Alternator Rebuild Shop

Hey gang, could I get recommendations on alternator rebuild shops, preferably based on first-hand experience. (Also preferably in the southeast; Atlanta area would be awesome!)?

I have a 200 amp Leece-Neville alternator (off of a 2005 HR Imperial) that I would like to have rebuilt as a spare for our upcoming trip (August - Sept).

Also, any thoughts on the wisdom of rebuilding this one as a spare vs. just purchasing a new L-N (about $500!)

I can purchase the rebuild components from L-N. Is rebuilding it myself a viable option? (I don’t have a bearing press or equipment to easily test the rebuilt alternator.)

…and yes, I’ve searched the internet with no good results  (in my experience, most folks that still rebuild something like an alternator don’t have much of an online presence)

Thanks,
Scotty

PS - I’ll add any good recommendations based on first hand experience to our “Services” section, regardless of location.

Scotty, I got my rebuilt Lance-Neville, 200A, alternator from     Custom Electric Service Inc      216-524-9576

5530 Old Brecksville Rd

Independence, OH  44131

They are a rebuild shop and will swap with in stock units. 

I'm from NE Ohio.

Edited by Gary 05 AMB DST
not finished when sent
  • Like 1

Scotty,

I carry a spare that I had rebuilt in Anchorage AK on one of my trips up there to spend the summer. I had them take my failed 160-amp ALT and beef it up to a 200-amp ALT using Leece-Neville components.

The shop is called Central Pacific Rebuilders, 724 E 15th Ave, Anchorage, AK 99501

17 minutes ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Scotty, I got my rebuilt Lance-Neville, 200A, alternator from     Custom Electric Service Inc      216-524-9576

5530 Old Brecksville Rd

Independence, OH  44131

I'm from NE Ohio.

Sorry, DR4FILM made me think. I had a 160a but switched to 200a.

Gary 05 AMB DST

20 minutes ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

5530 Old Brecksville Rd

Independence, OH  44131

I'm from NE Ohio.

I lived in the Cleveland Area for 60 plus years until 3 years ago and used Custom Electric in my business.  They are a great shop and worth the shipping.   And I found another great rebuilding shop here in Tampa:  Hutcherson Alternators & Starters,  701 S. 50th St., Tampa, FL 33619  (813) 247-4365.  Both shops are fair and professional, the old fashion way!

Comment in general about LN Overhaul or rebuild.  

• Alway specify & confirm that only FACTORY GENUINE LN parts are used.
  • Always replace diodes, regardless of “tested and OK”
  • Always replace Voltage Regulator 
  • Don’t be Penny Wise & Pound Foolish on remaining parts.
  • Always clean up housing and inspect for microscopic cracks in mounting locations…especially where they join main housing.

• Like 1

Scotty,

When I needed mine rebuilt I contacted the purchasing department at the Mines I use to work at and they gave me the name of the local shop, this was in ~2012.  I took it to the shop, dropped it off and they turned it around in 24 hours,  $185 out the door but I gave them 2 bills to show my appreciation.    Not much help to you.

But call a local trucking or bus company that does their own maintenance and ask who they use.  I'm almost sure they'd give you a good recommendation. 

I'm wondering what is  the difference between rebuilt and remanufactured? If the shop doesn't rewind the alternator how do they determine the condition of the windings? I'm guessing that they megger the windings however a passing megger test doesn't predict the future. I'm thinking given the difficulty of accessing and replacing any component on our RV's, particularly the rear radiator models, is saving a couple hundred over new a good gamble? Not sure I would want to pay a shop in case I lost the wager on rebuilt/repaired.  Or even worse,  do it myself while everyone else is gathered around the barbecue holding their beer, anything but that one, and offering their advice.

Edited by Gary Cole

1 hour ago, Gary Cole said:

I'm wondering what is  the difference between rebuilt and remanufactured? If the shop doesn't rewind the alternator how do they determine the condition of the windings? I'm guessing that they megger the windings however a passing megger test doesn't predict the future. I'm thinking given the difficulty of accessing and replacing any component on our RV's, particularly the rear radiator models, is saving a couple hundred over new a good gamble? Not sure I would want to pay a shop in case I lost the wager on rebuilt/repaired.  Or even worse,  do it myself while everyone else is gathered around the barbecue holding their beer, anything but that one, and offering their advice.

The biggest challenge is in finding a shop that uses top quality OEM and not aftermarket lowest cost parts.  The rebuild shop also needs to do the proper inspections to be sure the windings, bearings,  and case components are OK or are replaced.  The best shops typically are local facilities used by large commercial fleets.