15amp shore power and res'l fridge?

Trevor and Laura

Hi Everyone, our lovely Bella, a new to us 2006 42ft Dynasty is heading out on our first trip together tomorrow morning. , kept in remote storge, all batts will be fully charged by solar, residential fridge has been open and unpugged behind the side vent..

We are about to bring her home and park on the street outide our home where we can reach with a 115v 15amp extension from the house / garage, plan is to start the fridge and test run the inverter for the 20 min drive home, then to connect that extension cord..   will the system run the fridge from the extension when plugged in and not from the inverter, or do we have to turn the inverter off, it's a Magnum?

Running out of time now, not feeling 100% either... thanks, we appreciate your thoughts..

Trevor and Laura

2006 42ft Dynasty in ON

1 hour ago, Trevor and Laura said:

Hi Everyone, our lovely Bella, a new to us 2006 42ft Dynasty is heading out on our first trip together tomorrow morning. , kept in remote storge, all batts will be fully charged by solar, residential fridge has been open and unpugged behind the side vent..

We are about to bring her home and park on the street outide our home where we can reach with a 115v 15amp extension from the house / garage, plan is to start the fridge and test run the inverter for the 20 min drive home, then to connect that extension cord..   will the system run the fridge from the extension when plugged in and not from the inverter, or do we have to turn the inverter off, it's a Magnum?

Running out of time now, not feeling 100% either... thanks, we appreciate your thoughts..

Trevor and Laura

2006 42ft Dynasty in ON

Richard has a solution, but for your own knowledge of how the system works….here goes…BTW….this is a topic that many new MH don’t know.

Your Genny or Shore feeds power to the Automatic Transfer Switch.  When you plug into shore, or something like that…like a extension cord, the ATS sends power directly to the Main 50 Amp Power panel.  There is a 30 Amp circuit breaker in there marked INVERTER.  This then supplies the Inverter.  NOW…this is where folks say HUH.  All of your 120 outlets inside the living area, the microwave and the refrigerator (assuming residential) are NOT powered or connected or have breakers inside the Main Panel.  There is an ATS inside the Inverter as well.  The Inverter must ALWAYS be on for you to have these outlets or circuits.  IN ADDITION, you MUST have a “decent” even a POOR set of house Batteries.  Your House bank MUST be turned on at House Battery disconnect switch.

NOW…the Magnum has to “see or have some” battery JUICE.  So, if the bank is ON and the inverter is on….then the Inverter brain checks the incoming 30 Amp circuit from the main panel.  If there is 120 Volts, then the brain tells the inverter to leave the ATS inside…ALONE.  Then that internal ATS just “passes” through the power (30 A.  Or less if on a 15 or 20A).  So, on the Dynasty, there is another panel.  Read the manual.  Is is called a SUBPanel…or secondary. It has circuit breakers and GFCI and such…and then, IT has the INCOMING power from the Inverter and does the final distribution.

OK….NEXT tidbit.  The ATS (main) also monitors the Genny.  If it is running, even though you are on SHORE or pedestal power, the ATS says….GENNY running (we have voltage).  SWITCH.  That is the logic.

OK…no power on shore or genny.  The inverter says…hey, nobody is feeding me.  The brain says…well start INVERTING or converting battery DC juice to usable AC juice…so the control board does that.  When there is 120VAC coming out…then the Brain closes the internal ATS….you got JUICE.

ONE final word or caution….the Magnum hates or will SPIT out any 15 or 20 Amp (usually…but more often than not) any power coming from a Home or Commercial GFCI protected outlet.  Magnum has 15 different things to try but the techs tell you to get a regular outlet..

NEXT.  If you use 15A, then the Magnum has a MUST DO action.  Press the SETUP Button.  Select 15 (some have 20) setting or amps. You MUST change this when you are on a circuit lower than 30.  THE setting that you must use, regardless of 30A or 50A is 30. Why…because that is what the breaker in yiur panel is set for…never set it to 50….big mistake.

So read and remember.  Try the 15 A..but select setup snd 15.  Remember to reset it to 30 afterwards….very important.

That’s it.  Yes, you can use an extension cord for the refrigerator directly…but what I just posted is very important…

• Like 1

I agree with everything Tom wrote. I plug my 2008 Dynasty into the garage/shop GCFI circuit all the time and never have a problem. I keep the refer on almost all the time and it charges the house batteries. If you do not select the 15 amp setting on the inverter incoming then the inverter will draw to many amps from your house/garage circuit and trip the breaker in your panel at home. When you plug into any land based power source you should hear the ATS click or thump. We ran our coach for two weeks on a Honda EU 7000 while out boondocking in Northern Arizona. Just charging the batteries and power for convection oven and big screen TV. You know, roughing it. On a side note, if you ever use a portable generator like a Honda or Yamaha there is a trick to making it work. But that is another story.

