Hello everyone, 

Quick question, last trip the filter minder would pull to almost the red line. Yes, it has a brand new filter. I figured the minder was old so I changed it. Next trip same thing. Is the black hose coming from the top that restrictive? Also the green pvc IMO extends too far up behind the intake grill. I have checked everything for any restriction anywhere. Thoughts please. 

6 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

If you don't find a restriction, it's possible that under load, a hose is collapsing.

True. I may look deeper 

3 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

What is your turbo pressure showing, is it running within spec for are you seeing a drop at high load?

I can’t remember 28 maybe 

Couple of weeks ago I helped a friend who got stuck on the road in heavy rain. A lot of black smoke when he tried to move. It was an ISL with rubber elbow on turbo intake and it was collapsing. Pulled the newish filter and it was dripping soaked. Maybe something to check.

IMG_20240316_212202791.jpg

20 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

How did the Filter-Minder react to the old air filter on all of your previous trips before changing out your air filter?

When I bought it, it was almost to red. I did all filters and usual maintenance then have only taken it out twice so far. It’s just boggling my mind of why it’s doing this. The power and everything seems to be there too. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Couple of weeks ago I helped a friend who got stuck on the road in heavy rain. A lot of black smoke when he tried to move. It was an ISL with rubber elbow on turbo intake and it was collapsing. Pulled the newish filter and it was dripping soaked. Maybe something to check.

IMG_20240316_212202791.jpg

I had the exact same thing happen to me with that cobra boot about 2 years ago.  Turned out that in a rain storm the filter became damp and collapsed.  The filter did not have the mesh wire structure on it either.  Also the filter was smaller than the manual specified size.  I upsized the filter to spec and made sure it had the wire mesh support.    Been through many rain storms since and filter minder shows good.  Here is that post for reference. 

• Like 1

If people's air filter is getting wet or saturated with water from rain, my guess is that the drain holes to allow any rain water to drain out of the air inlet system are clogged. OR, the location of the air inlet hose from the air intake cavity to the engine has been placed in the wrong area (too low) allowing water to enter the air filter.

Those type of air filters are NOT designed to get wet.

If they are getting wet then that condition needs to be corrected.

The air filter on my previous Windsor was always bone dry.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 1

Each Monaco owner should check their air intake design.  There are many differences.  In my case I had a louvered air intake on the rear passenger side slightly higher then the tail lights.  This goes into a large box where the water can drop out.  A ~6-7" accordion hose is attached to the box and then the filter housing.  I have never had a problem with water  BUT I did have a problem with a bird building a nest in the air filter, there is not screen on the intake🤬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

If people's air filter is getting wet or saturated with water from rain, my guess is that the drain holes to allow any rain water to drain out of the air inlet system are clogged. OR, the location of the air inlet hose from the air intake cavity to the engine has been placed in the wrong area (too low) allowing water to enter the air filter.

Those type of air filters are NOT designed to get wet.

If they are getting wet then that condition needs to be corrected.

The air filter on my previous Windsor was always bone dry.

I believe my filter became damp, not soaked, from all the mist kicked up from hundreds of big rigs that passed me up during a 3 hour downpour.  There was no collected water in the intake pipe and the drain is clear at the intake grille.   But the filter was damp.   Since my filter flow is in to out and there was no screen support, I think that was a heavy factor to the failure.  

Brief article here from Donaldson filters on moisture getting to filters.  https://www.donaldson.com/en-jp/engine/filters/technical-articles/getting-water-in-your-air-intake-system/

• Like 4

@dl_racing427 David, if it stays always at zero I would suspect either a bad indicator or a leaky or plugged indicator line.  These devices go bad over time.  

On my coach, after driving and reaching boost pressures of 25psi plus, the indicator will show around 3-5 inches H2O for a new filter.   I will always reset the indicator back to zero after each trip.  At least this is my experience.  

Edited by Bill R

7 hours ago, Bill R said:

@dl_racing427 David, if it stays always at zero I would suspect either a bad indicator or a leaky or plugged indicator line.  These devices go bad over time.  

On my coach, after driving and reaching boost pressures of 25psi plus, the indicator will show around 3-5 inches H2O for a new filter.   I will always reset the indicator back to zero after each trip.  At least this is my experience.  

This is what mine seems to do

So just an update, I tore it all apart and there is absolutely nothing in it or anything that could collapse. I have 2 quite hard elbows that seem to be plastic from the filter to the turbo. Just weird IMO.  I stuffed some rags in the there and blew out the 1/4" line to the minder but it was clear. I guess I just have to reset it after each trip. Maybe just a poor design or placement of the minder tube on the intake?

The other possibility is that the filter size is undersized for the engine.  If you post a few pictures, folks with the same model year would chime in and comment if your setup is correct.

5 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

The other possibility is that the filter size is undersized for the engine.  If you post a few pictures, folks with the same model year would chime in and comment if your setup is correct.

I’ll snap a few pics. The filter is huge. Thank you 

14 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

Wouldn't surprise me.

A few members with '06 Windsors , came with 6" in / out filters!

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Right 👍.

Forgot a few models didn't come with Ecolite filters.

I’ll get a pic of the intake up top behind the grill. I think it may be too high and not able to suck enough air. Just speculation at this point 

Edited by JeffM31
Forgot a word

9 hours ago, Bill R said:

My indicator is screwed directly into the intake elbow after the filter.
I have removed it and sucked on it, (don't laugh), and it did move and lock in position.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dl_racing427 said:

I have removed it and sucked on it, (don't laugh), and it did move and lock in position.

That's what I did to test ours as well 😀

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dl_racing427 said:

Hahaha I sucked mine too. 🤣🤣 My indicator is remote to see it easy. Open the rear doors and bam it smacks you. 

• Haha 1

Have to admit, I've sucked my filter minder as well 🤫!

I'm in the same camp as David, as in, mine barely moves.

What I need is one with a lighter spring that goes from say 0-8".

Edited by 96 EVO
  • Haha 2