Greetings...

Hi All,

Just a note to introduce myself and say thanks for all of the great content.  We just purchased our first RV after searching for a while; a well cared for 1997 Monaco Executive that we picked up in AZ.  It's pretty much original inside, so we'll be gradually remodeling, and as I've been learning about the chassis, this forum has been invaluable. There's so much to learn about operating, maintaining, storing, stocking, and finding destinations...it's a bit overwhelming, but fun at the same time. I can't imagine the experience without the internet.

Safe travels.

• Like 1

If it spent a lot of it's life in Arizona it should give you plenty of enjoyment. Welcome to the forums. Check out the Tips and Tricks forum and be sure to subscribe to any topics of interest. Remember, there are no stupid questions. Often, there's stupid answers but never any stupid questions....Dennis

• Haha 2

welcome from a former Cali person. Sounds like a great coach and you are correct in that you will become an expert on the engineering and operation of every system on your coach. You are among a great season team of been there done that folks!

Thanks all for the welcome messages.  Vito, it has the M11 engine.  I was searching for that motor, and it found 2 coaches - one was shorter with a slide-out, and the other was longer without a slide (that's what we decided to go with).  It's outfitted pretty well, and for the most part all accessories are in good working condition and hopefully will last a while (or at least fail in phases rather than all at once 🙂).  It's pretty neat having 3 separate diesel motors sharing a single fuel tank.  Oh, and I did manage to swipe an awning arm off at the place where we store it, so going forward my wife will be on a walkie guiding me through a couple of tight spots. Live & learn. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just purchased a 2001 Executive and sorting everything out myself. Had to pull the Aquahot system entirely out of the belly and rebuild the entire unit! Have been chasing down water leaks from curb side to street. Finally ready for our first shake down excursion next week. I restored a Winnebago last year and the build quality of the Monaco is unbelievable in comparison. good luck and hope to meet at a Monocoers event.     

Welcome Jon. You'll find the information given on this site to be head and shoulders above those "other' sites. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you need something. We are here to help..Be sure to visit the "Downloads" section up at the top for valuable info.....Dennis

Edited by Dennis H
  • Like 1

Welcome to the group Jon. There is such a plethora of data here on this site in addition to the wisdom and knowledge of the members who frequent this site that the only question not answered is the one not asked.

In regards to the Aqua-Hot I commend you on having removed and rebuilt the unit yourself. Mine had to be removed in late 2005 and a rebuilt unit was installed early in 2006 due to a fresh water loop leak inside the unit. Back then it was only $5K-6K for the entire job but these days it's $10-$12K just for the rebuilt Aqua-Hot from the factory PLUS the labor on top. If mine ever goes again I will have the entire unit removed followed with the installation of an ESPAR Heating & Hot Water System. Much easier to work on and service plus a much more compact unit. A close friend of mine in Seattle has had two installed, one in his 2003 Diplomat (which burnt to the frame) and one in his current coach a 2002 Scepter. I hope you have good luck with the rebuilt Aqua Hot. Also, I highly recommend joining the Hydronic Heating Forum run by Roger Berke of California. I consider Roger to be the #1 guru of Aqua Hot. Then there is John Carrillo of Fredrick CO who I consider to be #2. These two guys are the best you will find when it comes to Aqua Hot knowledge.

Roger Berke's forum site: http://forum.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/content.php

• Like 1

It was the fresh water loop that failed. Could have been winterization or maybe condensation that split the copper in several spots. Its all back together now and working flawlessly. Wish I had the the contact info before I tore into it. The factory tech was not helpful almost laughing at the idea of me rebuilding the unit . I have a well outfitted shop large enough to work on the coach inside.  Some pictures of the damage freezing water pressure creates and the new copper rapping. In the end I was able to make several improvements over the original design.   

20210301_130212.jpg

20210302_154750.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes this is the old style with outside rapping and the tank is filled with normal 50/50 automotive antifreeze. When they place fresh water loop inside the tank could no longer  use the toxic antifreeze. I duplicated the 35 raps exactly which came out to something like 150 feet of copper. Sweat in a new mixing valve while I was in there. Total cost came in just under 200 bucks. Labor was the fun part. Took 3 days!  

Edited by Jonbrooks

Guest Ray Davis

Tony & Jon,  Welcome to the best group around hope you both enjoy.

Jon those pictures really caught my attention.  In the 1st pict it looks so bad and the 2nd pict  wala  beautiful.   Many of us have an AquaHot just like yours so watch  out, don't put your address on here.   I have seen some pictures of other peoples copper winding and yours gets the prize for best.  It looks like winding those coils could be a wrestling match.   Maybe you can put together a list of the supplies you used and the steps so that others of us brave enough and willing to endure skinned knuckles can repair ours too .  That is unless you want to volunteer,  ok I didn't think so.   😁

I always love it when someone is told, "Oh, you can't do that yourself!  You need an expert to do that!"...and they do a bang-up better job than they could have paid for ANYWHERE.  How many times have so many of us turned to a so-called expert for advice?  And how many times have you realized only a few minutes into the conversation that YOU could be advising THEM, instead of the other way around?  I think many of our forum members have great depth of knowledge in any number of areas...and perhaps more importantly, a "can do" attitude.

Recently, Paul Whittle (aka "Pooper Paul" or "Shitter Whittle"...the electronic toilet circuit board man) was at my house and discovered a gray-water leakage problem was due to a FAULTY PVC fitting in an ungodly place to get to, much less repair.  Long story short, Paul made a first-rate repair to a problem that appeared almost impossible to fix.  We both agreed that either of us would have been willing to spend whatever it cost to have SOMEONE ELSE fix this knotty problem.  But, "who ya gonna call?"  Some things can only be repaired properly by an owner who is MOTIVATED to do a first-class job.

Years ago, this was the "go to" forum for DIY.  It seemed to slip towards a forum that told you every reason you should NOT try to repair something yourself, including why it was too dangerous.  I never disregard safety, but I'm glad to see more and more posts with the "can do" attitude returning.

Jon, I look forward to your future posts.  Kudos!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest Ray Davis
On 3/28/2021 at 8:10 AM, Jonbrooks said:

Yes this is the old style with outside rapping and the tank is filled with normal 50/50 automotive antifreeze. When they place fresh water loop inside the tank could no longer  use the toxic antifreeze. I duplicated the 35 raps exactly which came out to something like 150 feet of copper. Sweat in a new mixing valve while I was in there. Total cost came in just under 200 bucks. Labor was the fun part. Took 3 days!  

3 days,  that's remarkable,  I'm thinking 3 months for me, or if I got in a rush, maybe 2 mos.  LOL    And then there's Paul ( pcpronze ) who rebuilt his later model boiler.      We have got talent on here, I'm impressed.   If you haven't read it you guys should check out this thread.                                                      https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/engine-quit-on-my-2000-diplomat-526808.html

I have an 03 Windsor that has the old style AquaHot boiler and Paul has an 06 with the newer boiler so they changed boiler types somewhere in that time frame.     That is important because as mentioned above we can use regular auto antifreeze but newer units must use boiler antifreeze ( non toxic ) or you could poison your drinking water if those copper coils rupture or spring a leak.

Edited by Ray Davis