Where is the smell coming from?

Bill C

Good Day all, I hope this is the right place to post this question, but if not, I'm sure our great admin folks will move it for me.

When I drive down the road, we smell something like our black tank, although I guess it could be our grey tank, but I can't for the life of me figure out where it is coming from.

We usually smell it after we have it a large bump, or turned a corner a little too fast. It only smells for a little bit and then slowly goes away. I try to empty the grey and black tanks before traveling, which usually solves the problem, but I don't think it always does. Even a little, say 5-10% full, black tank produces the smell. I thought it might be the ABS in-Line Vent for the washer, but I replaced it and that did not solve the smell issue.

I looked at my black and grey tanks and did not see a crack, or vent leak, on the tanks themselves.

I don't have any fluid leaks anywhere while stationary, or moving (as best I can tell). My roof vent, for my holding tanks, seems to be functioning properly (again, as best I can tell).

Suggestions where to look?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Hi Ivan, where are the sink traps, and what do they look like?

I will add water to the washer drain as well.

All good suggestions.

Thanks

1 minute ago, Jdw12345 said:

You can also check the drain hoses from your sinks to the tanks.

Sink Drain Hoses, mmmm... what do the hoses look like?

Thanks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, philcarrell said:

You should have two vacuum breakers, one under kitchen sink and one under bathroom sink. They are black about 1 1/2 inches around and 3 inches high.  Black and you can purchase them at Lowes,  Home Depot etc.  That will probably cure your problem.

Wow, thanks for the heads up, I did not know they were there, I will replace them ASAP

THANKS Phil

• Like 1

I have that issue when I have not used the washer/dryer for a while and the P-trap in the drain becomes empty allowing the gray tank to vent back into the coach.  I simply add a quart of water to the washer and run the drain cycle to replenish the water in the P-trap.

• Like 1

Just now, hex_nut said:

I have that issue when I have not used the washer/dryer for a while and the P-trap in the drain becomes empty allowing the gray tank to vent back into the coach.  I simply add a quart of water to the washer and run the drain cycle to replenish the water in the P-trap.

Good Suggestion Richard

Thanks

18 hours ago, Jdw12345 said:

You can also check the drain hoses from your sinks to the tanks.

Had a neighbor in a Travel Supreme who searched and searched for a nasty odor, only with the slides closed.

He emailed me a month after we departed. White spa hose had split on the top, with the split only opening up with the slide closed!

Never leaked any liquid!

• Like 2

All suggestions above are good. I'd like to add one more happened to me. On the roof the vent caps age and become brittle I had a piece chip off in such away as I drove it forced air down the vent pipe everytime my dw flushed it stunk to high heavens. Put a rotating one on now better then original.

Roy  2003 Dynasty 

• Like 2