Remote keeps failing

bonfield

This in motorhome related really but it is on my motorhome.I have leds light under the body of my 2004 HR Endevour and i switch them on an off with a 120 volts remote plug in controller.I have had to replace the remote on several occasions as it works for a while then stops as if it is burned out.I am afraid to put on another one until i get this sorted.It controls two 15 feet led strips through a 120 to 12 volt step down.Any ideas Thanks

As others have said it is most likely inverter sine wave output, however - and I don’t mean this to be taken the wrong way - but are you using a listed and certified device? Not some cheap overseas device from Amazon or something? Could play a factor.
I’m starting to get away from buying certain items from Amazon.  As convenient as it is, the quality of a lot of the items I receive lately are terrible. 

You can pretty much tell what the quality of the product will be by the wording in the loosely translated box packaging and/or instructions.  😂

You can probably snip the wires off the controller and connect to a 12 volt source. Take a look at the transformer for possible clues.

19 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Don't waste anymore money on those 120 VAC devices that don't play well with MSW Inverters. Your only option may be to upgrade the coach to a PSW Inverter or purchase a small portable PSW Inverter just for the 120 VAC device you are trying to control with the remote switch.

Quite true.  FIRST Question.  Maybe I missed it.  Are you powering the lights from an Inverter circuit.  YES….MSW have been known to have issues.  But, when you are on Pedestal or Genny, you have PASS THROUGH power….120 vac pure sine wave.  So, If the lights are on the inverter circuits, as in, when on battery, they work….then move them.  

BUT…if they are not on the inverter circuit, as in….on battery…they are off….then you can not blame the MSW inverter.

Need to know that for a more accurate recommendation.  Let us know…

Pictures did not upload.  Send the pictures to your email account.  Open the email and save the pictures to a folder or desktop.  Then just drag them to the bottom where itbsays “choose files”.  Youndrop them or you can copy and paste in the body of the response area…where you type.

Tom is spot on regarding the Shore Power passing through the inverter, so it is unlikely an inverter problem unless you don't use Shore Power.  I'm not familiar with the 110VAC controllers you are having problems with. I avoid anything 110VAC when I can use 12VDC instead.  I have a few 12VDC LED Controllers I use for similar lights.  Mine are Chinese, not great quality, but are still working. The only problem I have found is they are not very selective on the frequency.  Other remotes will cause them to change.  My Girard Awning remote will always cause something to change.  The solution is on the back burner for me, I often just unplug them. I'm sure there are higher quality (like for commercial applications) to be found, though they won't be cheap. 

-Rick N