My Sanicon died today

Pduggs
Go to solution Solved by Dr4Film,

It must have been original to the coach. It gave great service for a long time. The motor gave up the ghost. 

I’m debating whether to go with the gravity dump, though I liked pressing a button to dump tanks and don’t relish going back to cleaning a stinky slinky.  

What have others done when their Sanicon died?

IMG_3399.jpeg

I ordered a new pump on Amazon. The Shurflo 3200-001 12V Macerator pump.  However I’m considering using the slinky as I’ve always carried it onboard, just in case. I was surprised how quickly it dumped my full grey tank. So, I may return the ordered pump. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pduggs said:

It must have been original to the coach. It gave great service for a long time. The motor gave up the ghost. 

I’m debating whether to go with the gravity dump, though I liked pressing a button to dump tanks and don’t relish going back to cleaning a stinky slinky.  

What have others done when their Sanicon died?

IMG_3399.jpeg

I put in  NEW motor.  I also rebuilt the head.  I THINK or was told that Sanicon stopped allowing the motors to be sold without going through a distributor....so Amazon?  But, that is where I got mine.  The Motor you have in yours may NOT be the original.  In 2008, the OEM motor was a 10 GPM.  Later they updated to a 14 GPM.  OPPS. That messed with the switch that Monaco put in.  I did a white paper or HOW TO UPGRADE the motor to a relay controlled one.  It has worked flawlessly since then.  I love it.  Others, not so...

This ain't exactly a NASA install.  Simple.  If you DO, upgrade to the Super Swoosh model, you WILL have to run a new line (maybe #10) as that SWOOSH requires a heavy load.  That is a decision that you will have to make.  Do the math on the new motor and the "head kit".  There are two pump kits.  One is the impeller and the gasket.  The other is the entire head kit with the infamous and hard to find skinny O-ring.  

Good Luck...

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

If you like the macerator that much then I would purchase the Thetford Sani-Con Turbo 400s Turbo model plus beef up the wiring to handle the extra power.

https://www.thetford.com/product/sani-con-turbo-400s-permanent-bayonet-mount/

I like the Sani-Con Turbo 400s Turbo and know it’s the best choice but at $400-$500, I think I’ll stick to the gravity dump and save a few bucks. 

• Like 2

• Solution
21 minutes ago, Pduggs said:

I think I’ll stick to the gravity dump and save a few bucks. 

I agree! Macerators have never been top on my list to have. Plus, I have always preferred the "whoosh" factor in dumping my tanks. Luckily, the macerator on my Dynasty had been removed before we purchased it last year. I do own a portable macerator which I have never used to this day. BUT I have it just in case I am in that one specific location where I would need to pump the crap uphill for whatever reason.

• Like 3

It may be just the replacement of the impeller. A new direct power supply , to replace the Monaco OEM undersized wire, will cause a new and impressive improvement in the performance of any Sani Con. 

We used one 10 years full timing, had to replace the impeller 3-4 times. Not having to deal with the connection mess all the time was great. 

When mine stopped, I took it apart and found that the impeller was clogged mostly with hair (not mine - I hope).  Cleaned it and it has worked for a couple years with no problem.  I like the sanicon and have always used it.  We even had a macerator pump on our 96 HR Endeavor we drove for over 20 years.

7 hours ago, Tom Whitlow said:

When mine stopped, I took it apart and found that the impeller was clogged mostly with hair (not mine - I hope).  Cleaned it and it has worked for a couple years with no problem.  I like the sanicon and have always used it.  We even had a macerator pump on our 96 HR Endeavor we drove for over 20 years.

Hair is a major issue.....not just in OUR Sanicon's but in large (think 25 HP macerators).  The best fix is to pop out the perforated drain cap or plate in the shower.  Then drop in a SS mesh bowl drain.  Amazon or ACE or HD or Lowes has them.  I bought mine locally, but the diameter will be around 1.75 - 2".  The Flexible SS mesh bowl will collect hair.  This is more of a problem for shedding pet owners or GD with long hair (LOL) or wool area rugs.  The wool in our two area rugs just "fuzzes" up.  It then will clog quicker.  I usually wipe the bowl out about every 5 showers.  Not a big deal....but it sure beats having to tear apart the pump

You can not (or at least a few years ago) purchase the pump head gasket (the one you change when you install a new impeller) separately.

The newer motor (14 GPM) works fine with the existing power feed.  BUT, if you go to the super swoosh model, you will definitely need to upgrade the power to a #10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Raymond said:

I was an absolute believer in the Sani-Con; until it became clogged. I replaced it with the gravity setup with cam-locks and will never go back! 

