Fresh Water Tank filling by itself

06Windsor
Go to solution Solved by Bill C,

2006 Monaco Windsor. My fresh water tank is filling up slowly by its self. It will eventually completely fill up. I just removed the tank/city valve to see if it was not shutting off properly but that wasn't the case. I found a 3 way valve on top of the fresh water tank on the drivers side that appears to be a electric 3 way. What is this ? And what activates the electric solenoid on it ? Does anyone know ? 

3 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

I the parts listing there is a PN for an Auto fill for the fresh water tank with the Monaco PN https://revrvparts.com/item-detail?itemId=36454&organizationId=9

the valve may not be closing all the way and/or electrical issue with the solenoid. 

Interesting!!! Now I'm curious as to what operates this option. I haven't seen anything yet that say it on any switches. gives me something to go on at this point. Thanks

The above referenced solenoid looks exactly like the fresh water auto fill valve. The switch on my 07 Dynasty is on the face of the panel in the wet bay, along with the fresh water hose reel, water pump, power cord reel and sanicon switch. Hope this helps.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

14 minutes ago, redstickbill said:

The above referenced solenoid looks exactly like the fresh water auto fill valve. The switch on my 07 Dynasty is on the face of the panel in the wet bay, along with the fresh water hose reel, water pump, power cord reel and sanicon switch. Hope this helps.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

That's what I'm thinking it is as well after researching it. But I'm gonna have to check that area for a switch. But I don't recall one. I'm thinking it has something to do with the Aladdin system but I don't now anything about that system yet or even how to turn it onto view it. But I will be checking the wet bay this evening for a switch. Thanks

13 hours ago, Bill R said:

@06Windsor  I believe the picture is of your Prevent-A-Freeze system (if you do not have Aqua-Hot).  Do you have that?   Page 179 of the manual.

If your pump check valve is not seating that could also be filling up your tank.

How does this so called "Prevent-A-Freeze" system work?

2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

How does this so called "Prevent-A-Freeze" system work?

Richard - I have never used mine, seems a bit complicated, but it is an automated winterizing system that puts RV anti-freeze automatically into the piping through a system of valves.  And then will flush it out through the same valve system.  There is a small 3 gallon tank that you fill up that feeds the system.   Attached is a description of the system from the manual.  I believe that is what @06Windsor has posted a picture of.  There is another one of these valves by the water pump and small tank.

2006 Windsor Prvent-A-Freeze.pdf

Edited by Bill R

3 minutes ago, Bill R said:

Richard - I have never used mine, seems a bit complicated, but it is an automated winterizing system that puts RV anti-freeze automatically into the piping through a system of valves.  And then will flush it out through the same valve system.  There is a small 3 gallon tank that you fill up that feeds the system.   Attached is a description of the system.  I believe that is what @06Windsor has posted a picture of.  There is another one of these valves by the water pump and small tank.

2006 Windsor Prvent-A-Freeze.pdf 393.41 kB · 1 download

the picture I posted isn't the prevent a freeze. My prevent a freeze is in the wet bay just under the water pump by the water manifold shut off valves. the photo in question. I now believe is the auto fill valve but I don't now how it works cause I'm not sure of the Aladdin system or how to even turn the system on lol. But i do think my problem is the check valve in the water pump bleeding by so I'm gonna put a new pump on with hopes this fixes the issue.

6 hours ago, Bill R said:

Richard - I have never used mine, seems a bit complicated, but it is an automated winterizing system that puts RV anti-freeze automatically into the piping through a system of valves.  And then will flush it out through the same valve system.  There is a small 3 gallon tank that you fill up that feeds the system.   Attached is a description of the system from the manual.  I believe that is what @06Windsor has posted a picture of.  There is another one of these valves by the water pump and small tank.

2006 Windsor Prvent-A-Freeze.pdf 393.41 kB · 6 downloads

Most RV techs love it.  I do.  But….mine has been flawless.  I air blow out the system….low pressure and let each outlet run a few minutes.

