Signature 05 FARIA Front Air Gauge is erratic; low pressure flashing light. Need help and understanding

davesworld
Go to solution Solved by pwhittle,

My 05 signature forward tank pressure gauge is erratic and I get a warning horn for low pressure. all systems work fine, travel mode and leveling no problem , brakes work fine Is there a pressure transducer that I can replace and where would I find it can you put the rear gage in the forward gage position for troubleshooting?

I think the signatures get Faria gages

no sounds of leaks the front air bags hold steady when level the difference between the forward and the rear gauge is the rear gauge has two connectors and the forward gauge has one connector so I’m worried about swapping without knowing there was a pressure transducer in the system somewhere

Normally i thought all pressure gauges were of the design of a air line connected to it, however reciently i had my butt handed to me working on a 2000 Winibago that used a module back by the engine that had the air lines from each air tank connected to it, then from there wiring transmitted that information thru wiring to the gauges🤦‍♂️ not only were both gauges erratic but it also controlls the warning bell and the idiot lights for severl other reasons, oil press, trans temp, park brake on all of which makes diagnosis a challange. Once i decided to replace said module it resolved all the issues

11 minutes ago, davesworld said:

I think the signatures get Faria gages

no sounds of leaks the front air bags hold steady when level the difference between the forward and the rear gauge is the rear gauge has two connectors and the forward gauge has one connector so I’m worried about swapping without knowing there was a pressure transducer in the system somewhere

We have some Faria experts here.  Use the SEARCH BOX and faria (caps or quotes are not required).  Then select TOPICS from the Everywhere Drop Down Menu.

There will be a few posts and you will learn a lot.  You CAN try using faria and then select files from "everywhere".  I don't know if any member has uploaded the manual or have drawing.

I have the Medallion....but the principles are the same...  There is another vendor, ACTI.  Maybe one more.  I would use my phone or a "snake camera" and get the PN off the main unit.  Then contact Faria and see if they will send you prints and a manual.  Medallion did that for me and others.

The "generic" system is that, for Air Pressure, you have TWO transducers.  Front and Rear. Medallion's are "plumbed" in as standalones.  Therefore, you can replace (we hope) a faulty transducer.  There Gauge transducers feed the instrument cluster.  There are other pressure switches that control the parking brake and the system.  

I had a friend with an ACTI system and he had a similar issue.  The ACTI has the pressure transducers "on a PCB".  When they fail, and often do....GAME OVER.  ACTI does not repair and there are no known replacements.  We ended up removing the air lines from his ACTI system and relocating theme to a combo gauge....we only found one that went to 99...but he could have bought TWO gauges that went to say, 150.  We T'ed in a low (65 PSI) switch(s) and a remote buzzer.  SO, he can read PSI and if one or both systems fail...he gets an audible.  BUT, the ACTI has only ONE WARNING alarm.  When his front system went haywire, it was a faulty transducer...  the gauge was OK, but the PCB (brain of the whole system) was the alarm system as well.  The PO had someone cut the wire or disconnect the alarm...  THUS, he had NO ALARMS.... UGLY.

Find the PRINTS first....look on your PRINTS and see how the inputs are.  Determine WHERE the two transducers are....easy to chase the air hoses.  Then get Faria information.  Since we could NOT determine if he had a good air system....and his system had an issue with the Aux compressor, we had him run a leakdown test over a few days.  His system aired up GREAT.  The main Wabsco (?) or air dryer "relief" or WHOOSH would not work.  He had the Aux compressor replaced and all was well and then the auxiliary gauges and switch was installed.  SO...do some searches.

Here are TWO VALUABLE LINKS.  I decided to find out what we had.  We have the Gauge Manual and you also need the AIR BRAKE Pre-Trip protocol to verify no air systems....very valuable....  Run the TESTS

You NEED to do the Search - faria and TOPICS and read.  LOTS OF GREAT INFO....

