looking for clarification on , can damage occur with power source mixed

Gweedo
Go to solution Solved by Ivylog,

2 hours ago, waterskier_1 said:

When most of us talk about "turning off the Inverter" we mean the "Inverter Function", not the box.   

I think the majority of Magnum inverter / charger owners understand what you mean when you say, "inverter was turned off".

That also includes their tech support, who I was on the phone with last week. He knew exactly what I meant when I said 'inverter is off'.

28 minutes ago, Martinvz said:

Tom & Rich, Thanks for the research and very detailed explanations. That clarifies a lot of the functionality and how the inverter and converter really works.

Great.  You are now ready for MAGNUM 201….LOL….  Sincerely hope you now understand how it works and why we make certain recommendations.

AS AN AFTERTHOUGHT. Occasionally, and it is happening more and more, all over the country, there will be a power blip or outage….some detectable….some not.  If your Magnum acts erratically, the first thing to do is Google (or it is in your manual) MAGNUM SOFT RESET.  Perform that.  Wait a few minutes….THEN turn it back on using the power button on the Inverter “cabinet”.  Then go from there…..

MODERATOR EDIT.

It  is against the Forums rules to start a similar topic that pertains to a recent thread.  In this case, referring to a comment from an different post.  That creates confusion and results in folks posting the same comments....as that has already been done.

Thanks for understanding.  This was merged to the topic where the original comment was made.

End of Edit.

I saw that Tom said you should never turn off the inverter when plugged to shore power . I always leave mine off unless we have no power and don't want run generator. Am I doing it wrong. I use to leave it on always but was told it would wear out faster. Which is correct?

Edited by Tom Cherry
Topic was already being discussed

15 minutes ago, grizzly said:

I saw that Tom said you should never turn off the inverter when plugged to shore power . I always leave mine off unless we have no power and don't want run generator. Am I doing it wrong. I use to leave it on always but was told it would wear out faster. Which is correct?

There is no 'correct' way!

I do the same as you, press inverting on button when I'm not on shore power, and need 120v power for something.

I don't care if I need to reset the microwave clock. Takes 5 seconds!

I doubt that you are "wearing out" the Inverter by leaving it "on" fulltime. The Xantrex/Trace Inverter in the Windsor is original and is still working as it should. I turned on the Inverter 24/7/365 when I owned it 18+ years and I assume the new owner is doing the same since he is a newbie and I have been coaching him on his new ownership.

What destroys an Inverter/Charger and your battery banks is using HIGH amp devices while on Inverter power. I have always used the generator when using the microwave, coffee machine, hair dryer, etc. basically any device that will draw a significant number of amps.

After all, it is either inverting or in standby mode.

Okay I have another question regarding the inverter.  I was heading out to have a slow leak tire looked at before leaving tomorrow.

I was plugged into shore power for months.

the inverter is on

I unplug shore power and GFI pops in about 5-seconds.  reset pops again.  reset and I check volt meter and it says 104 volts n pops

I start rig engine, reset GFI and it reads 105 n 106 but the GFI "doesn't" pop

House batteries I keep full and are only 4-months old

Other than the fridge the only thing I see on is the microwave timer

I started the genny and it looks like I'm pulling 1-2 amps

Kind of lost here, any suggestions

Thanks

3 hours ago, Gweedo said:

Okay I have another question regarding the inverter.  I was heading out to have a slow leak tire looked at before leaving tomorrow.

I was plugged into shore power for months.

the inverter is on

I unplug shore power and GFI pops in about 5-seconds.  reset pops again.  reset and I check volt meter and it says 104 volts n pops

I start rig engine, reset GFI and it reads 105 n 106 but the GFI "doesn't" pop

House batteries I keep full and are only 4-months old

Other than the fridge the only thing I see on is the microwave timer

I started the genny and it looks like I'm pulling 1-2 amps

Kind of lost here, any suggestions

Thanks

As Ben mentioned, you need an RMS reading Voltmeter to read correct voltage on Modified Sine Wave (MSW) inverter output.  Can you confirm whether it is the Ground Fault that is tripping, or the breaker itself?  Ground Fault trips when there is small current between ground and neutral.  It has nothing to do with overloading or current.  The Circuit Breaker part is what senses an overload or over current and trip.  Since they are each sensing something different, you need to determine which is "tripping" to sort the problem.

-Rick N.

3 hours ago, Gweedo said:

didn't know that.  wonder y with the engine on it didn't pop.  maybe Il turn off the mircro breaker n c if that does anything.  the samsung RF18 hardly pulls anything

I'm going to guess that if it doesn't trip with the engine running, then it may be a battery problem.  It sounds like the input voltage to the invert is too low, but once it's is getting charged by the engine alternator, it is now high enough.  Low voltage will result in higher current draw for the same load.  Is it just one breaker that is doing this?  

-Rick N.

1 hour ago, waterskier_1 said:

As Ben mentioned, you need an RMS reading Voltmeter to read correct voltage on Modified Sine Wave (MSW) inverter output.  Can you confirm whether it is the Ground Fault that is tripping, or the breaker itself?  Ground Fault trips when there is small current between ground and neutral.  It has nothing to do with overloading or current.  The Circuit Breaker part is what senses an overload or over current and trip.  Since they are each sensing something different, you need to determine which is "tripping" to sort the problem.

-Rick N.

I'm going to guess that if it doesn't trip with the engine running, then it may be a battery problem.  It sounds like the input voltage to the invert is too low, but once it's is getting charged by the engine alternator, it is now high enough.  Low voltage will result in higher current draw for the same load.  Is it just one breaker that is doing this?  

-Rick N.

Thanks for the response.  so it is the GFI itself that pops.   drove off to get the tire looked at (which they won't touch since its 6-years old btw) I ran the genny for 4-hours.  While driving I had my wife shut down the genny.  went onto the inverter and it popped 5-seconds.  left it off for ten minutes until I got home.  with the engine off I reset the gfi and it stayed on, I started the engine and it stayed on, I turned off the engine and it stayed on.  I thought maybe a loose wire, but it did it this morning while stationary..  we leave in the morning so I'll see how it goes.

1 minute ago, Gweedo said:

Thanks for the response.  so it is the GFI itself that pops.   drove off to get the tire looked at (which they won't touch since its 6-years old btw) I ran the genny for 4-hours.  While driving I had my wife shut down the genny.  went onto the inverter and it popped 5-seconds.  left it off for ten minutes until I got home.  with the engine off I reset the gfi and it stayed on, I started the engine and it stayed on, I turned off the engine and it stayed on.  I thought maybe a loose wire, but it did it this morning while stationary..  we leave in the morning so I'll see how it goes.

also I looked for a breaker for the micro, couldn't find one or a fuse for it.  all I see on is the micro timer, tv power and fridge