Then push the button….make sure the double valves on the reservoir tank to the pump are open.  DW runs the pump and watches the color.  It takes abut 7 gallons and I do a THOROUGH fill….do the toilet pre-fill valve and the W/D and disconnect the icemaker circuit,

I plead guilty to not reading all the manual.  Saw the solenoid close and redirect the plumbing on the inlet side of the pump to the RV antifreeze tank.  Seemed logical and I just used the old time tested….blow it out….and the Prevent-A+Freeze solenoid did the rest.

NOW….to be sure….I said it works for me….and I like it.  So, that’s my take.  Those that don’t ….probably bad experiences….sort of like Sanicon vs Stinky Slinky…

8 hours ago, 06Windsor said:

the picture I posted isn't the prevent a freeze. My prevent a freeze is in the wet bay just under the water pump by the water manifold shut off valves. the photo in question. I now believe is the auto fill valve but I don't now how it works cause I'm not sure of the Aladdin system or how to even turn the system on lol. But i do think my problem is the check valve in the water pump bleeding by so I'm gonna put a new pump on with hopes this fixes the issue.

Larry - The picture you posted is exactly like my set up.  See pic below of mine above the water tank.  Also the next pic is the one in the wet bay.  Both are Swan Industries controllers.  My understanding is that the one over the holding tank "bypasses" the tank so it doesn't fill will antifreeze (Bypass switch on Panel), and the one in the wet bay changes the suction of the water pump to draw from the small 3 gallon tank in the wet bay (Winterize switch on Panel).  This is my understanding.

Swan Controller Water Tank.jpeg

Swan Controller Wet Bay.jpeg

Edited by Bill R

Correction - I had the two Swan "Prevent-A-Freeze" 3-way valves switched around.  "Bypass" switch bypasses the hot water tank.  This is the one in the wet bay.  "Winterize" switch changes pump suction from water holding tank to the 3 gallon antifreeze tank.  

Here is a link I found from Swan.  This describes the system with manual valves, but it is the same concept with the automatic "Prevent-A-Freeze" system.  Note that if you have an Aqua Hot you do not have the "Bypass" valve installed.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vRD3kKVN3Zm34VVopTc-SU2hNlq8afJPXZjMrgJnHr6eQFJnbJONWGsVO1XlQfBPeOIZJK2EtDm9Vys/pub

• Thanks 1

• Solution
On 11/6/2023 at 10:59 AM, 06Windsor said:

2006 Monaco Windsor. My fresh water tank is filling up slowly by its self. It will eventually completely fill up. I just removed the tank/city valve to see if it was not shutting off properly but that wasn't the case. I found a 3 way valve on top of the fresh water tank on the drivers side that appears to be a electric 3 way. What is this ? And what activates the electric solenoid on it ? Does anyone know ? 

Same thing happened to me. After replacing  several things, it turned out to be the water pump was letting water flow backwards in to the fresh water tank.

Replaced the water pump,. problem solved.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that too and took it all apart to check the city/ tank valve and it wasn’t it. After researching more after that apparently the pumps have a check valve in them that doesn’t seat causing them to bleed back it the tank. You can buy the check valve with out the pump. Would be cheaper. But I chose to replace the whole pump cause I didn’t know if my old one worked since this coach is new to me. So replacement was a better option. 🤷‍♂️

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up on my water tank filling up. I ended up replacing the water pump and it solved the problem just like Larry. I ended up going with this water pump from Latch.it  and so far it has worked great. Even though it’s 3.5 gpm compared to the original at 5.5 its seems just the same output. It is definitely quieter than the old one and it only uses 7 amps max. It only took about 15 min to install so I will see about the longevity of it and it’s a U.S. company. 

IMG_0465.png

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Georgia Mike said:

Just a follow up on my water tank filling up. I ended up replacing the water pump and it solved the problem just like Larry. I ended up going with this water pump from Latch.it  and so far it has worked great. Even though it’s 3.5 gpm compared to the original at 5.5 its seems just the same output. It is definitely quieter than the old one and it only uses 7 amps max. It only took about 15 min to install so I will see about the longevity of it and it’s a U.S. company. 

IMG_0465.png

Wondered if it is a variable speed pump. Many motor homes like yours have a variable speed pump that speeds up as more than one faucet is opened.. mine speeds up each time I open more than one demand up to all five faucets. It keeps the flow constant no matter how any are opened.