Front Wheel Torque Specifications

Quick question about servicing front wheel bearings. I have a 2004 Monaco Camelot that I am getting ready to service the front wheel bearings.  Nowhere in my manual or any data I have states how many foot pounds to torque the lug nuts.  I have read views on what people think but I need facts.  Also what is the foot pounds to torque the nut that holds the bearings in.  Thanks in advance for any hard data that is provided.

Don

I don't remember the torque for the wheels from one of my tours of the Elkhart chassis factory in the second half of the 2000 decade. 200 ft lbs seems to be in my head. But I do remember that a young man torqued them with a very long torque wrench. He let me try it and I couldn't get the torque wrench to click. I was 6' 3", 240 lbs and it was a slap in the face. 

Gary 05 AMB DST

Facts

If you want facts 💯 

There are suggested recommendations 

Only fact I know of is.

I don't want a lug nut to loosen up.

And none have.

Funny thing is

I have ask a dozen comercial truck tire shops what numbers they use.

They say

As tight as the air drive tool goes.

Best knowledgeable source I know ???

Call Josams , Orlando.

They do my motor home annually. 

The Mack truck shop does out tractors. 

Funny thing is

I asked the mechanic at Josams in January what he set my front hub nuts at ???

He said 

The correct Amount as I always do.

End of conversation 

So

Goodluck getting , facts 

On my 04 Holiday Rambler Endeavor with ALCOA wheels  425 ft lbs.

Bearing preload should be described in your axle manufacturer's service manual. It is a 3 step process in my case,  to leave just enough of a slack for temperature expansion. The slack is then measured to confirm correct value in single thousands.  Or you can do as some truckers on YouTube do, slap it on and go...  As far as lug nuts, the one time I had the tires mounted at a tire shop, the nut washers were oiled and nuts torqued with a manual torque wrench to 500 lbs. That is exactly what my Monaco manual says as well. And that's what I do myself since that first time. Alcoa wheels as well.

• Like 1

Hope this helps. Lug nut torque is stated in a rather unusual place in our owners manual, “Driving Safety” (certainly not where I would look for it!) From p 2-84 of the 2004 Camelot Owners Manual:

Front Wheels:
Slide the front wheel over the studs, being careful not to damage stud threads. Snug the nuts in sequence, do not tighten them fully until all have been seated. Tighten the nuts to 500 ft.lbs in sequence
(as shown in the illustration).

97CC1C2F-A171-44E6-992C-F42294E58F56.jpeg.358a808222216238ba50d3e956bebd98.jpeg

Dual Rear Wheels:
Slide the inner dual wheel over the studs, being careful not to damage the stud threads. Align the handholds for valve access and slide the outer dual wheel over the studs, again being careful not to damage the stud threads.
Snug the nuts in sequence, do not tighten them fully until all have been seated. Tighten the nuts to 500 ft. lbs. using the sequence (as shown in the illustration). The hub mount wheels use two piece flange cap nuts for both front and rear applications. No inner cap nuts are required.

Torque the Nuts Properly:
• Tighten the wheel nuts to the recommended lug nut torque. Do not over tighten.
• Maintain the nut torque at the recommended level through planned periodic checks or at 10,000 miles intervals, whichever comes first.
• If air wrenches are used they must be periodically calibrated for the proper torque output. Use a torque wrench to check the air wrench output and adjust the line pressure for the correct torque.

• Like 1

Scotty is spot on re: the lugs.

Wheel bearings require a very specific procedure to seat and set the proper preload.
There were two methods for my 1993 Dynasty.
One results in a small amount of slack, while the method for preloading the bearings requires a different locking nut assembly.
I never run slack in my wheel bearings, as it affects handling and a bit too much can cause bearing damage.

At any rate, consult a manual for the axle type you're working on, and follow it.

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2021 at 4:27 PM, namvet77 said:

Quick question about servicing front wheel bearings. I have a 2004 Monaco Camelot that I am getting ready to service the front wheel bearings.  Nowhere in my manual or any data I have states how many foot pounds to torque the lug nuts.  I have read views on what people think but I need facts.  Also what is the foot pounds to torque the nut that holds the bearings in.  Thanks in advance for any hard data that is provided.

Don

Don

Wheel bearing nut torque specs: https://www.anythingtruck.com/commercial/740-wheel_bearing_adjustment.pdf

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Read this!!!

https://community.fmca.com/topic/2879-coaches-with-double-ended-wheel-studs/

I just had this issue the tire shop did not center the wheel correctly and then ponded on the lug nuts with there air impact wrench this ended up pulling the studs out some form the hub damaged the back end nuts and they had to cut the nuts off.

There are wheel centering tabs on the hub but they did not allow Monaco to put on there hubcaps so they “trimmed them down” this makes it very easy for a tire changer to misalign the heel on the hub.

Spec is 390-450 max most places are used to trucks at 450-500.