Not to sway the argument either way, but circumstances or situations dictate.  I would need 40 plus feet of drain hose and a 90 deg fitting to be able to dump at home. We have full hookup at home….and i cut in a side tap to my septic tank.  I just use a discarded garden hose with only a male fitting.  One of our founders had a 10 ft plus lift or elevation change at his “base” in Maine.  We bring the MH to the house before and after every trip and do a lot of small, short stays….so dragging out, using them, rinsing, etc….

I also just don’t care to twist or cam lock on the hose and I had to make massive pump changes on 4” - 6” lines when I was designing and experimenting with industrial water treatment systems.

SO….whatever floats your boat.  I spent time on the phone with a former Sanicon employee.  He was a development tech and knew the history and filled in a bunch of blanks about operating that we “practical” engineers like to know

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ivylog said:

I’ve never had to use mine, even to pump uphill. After waiting in line to dump behind someone using one,…took for ever, I have one for sale.

Hey Ivy, I’m interested in buying your Sanicon. I’ve got all accessories so it might come in handy when like Tom mentioned, a long distance to the sewer connection is required. My gravity dump hose is only 15 feet. 

Can you send my details?

4 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Hair is a major issue.....not just in OUR Sanicon's but in large (think 25 HP macerators).  The best fix is to pop out the perforated drain cap or plate in the shower.  Then drop in a SS mesh bowl drain.  Amazon or ACE or HD or Lowes has them.  I bought mine locally, but the diameter will be around 1.75 - 2".  The Flexible SS mesh bowl will collect hair.  This is more of a problem for shedding pet owners or GD with long hair (LOL) or wool area rugs.  The wool in our two area rugs just "fuzzes" up.  It then will clog quicker.  I usually wipe the bowl out about every 5 showers.  Not a big deal....but it sure beats having to tear apart the pump

You can not (or at least a few years ago) purchase the pump head gasket (the one you change when you install a new impeller) separately.

The newer motor (14 GPM) works fine with the existing power feed.  BUT, if you go to the super swoosh model, you will definitely need to upgrade the power to a #10

Agreed. When I first bought the coach over five years ago, I was unfamiliar with the Sanicon. It took forever to dump. Then I read about the impeller. So I opened it up only to find an impeller completely worn down to nothing. It likely had never been replaced. Replaced it and cleaned it up, then it worked fine. 

I too used a stainless steel mesh in the shower to collect hair, after my first tear down of the Sanicon. Hair was all over it. 

I’m in N GA and In trying to come up with a price I found a complete one in PA. Don’t know if it’s still available but if someone is in that area I’d say it’s a good deal for $125.

https://www.shoppok.com/reading/a,38,124861,Used-Thethord-70236-RV-Sani-Con-5800-Macerator-System-with-grey-water----125--Pottstown-.htm

Took these pictures of mine:

IMG_6520.jpeg

IMG_6518.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Pduggs said:

All I really need is the pump, plastic box, and grey water bypass connection. 

Is yours original to your coach and how many years of use?

97.33 hours! Actually I have no idea as the rig was 10 years old when I bought it and I haven’t used plus no hoses came with it. I know the original owner and 6 month out of the year it was gravity fed. Other 6 months it was usually in storage. There’s a couple pieces of hair on the impeller. 3 of the mounting eyes are broken off…. $100 including shipping.

Edited by Ivylog

The original 5800 came with a 10 GPM motor.  That was updated to 12 GPM later on.  The pump’s gasket kit (on eBay) includes an impeller and the coveted gasket…$70 or so.

The 4 mounting screws need to be swapped for SS Hex Washer type A tapping screws.  Way easier and quicker to pop out the pump.  Don’t sweat the tabs.  They are worthless.  Just drill 2 or 3 holes in the box and use SS 1/4-20 bolts and Nylock nuts on the bottom.  I drilled mine and moved the box closer to the front for easier access.  Some Idiot installers put them on the sidewall.  The “bypass” ain’t never gonna work up there.  Was designed to be mounted on bay floor.  The box has no water in it.  

Original motor was a 3200….then it became a 3200.001. (12 GPM).  Motor was also 70427….

https://www.thetford.com/part/model-62-5800-12-45/  

If you do a lot of googling….its all out there.  Jabsco made pumps for Wake Board boats to pump water in and out for wake and weight.  The two pumps, Jabsco and Shurflo, SHOULD interchange.  The bypass fittings are on the inlet and outlet parts….NOT part of the pump.

The impellers will interchange as I put a Jabsco in my Shurflo.  The heads or covers will not….and the gasket is totally different.  Folks have traced the old gaskets on to  gasket or intake paper and cut new ones with an Exacto knife.

Jabsco 18590-2092 Macerator Waste Pump   Google for ebay and etrailer.  Etrailer has a knockoff, as does Amazon, that folks have supposedly used and interchanged.  Read the Etrailer reviews and Q/A.  The knockoff is half the price as the OEM Jabsco…

LOTS of good stuff on IRV2 and such.  Not rocket science….

