ago! $1200….he put back in the better ones…

A repeat post….but one that many read or were aware of…be careful…it does happen