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Signature 05 FARIA Front Air Gauge is erratic; low pressure flashing light. Need help and understanding

My front air pressure gauge on my ‘05 Sig was also acting wonky. Sometimes it worked and other times it took warming up to get it to start registering. Mine was not linked to a low air pressure warning or buzzer so I believe you may have an air leak as well as the well know issues with that FARIA gauge. 

1 hour ago, Mocephus said:

My front air pressure gauge on my ‘05 Sig was also acting wonky. Sometimes it worked and other times it took warming up to get it to start registering. Mine was not linked to a low air pressure warning or buzzer so I believe you may have an air leak as well as the well know issues with that FARIA gauge. 

Fascinating.  Thanks,  The manual will tell you if the “brain” which sends out an alarm tone is is tied to the Faria transducers.  ACTI and Medallion use the brain…at least the ACTI does….

NOW…running the pre trip test will show issues.  The OTHER simple test…. If ONE side is working….run the test.  If the gauges are erratic, then do this.  Drain both tanks.  Good anyway…get rid or water.  Drain the auxiliary system as well.  Make sure the leveling system is OFF.

Air UP the system.  Wait an hour or two.  Quickly open and close each drain valve….just to hear a quick “swoosh” of air.  Then repeat for the remainder of the day.  Then first thing in the AM.  If you go for 24 hours and still hear the same sound or high pressure….from each, probably NOT a leak.  We had my friend run the test and lengthen out the intervals.  After 3 days….they were the same.  He could read the rear….but Front “sounded” the same.

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

These look to me more like like air solenoids and a regulator to whatever accessories than a transducer. (Blader, horns would be my guess)  I don't have transducers so just my observation. 

👍x2     I'm pretty sure those plastic air lines are color-coded.   The problem is I can't remember,  It's probably in the downloads section though which might help

(Follow up)Was able to find the brain to the Faria gauges under the coach center bay I swapped airlines from rear to front front to rear and the pressure is good on my Foward system on the rear gage, but the system still shows no indication of pressure on the fwd gage the low air alarm is still going off constantly I also found a separate wire p11 pin 4 input for the low air pressure, but not sure where it comes from yet. i’m thinking of swapping the gauges to see if it’s a gauge issue or a brain issue also to see if you can open the brain and test transducers which I’m assuming areIMG_0905.thumb.jpeg.1dd6386ef1414718f2bdac29006540c0.jpeg inside the box

I rebuild them, but if Faria still does it, send it to them as they likely have a supply of bezels which I don’t.

I am traveling out of the country for most of December, so if you need it soon, PM me.

Paul

Edited by pwhittle

• Solution
23 hours ago, pwhittle said:

I rebuild them, but if Faria still does it, send it to them as they likely have a supply of bezels which I don’t.

I am traveling out of the country for most of December, so if you need it soon, PM me.

Paul

To be clear, when I repair the gauges, I remove and re-install the bezel. You can see this has happened from the rear, but not when it is installed. I 3D printed a mount to protect the bezel. I posted the print on Monacoers.org for the DIY people with access to a 3D printer.

Paul

I had the same deal on my coach about five years ago. Same answer from Faria. I went with mechanical gauges ( Viair 90087, on eBay- about $22 ). Picked up air for the rear tank at the Faria box in the basement. For the front tank I put in a tee at the front drain valve. You can shove a dowel rod up through the foam around the steering column to get access to the inside of the dash. I left the old gauges laying inside the dash with wires attached. I do not know if detaching wiring will effect other gauges ( daisy chain wiring ). Low air alarm still works. Not as elegant as Faria , but it works. I hope this helps. Mike

• 2 weeks later...

(Follow up)I have sent the FWD gauge to PWhittle and he quickly turned around the repair and sent back to me. Installed in the coach today. Worked great. Still have a low pressure flashing light which I am troubleshooting now to be a pressure switch took a photograph of it and now I need to find a part number/replacement for it. It appears to have three wires running to it. I disconnected and connected the connection finding out only the outer two wires are through the connector. The saga continues 

IMG_1085.jpeg