Okay, lots of info there, thankyou... forgot to turn the invertert on, or to plug the fridge in for the short drive home. When home I did and it showed 12.4v dc and 25A, sorted out the long ext'n, plugged it in and the frt ac, which had been on with the gennie last, came on, turned it and the inverter off, fridge running and Magnum monitoring charge, 0 amps, 13+ volts; we now have 400+ watts of solar, but it's a cloudy drizzly day...

Just going to take a look for that set up function and the 15A setting, for our 2 weeks away we will only have 30A, but unlikely to need AC now, our crazy Sept heat wave has passed.. 

Trevor and Laura

Kind of hard to follow the ins & outs of what Tom said . . . .

FWIW for years I plugged in our Endeavor with a 15A cord with the inverter OFF.  Now, maybe it's not really off, but it's off at the remote panel.  Worse, my cord was 150+ ft long (can't run much on that).  At least it was # 10 wire . . . .

I don't do anything to the fridge plug, but then I'm on a gas absorption / elec fridge.

Yes, it's important to use the limit (15,20,30,50) input power selector to keep from overloading the source breaker.  It's also a good idea to turn off appliances before switching on / off inverters, power cords, generators, etc.  Refrigerator is borderline, but not an AC unit, water heater, portable heaters, etc.  All those electrons with suddenly nowhere to go makes for nasty arcing inside the ATS or inverter. 

When I boondock everything runs off a HF Predator 3500 generator, but I rarely run the roof AC's (even in the Deep South).  I only run the inverter to watch TV.  Now, if the misses comes along all bets are off. 

Have fun on your trip. 

- bob

2 hours ago, cbr046 said:

Kind of hard to follow the ins & outs of what Tom said . . . .

FWIW for years I plugged in our Endeavor with a 15A cord with the inverter OFF.  Now, maybe it's not really off, but it's off at the remote panel.  Worse, my cord was 150+ ft long (can't run much on that).  At least it was # 10 wire . . . .

I don't do anything to the fridge plug, but then I'm on a gas absorption / elec fridge.

Yes, it's important to use the limit (15,20,30,50) input power selector to keep from overloading the source breaker.  It's also a good idea to turn off appliances before switching on / off inverters, power cords, generators, etc.  Refrigerator is borderline, but not an AC unit, water heater, portable heaters, etc.  All those electrons with suddenly nowhere to go makes for nasty arcing inside the ATS or inverter. 

When I boondock everything runs off a HF Predator 3500 generator, but I rarely run the roof AC's (even in the Deep South).  I only run the inverter to watch TV.  Now, if the misses comes along all bets are off. 

Have fun on your trip. 

- bob

Ok, KEEP IT SIMPLE.  When you have a GOOD battery and AC, the inverter (Magnum) is on.  You can NOT actually shut if off from the REMOTE.  You CAN power it off at the outside...but unless you shut it off there...as in SOFT reset and then wait...and NEVER turn it on with the same switch....it is always ON.  There is a myth (call Magnum) about "I turn it off every time".

So, in effect...if you did NOT do the SOFT reset...HOLD the POWER BUTTON DOWN for about 20 seconds, you never did shut it off.  THEN after you held it DOWN, you HAD to push it again to restart.  This is the same way a PC (laptops as well).  If the rascal gets cantankerous...you HOLD down the power button.  That forces a SHUT DOWN....somewhat controlled.  THEN, it IS SHUT OFF.  Then you push the power button (a minute or so later) and it comes back to life.

That is how the Inverter works....  That simple.

AND YES...it is VERY important to choose the right Shore Setting.  BUT, based on talking to Magnum at least 20 or so times since 2009 for help as well as later on helping others.  I can tell anyone that IF they have a HOME GFCI that works and they can use it...they are in a minority...and should consider themselves blessed.

