Kit to replace Intec mirror mounted side cameras

Monaco replaced the turn signals mounted in the Velvac mirrors with a mount for an Intec camera that integrates with the Aladdin camera system. 

See the source image

I found mine to be headknockers as I was always running into them

I have updated mine to use a color lip mount camera which is a great improvement over the Intec B&W camera.

I was asked by some other owners to put together a plug and play kit, so I have updated mine and have built a couple of kits for other people. The adapters are 3D printed using ABS (the same material that Lego's are made from). The wiring harness is plug and play so you do not need to join any wires, just unplug the old camera and plug in the new camera.

Removing the existing camera mount can be a chore. I find it easier to remove the mirrors from the coach and do this on the bench. It is held in with a small hex screw that is turning a cam inside the housing. Turn the screw counterclockwise till you feel a stop as the cam moves to the position where you can remove the camera mount from the arm. With the Intec camera on, it is tough to get to the screw head as the Intec camera stops you from getting a straight angle to the screw head.

You can install them without removing the mirrors from the coach, but I find it easier to remove them to get to the camera mounts and if you have the mirrors off, you can pull come of the camera cable through to make it easier to get the new camera cables into the arm.

The new cameras look like this.

IMG_1282.jpg.b4adb23469b7063c919e231cdf444f82.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg.4bd0d9128b45769c8337b9057187a444.jpg

The p icture on the Aladdin screen look like this.

IMG_1284.jpg.78fbc56958b310571b5f0ccb31e77300.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg.11dd8c1bf7642b1958348063cd7296fa.jpg

The kit s look like this. One is shown in my Intec camera mount which is not part of the kit.

IMG_1277.jpg.c959e61c0c681f6ac6d762b310d2b4e4.jpg

I will be making these available for purchase at $250 per two camera kit, including the camera's. Of course there will be a special Monacoer's price. Just send me a private message through this forum.

I am not yet carrying a stock of these kits, but should have a couple kits available within two weeks. If you have an interest, let me know so that I can get some more parts on order and get your kits built.

Paul

Edited by pwhittle
  • Like 3

Paul, I  just installed your cameras. Took 30 minutes did not have to remove the mirrors. I got in behind the generator pull them out a little bit to be able to hook on the new cameras and then pull the slack back into the generator bay. I didn’t attach any pictures because the cameras and mirrors are exactly like yours. Thanks Kevin

1 hour ago, KevinH said:

Paul, I  just installed your cameras. Took 30 minutes did not have to remove the mirrors. I got in behind the generator pull them out a little bit to be able to hook on the new cameras and then pull the slack back into the generator bay. I didn’t attach any pictures because the cameras and mirrors are exactly like yours. Thanks Kevin

Great to hear you were able to install them without removing the mirrors Kevin. It may be a good idea to put tape on the connector to make it less likely to separate in the middle of the mirror arm. If that happens (like it did to me) they you will be taking the mirror off.

Thanks for for posting your feedback!

The next two kits will likely be shipping tomorrow. I expect to receive some more cameras and put some more kits together in two weeks.

Paul

Edited by pwhittle

I was able to use the same technique Kevin used to install the camera kit without removing the mirrors from the coach. One hand in the generator bay feeding/pulling the smaller of the two cables and the other pulling/feeding the cable on the camera.

Thanks for the inspiration Kevin!

Paul

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I also added a 10” dashboard monitor to the Aladdin and placed it in my field of vision when driving. This is a great improvement over the 5” display down in the center dash.

The Aladdin supports 4 RCA monitor outputs with video and sound from the rear camera when it is selected  and only two are used as standard: the one in the dash, and the one in the bedroom. I plugged this into the third output.

I plan to remove the original Sony display in the center dash but it also supplies 8V power for the rear camera so I am leaving it in till I put together a wiring harness/power converter to provide the power for the new monitor and the 8V power for the rear camera for a plug and play install.

Paul

22E26B8F-D00A-4F00-9BDF-F11C8A92ED5C.jpeg

53118651-3E23-4090-A364-7BDF025919F5.jpeg

08FA3C73-3F44-4A91-BCC0-CA4BF4342876.jpeg

EA059631-90F8-4856-9D13-4DAC3F029780.jpeg

Edited by pwhittle
  • Like 1

I would like to change the rear camera to something with better night vision as well as improved quality.  Also would like to improve the rear docking lighting so I can see what's going on back there while in bed.  Replacing the mirror cameras would be nice but not a huge priority as I already have a permanent crease on my head from those cameras.  A good idea though, what cameras are you using?  The interior camera could also be replaced and moved so the TV doesn't cover it.