Good Luck

I was an outside rep for Thetford for a few years and worked directly with their executive and engineering staff. I had special purchasing power with Thetford and Talin ended up being one of the Nations top ten sellers of Sani Con's one year. I came into the agreement when the Sani Con Turbo was launched. It is an amazing macerator system. It will pump up hill 100 ft and empty your tanks in about 5 minutes. I like the 400 series as it has a bayonet/hose fitting. If your system gets plugged you can disconnect the hose and connect your stinky slinky hose and dump your tanks. I sold pallet loads of the 400 + 600 series. I dropped our Thetford deal and no longer carry them ( a new executive re-arranged our outside rep deal and killed our profit margins to the point it was not worth carrying sani cons anymore ).

When installing the new Sani Con turbo models you WILL have to upgrade the wiring to 10 ga along with a new resettable fuse inline. The turbo motor draws a lot of amps.

With all this being said if you look into my wet bay on my coach you will NOT see a Sani Con system. I have a new 400 series still sitting in the box but have not had time to install it. That was 4 years ago. The dump hose works fine and I rarely travel so leave it connected all the time. I will hold on to the 400 turbo and may install it someday. But with limited time to travel it is not a priority.

In regards to the old sani cons, Thetford quit making parts for them - Motors, impellers, etc. are almost impossible to find.

Everytime I hear the word Sani-Con I think of the story of the guy who posted his experience on IRV2. I forgot the entire story but the way he posted it had me laughing and in tears. Him and his wife got back home from a trip and while they were unloading items from the coach into the house he thought he would dump his tanks. He ran the sani con hose to the sewer cleanout in his back yard, turned on the pump and walked to the front and heard a commotion. He ran back and found that his dog grabbed the sani con wand out of the sewer clean out and was running around with it in his mouth spraying sh&t all over the patio and himself. Talking about a major cleanup. Patio - yard - dog - Yuck.  🙂

Edited by throgmartin
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, Pduggs said:

All I really need is the pump, plastic box, and grey water bypass connection. 

Is yours original to your coach and how many years of use?

You really do not have to install the "box".  Just makes it quieter when operating. More versatile for locating the  preferred installation location.

My Dynasty came with the Sani Con when new, I've used it for 18 years with only a few problems:

The first time it stopped (about a year after we bought the coach) in the middle of dumping the black tank, and I tried using my electric drill driver to turn the shaft from the screw slot on the other end, but it was too slow.   I ended up taking the back off the motor and finding that the thermal overload sensor was corroded and not connecting.  I bypassed it and dumped the tank.  At this point it was still in warranty and RV Sani Con sent me a replacement.   I drilled several holes in the box to make sure the motor stayed cool and dry after the first failure.   As I recall the box was pretty moist when that first motor died, and I'm pretty sure that caused the corrosion.

The replacement worked flawlessly until last year.   I thought it was dead, but after taking it apart and cleaning it out it worked for another year.   When I got the motorhome out this year, it was dead and we are using the old hose dump method.   It has really spoiled me, so when I get time, I will repair it again either with a new pump or whatever it takes to get this old one going again.

I have had to replace the both hoses, the big one once, and the small one a couple of times.   Both hoses got cracks and started leaking at different times.   One time, I accidentally let the small hose touch the hot aqua hot exhaust, and that quickly burned a hole right through it.   

Granville Barker

33 minutes ago, granvillebarker said:

My Dynasty came with the Sani Con when new, I've used it for 18 years with only a few problems:

The first time it stopped (about a year after we bought the coach) in the middle of dumping the black tank, and I tried using my electric drill driver to turn the shaft from the screw slot on the other end, but it was too slow.   I ended up taking the back off the motor and finding that the thermal overload sensor was corroded and not connecting.  I bypassed it and dumped the tank.  At this point it was still in warranty and RV Sani Con sent me a replacement.   I drilled several holes in the box to make sure the motor stayed cool and dry after the first failure.   As I recall the box was pretty moist when that first motor died, and I'm pretty sure that caused the corrosion.

The replacement worked flawlessly until last year.   I thought it was dead, but after taking it apart and cleaning it out it worked for another year.   When I got the motorhome out this year, it was dead and we are using the old hose dump method.   It has really spoiled me, so when I get time, I will repair it again either with a new pump or whatever it takes to get this old one going again.

I have had to replace the both hoses, the big one once, and the small one a couple of times.   Both hoses got cracks and started leaking at different times.   One time, I accidentally let the small hose touch the hot aqua hot exhaust, and that quickly burned a hole right through it.   

--

Granville Barker

I have used JB Clear Weld on the small hose.  Just put a dot or two on it.  Then let it cure.  I then use about 2 wraps of Gorilla Tape.  Works for me...