The Techs tell me that folks that keep tripping the Upstream GFCI and want to know WHY and WHAT to do represents a substantial part of their tech support phone time.  I tried a few times.  NOW...I will also say this....and this, is something that I have yet to "noodle out"

Two MOTOR HOMES...a 2009 Camelot and a 2008 Navigator.  BOTH OEM ATS and also same Magnum Inverters....or series... (the 08 had an MS2018 or a 2800 watt and my Camelot has the MS2012...2000 watt)....electrically, save the subpanel...be the same.  BUT, when parked in the back of a "shop" that the owner of the 08 owned...and had a 50 Amp receptacle put in for his steam pressure washer as well a to use for his MH when he traveled to that store (a mega contractor equipment sales and rental) my Camelot would BLOW a breaker.  NOW, he had a "non conventional" setup for the 50 amp.  He had TWO 50 amp breakers...but they were INDIVIDUAL...and NOT a dual pole 220.  BUT, it worked for the 08 and his pressure washer....but NOT for my MH.  

I talked to a lot of experts...and the conclusion was that "somewhere" in my Camelot, Monaco must have had a connection that maybe had a Ground....on a HOT leg.  BUT, I have NEVER blown a CG pedestal and I have been to over 250 CG...at least 95% were 50 Amp....and that has been in 47 of the lower 48 and 6 Canadian provinces.  SO, IF I have some "Ghastly" circuit problem....it has NEVER shown up...except at my Buddy's rental place.  

NOW...could this situation lead to me having issues with a GFCI.  YES...but I never blow a 15 amp regular circuit....  Magnum said....GIVE UP...you will never find it.  They said that they have all makes and models of MH owners call in.  Their advice....USE A NON GFCI outlet.  OK....want to try the GFCI....start lowering the shore from 15 to 10....then 10 to 5.  If that doesn't work...it ain't gonna ever and as long as you have NO issues on 30 or 50 or your generator and do NOT "blow" CG pedestals...then, if it don't work...then it ain't gonna work....and they said that some folks have actually spent upwards of $1000 chasing the ghost...and Casper never got caught.

That is the SIMPLE explanation from Magnum....

7 hours ago, Trevor and Laura said:

Trevor and Laura

2006 42ft Dynasty in ON

@Trevor and Laura Once the breaker for the inverter inside the coach is on (probably in the bedroom), and the circuit breakers on the side of the inverter itself (in the outside bay) are on, you shouldn't at any time have to fool with the actual inverter.  

You can test running your fridge off the inverter at your convenience... just plug it in behind the side vent, and unplug your 15A cord.  If it is a dual fridge (AC/LP gas), you will have to change the mode from AU (auto select) to AC.  Your inverter should switch automatically from Chg to Inv on the wall panel (the Magnum Energy" remote).  If it doesn't switch to Inv, just do it manually by pressing "Inverter On/Off" on the same panel.  If the fridge/freezer starts out cold and doesn't have to run much, it should be able to run 8 or more hours without running the hose batteries too low.  You didn't say whether you have generator auto-start to charge low batteries, so you may be running have to check the house batteries charge state every few hours until you approximate the power draw.  I seriously doubt you will want to try to run any other appliances... you might even want to unplug the microwave, phone chargers, etc.

After your test run of the inverter, you can plug the heavy duty extension cord back into your 50A cord (with some combo of 30A and 110V 3-prong adapter), and make sure the inverter goes to Chg state (or use the wall panel to switch it back).  Then, be sure to do as Tom Cherry said: on the Intellic 50 amp Smart EMS wall panel, press the 30/20 Amp select button until the 20 amp light glows.  The EMS should manage the power usage from there. 

Good luck and hope you get to feeling 100% for your trip.  Learning an RV is a journey.

Trevor, you sound like you may be new to diesel pushers, so I'm going to add to this thread a maintenance item that is extremely important, and I just checked on my own coach today!

You need to regularly check the engine coolant for the Supplemental Coolant Additive level.

If it get's too low, and wasn't watched by the previous owner, the cylinder sleeves can get pitted to the point the engine needs rebuilt, with new sleeves installed.

Get some fresh test strips and follow the directions. The test strip's have a 'Use by' date on the package.

'IF', a previous owner changed the engine coolant to a OAT coolant, this isn't necessary, but, your coach didn't leave the factory with OAT coolant! 

Hi Folks, previous RVers with trailers, jumpedend straight to a big DP for our 1st MH, may not that many yrs left now..

PO claimed cooling system now has the latest type coolant, found the shore power setting and switched it to 15A, also showing charger on stand by, so looking good and I am feeling better... fridge is cold and loaded, fuel tank is full. Will look at Magnum after unplugging the extension to see if inverter came on.. Hook up our little Fiat 500 toad for the 1st time up the street where it's flatter, we are on a hill, spring brakes hold, but we have chocks out as well. This will be our only trip before heading out early November for 6 months to escape winter.

Thanks again for your support 

Trevor and Laura

• Like 2