Air leak

I read where someone said if you have a small air leak in your bags you can put in tyre sealant [slime].My coach will loose all its air overnight and i found some valves seeping so i replaced them.I can not find any more leaks but it still leaks.Is it possible to put stop leak in the whole system or anything that will highlite the leak.Like the dye with freon,i know it sounds cheap but it is an inconvenience and not something that i am willing to replace all the bags for.

1 hour ago, bonfield said:

I read where someone said if you have a small air leak in your bags you can put in tyre sealant [slime].My coach will loose all its air overnight and i found some valves seeping so i replaced them.I can not find any more leaks but it still leaks.Is it possible to put stop leak in the whole system or anything that will highlite the leak.Like the dye with freon,i know it sounds cheap but it is an inconvenience and not something that i am willing to replace all the bags for.

ABSOLUTELY NO.  Yes, I know I'm shouting and for good reason.  This will gum up the air leveling valves not to mention your air brake and ABS systems.

If you decide to go ahead and do it, be prepared for a very expensive repair bill to clean it out of the system not to mention part replacements.

Yes i have used the soapy spray method and it did show leaks in the past and i repaired them but nothing i can do has shown up another leak.I have leak tested it a dozen times with no luck.Thanks for the do not do with the slime because that was the reaction i wanted.Any one got any idea where to go next.

31 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

ABSOLUTELY NO.  Yes, I know I'm shouting and for good reason.  This will gum up the air leveling valves not to mention your air brake and ABS systems.

If you decide to go ahead and do it, be prepared for a very expensive repair bill to clean it out of the system not to mention part replacements.

Double DITTO.  Slime should have been marketed by the companies that make the aftermarket TPMS for cars.  Give it away.  I have talked to several service writers over the years and all say that you would be better off having your car with run flats TOWED, than driving it with Slime.  A dealer replaced factory TPMS that will reliably function with the OEM Receivers is around $200 - $250.  YES….it is advertised as being TPMS SAFE.  The grandkids of the advertising and packaging copy writers  from the 50’s that said menthol cigarettes were a good choice to relieve asthma and allergies….or the “Doctors” that did the commercials and recommended filtered vs unfiltered smokes are following the family tradition and writing copy for SLIME.

15 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

Did you check to see if air is escaping from the vent line on each air leveling valve pack module?

You can purchase a relatively good and functional ultrasonic air leak detector…..but most of the OTR shops use a flashlight and a spray bottle….test, isolate and repair…..nothing fancy….

Do all four air bags deflate? There are check valves throughout the system that should stop that from happening. The answer will help focus the search. I currently have a small leak which causes the curb side rear bag to deflate. I’ve chased the leak and it’s the RR ride height valve, I just haven’t been motivated to change it out because it’s such a slow leak. 

Edited by dennis.mcdonaugh

• 3 months later...

'09 Signature PS air suspension leaks down in about 30 minutes. Extreme list. DS seems OK but coach is on the ground in less than 24 hours. Any suggestion on where to start looking for a leak that would drain all DS air bags simultaneously? Can't hear anything leaking.. Am reluctant to crawl under the PS side with such a large leak. Did that once, won't do it again.

Yes it is when parked in Travel mode.  The compressor can keep ahead of the leak in Travel mode but when parked with the engine off it leaks down. I haven't tried to switch to auto or manual when I park it. I will try that and see if it makes a difference. Great suggestion!

When parked with ignition off and not in Auto Leveling, the bags supposed to keep whatever air volume in them because all the sixpack valves are closed. You'll have 3 sixpacks with the tag coach, not sure what system make you have but the function is the same. Not usual for all the sixpacks on same side to start leaking at the same moment but over time they could all have some more or less leaky valve on each side of the sixpack. That would cause an uneven drop. So could the lines, fittings or bags since the pairs are all connected on each axle end. Imagine you have a leak that drops one corner. That will also cause the other corner on same side to drop with the weight transfer, just not as much, so try to identify that corner as the frame is now under twisting force. Leaky tag valves would have much less effect but you would see that there isn't a load on that tire. My best guess, since the whole coach drops overnight, your sixpacks have at least 2 leaky valves each, some faster than others.. Bubbly water will show them, spray both sides of the sixpacks, the valves, fittings and the exhaust openings. If you find leaks, HWH is relatively easy and cheap to reseal for someone who can get under and twist his body around an axle...or has a pit. I'd rather do that than changing bags but it still requires one to get under it no matter who does that.

Set the switch to manual. Turned off the engine with the coach at drive height. Checked an hour later and the PS was completely deflated. DS was still inflated, about an 6" difference in lift. Previously tried to raise the tag's but they do not lift. Guess I will have to manually raise the suspension to max, crawl under and work really fast. 

In 2021 when I worked on my air system replacing PPV's and other stuff I made a set of 6 ramps that I could back up on.  Made them out of 2X10's cut 48, 42, 36, 24" and then screwed together.  I did add a block on 4 of them for the rear tires.  This elevated the coach 6" and allowed me to crawl under the entire length with the air drained. 

Should have done this years ago.  I now have them lined up against the back wall of my garage. 

Thanks for the suggestion. Two years ago I had a mechanic replace the transmission in my old Winnebago. He raised the rear wheels off the ground without blocking the front wheels. The coach drifted forward and fell off the lift. He was under the coach and it fell onto him crushing him. He was in ICU for weeks and is just now getting back to work. Probably why I am so reluctant to go under. 

• Sad 1

When I had a leak I tested all may tanks first to make sure nothing was leaking there. Next when I figured it was 1 set of air bags, the back passenger side. I made sure solenoid was working and I could hear it click. Next I put it in manual mode and had my wife hit the raise for that set of bags and I could hear a loud air rushing sound. Figured it was a broken line which it was. Had to get a diesel mech out to crawl under, the rear end is a pain< and he found it with my help. Hardest part was getting into it. One of the lines had rubbed and over time a small hole had happened and then finally broke. My coach use to settle over time slowly then faster. This solved my issue Re-routed the line and but a rub pad on it. FYI we blocked up between the 2 frames for safety 

• Thanks 1