I like your large monitor, I never use the radio and wouldn't mind replacing it with a better screen.

I just acquired a new toad, 2021 Ram, the video quality is amazing compared to the 2014 it replaced.  I can imagine a similar improvement with your setup.

Edited by Hypoxia

On 1/9/2021 at 9:07 AM, pwhittle said:

The side cameras are BOYO VTK230HD’s.

Our original rear camera is working quite well for now so I a done any research into a replacement.

Paul

What I notice with the rear camera is that it's hard to see things in bright sunlight due to glare, and maybe the exposure control for the camera.  On overcast days it works quite well.  Some sort of sun shade may be a great improvement.

Edited by Mike H

I have a 2005 sig and lost one of the mirrors. I bought Ram o Truvision mirrors with the camera built in lower of 2 mirrors. Doe’s Antony know where I can get an adapter of harness or how to rewire Velvac 3 mirror plug and intec camera to the Ramco 2 mirror camera set up?

the Ramco is supposed to be heated. The Ramco has 6 wires to the mirror and 3 to the cameras. The Velvac 3 mirror is heated and has 12 wire plug with intec camera has 4 wires.

thanks if you an help

I just posted question about Ramco rewire from Velvac and intec camera. I got the plug a for the cameras backwards. The Ramco has 4 wires and the intec camera has 3.

thanks again

Hi Paul,

Can you take a picture of the new 4-pin plug? I have some of the 3-pin plug in the generator bay and if you have the pin outs of the new connector and can work out the connector, I can likely make a cable to suit.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks, do you need me to remove the plug for the cameras and take pictures or just photo of the plug on the harness. This would be so helpful.

Would you be able to work out the 3 mirror Velvac 3 mirror 12 plug to the Ramco Truvision 2 mirror 6 plug?

Paul 

332-237-9811

Hi Paul,

I expect we can take care of both. Perhaps Velvac has some documentation on their mirrors. Can you try to find that?

And welcome to Monacoers! Sorry you had to come here with a problem.

Paul

M

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Paul, 

I sent photos. Please let me know if you need more. I do feel fortunate to have found this sight. Patty and I bought this coach 5 years ago and put 16,000 miles on it until November 2020. We are now full timing for real and it is great to have so much help with problems.

thanks again Paul 

We are blessed on this forum with several truly techincally competent contributors.  Dave Pratt, Chuck B, Frank McElroy, Ivan K, Paul Whittle, Scotty, Tom Cherry, and many others come to mind.  On ANY forum, there will always be "crusty old curmudgeons" and basically crotchety, unpleasant, negative old farts.

When we have someone like Paul Whittle, a software engineer of outstanding talent and considerable business success, who devotes a large amount of time to developing products that solve long-standing problems that previously had no solution (at ANY price)...and which do not have a snowball's chance of returning to him even his development costs, I think it is truly petty that ANYONE might question the price of the products such a person provides, MUCH LESS the motivation for their contribution.

If you think YOU can develop a comparable product at a much lower price, by all means--DO SO!  I'm betting that among all our hundreds (thousands?) of members, not one will step up and offer even a second-rate solution to the toilet controllers Paul Whittle is offering, or the new camera adaptations.  And being the inquisitive fellow that he is, don't be surprised if he comes up with several other software/hardware solutions for otherwise unsolvable problems.

Please don't be part of the legion of cheap-skates who whine even about the price of diesel fuel!  When one amongst you provides an elegant solution to a problem that previously had no solution at ANY price, REJOICE that we have members willing to devote the time to help their fellow Monaco owners.

I have no need of either an electronic toilet controller or an upgraded rear-view camera.  But I assure you that if I did, I would not hesitate to contact a fellow Monacoer who had researched and produced the item I needed.

No, this message is not "aimed" at any one particular person.  I'm just humbly suggesting that you appreciate some of the truly talented people on this forum who can help you with a difficult problem, even when it almost surely will not profit them.

• Like 6

Van,

I couldn’t agree more.

I am new here only a few days and Paul and the site has already provided me with advise and helped me and I would pay anything for real solutions instead of paying 150.00 an hour for somebody to stand around and scratch their head and me standing around  watching them fail at any solution or progress. I have heard so many horror stories and am glad to have people with real solution or learn from their experience.

Paul

Any future orders now include stainless steel replacement screws and locknuts and a grub screw for the wedge mount that the camera installs in on the mirror.

If anyone has received a kit from me and would like the replacement screws, let me know and I will send them to you.

B2CA3A8C-AE33-4B32-927E-E62C2E534ACA.jpeg

Edited by pwhittle
  • Like 1