Suggestions for New Tires

Ron Jones

Not trying to open the proverbial "can of worms" here but I need new tires - all of them. I've ran Michelins for the past almost five years and been happy with them but it's time for replacements. I bought the last set through thee FMCA discount program and it worked just fine. 

Does anyone have a suggestion for a tire company anywhere along the Gulf coast (from Georgia to north Texas) that carries a good inventory. Send me their phone number, I'll call.

Thanks.

Ron, I don’t have a specific store, but you might check Southern Tire Mart.  They have multiple locations in the southern and coastal states you are traveling. They handle several brands and might be a good option, though I find it hard to use their online tire finder tool.

After lots of shopping I ended up buying a set of Sumitomos for the old Fleetwood through Akins Ford in Winder GA.  They're a truck dealership as well.  They had the best tires for what I could afford.  I wanted Toyos but they were out of my budget.  Goodyear and Michelin were way up there, and their reputations were eroding  Tire Rack, when considering installation, they weren't such a great deal.

Not saying the vendor I used is the best deal.  Just sayin you'd be surprised where you can find the deals at. 

Good luck,

- bob

I have used the FMCA program in the past but the last time I was shopping for tires I checked around & was able to get better pricing at my local Firestone dealer here in central CA. Their total price including mounting & balancing was better than what I saw from several tire dealers in Oregon where they have no sales tax! It just goes to say that we should shop for the best deal. I do think that if we have tire issues we probably would like to have bought from a dealer that we have a past business relationship with.

We are running Toyo, 295/75R/22.5, $2680.00 out the door for six.

My neighbor has run Toyo for 18 years with no issues.

Put Toyo on my Honda Accord and they ran much quieter than the almost new Firestones that were traded in.

• Like 1

I chose Toyo’s when I needed tires. I purchased them at my local Firestone tire dealer whose final price beat both the FMCA pricing & quotes that I had from a couple of tire dealers in OR where there is no sales tax. Michelin’s are good tires but it’s hard to justify the higher cost knowing that they will age out long before running out of tread. I often bought Toyo tires for our regional trucks for many years when I was working.

Edited by Land Lubber
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, CRY1942 said:

We are running Toyo, 295/75R/22.5, $2680.00 out the door for six.

My neighbor has run Toyo for 18 years with no issues.

Put Toyo on my Honda Accord and they ran much quieter than the almost new Firestones that were traded in.

Which model tire from Toyo did you choose? And did you choose the 295/75 because it was more common + cheaper?

I was looking at the M144 295/80 at tiresdirect.net for $444 each. 

• Like 1

I used motorhometires.com for our new tires. All in all I'm happy with the purchase. They have several brands to choose from and the pricing was good. They hire a local company to install them and they come to your location. That worked great for us. Only issue I had was the tires were about 9 months old. But they did compensate me since they were suspost to be no older than 6 months. 

13 hours ago, Yoaks5 said:

I used motorhometires.com for our new tires. All in all I'm happy with the purchase. They have several brands to choose from and the pricing was good. They hire a local company to install them and they come to your location. That worked great for us. Only issue I had was the tires were about 9 months old. But they did compensate me since they were suspost to be no older than 6 months. 

I went there and they wanted 5 grand for 8 toyo m144's, I thought that was kind of high. Like a grand high.

I'd love to get tires put on without having to drive it somewhere though, since these tires are dated 2010.

On 6/10/2021 at 8:47 AM, directorsusa said:

Which model tire from Toyo did you choose? And did you choose the 295/75 because it was more common + cheaper?

I was looking at the M144 295/80 at tiresdirect.net for $444 each. 

I wonder what a tire shop charges per tire for mounting and balancing on a big rv when you buy them somewhere else?

• Like 1

Mike, have you gotten a quote from Barry at Josam's for Toyo tires, 295/80R-22.5 M144?

I purchased my rears there back in 2019 as they were the best price in my area of Florida. I also switched from Dyna Beads to Balance Masters for the rear because the Balance Masters were only a little over $100 more than what it was going to cost me for the Dyan Beads. When the steers are due I will have a set of Balance Masters and Toyo tires installed at Josam's, probably in another 3-4 years.

8 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Mike, have you gotten a quote from Barry at Josam's for Toyo tires, 295/80R-22.5 M144?

I purchased my rears there back in 2019 as they were the best price in my area of Florida. I also switched from Dyna Beads to Balance Masters for the rear because the Balance Masters were only a little over $100 more than what it was going to cost me for the Dyan Beads. When the steers are due I will have a set of Balance Masters and Toyo tires installed at Josam's, probably in another 3-4 years.

I'm in Illinois now for the summer.

52 minutes ago, FishAR said:

I wonder what a tire shop charges per tire for mounting and balancing on a big rv when you buy them somewhere else?

Years ago, about 2015, I had tires mounted by a truck shop in DFW and was charged $62 per tire with spin balance. That's almost $500 if I did all 8 of them. Figured for that money I can have all the tools needed to do it myself. I use balance masters for life and switch tires myself. I also have runflats in the front that I would not trust just anyone to reinstall so that is it. I bet mounting cost differs from place to place and at that time I bought the tires from them so that may play a role too but it was a baseline for me. 

• Like 1

Southern Tire Mart regular price was lower than the FMCA program price.  But date code was 15 months old, I guess something to do with Covid.  Figured I check Southern Tire Mart again this fall and maybe new stock will be in.  This was using a 295 tire which is not as popular as the 11R size.  I could probably get by with 11Rs on tag and drive, but need the load capacity of the 295 on steers.

• 1 month later...

I'm also looking for the Toyo's.  Motorhometires.com were no help to me, I couldn't get an answer on the tires or installers.  Simple Tire is out of stock.  Michelins are way over priced, by double.  Adding to all the confusion, I happen to notice yesterday that a previous owner put 275/80r/22.5 on all the rears.  The chassis tire chart clearly reads 295 all around, and there were 305's on the front when I bought it.  I'm still holding out hope for the Toyo's, I have until Sept. for our next trip to Southern CA for winter.  I believe this has more to do with the coming price increases than covid delays.  Or has the planet run out of rubber?  Increased demand = higher prices.  

Just checked Tiresdirect.net.  OUT of stock on the Toyo M144 295/80r's.

1 hour ago, woodylmiller said:

I'm also looking for the Toyo's.  Motorhometires.com were no help to me, I couldn't get an answer on the tires or installers.  Simple Tire is out of stock.  Michelins are way over priced, by double.  Adding to all the confusion, I happen to notice yesterday that a previous owner put 275/80r/22.5 on all the rears.  The chassis tire chart clearly reads 295 all around, and there were 305's on the front when I bought it.  I'm still holding out hope for the Toyo's, I have until Sept. for our next trip to Southern CA for winter.  I believe this has more to do with the coming price increases than covid delays.  Or has the planet run out of rubber?  Increased demand = higher prices.  

Just checked Tiresdirect.net.  OUT of stock on the Toyo M144 295/80r's.

Did you call motorhometires.com or just email?

I'm thinking about buying the same size in Hercules from them.

I clicked a link about the local installer hoping I could find out who it is but all it's got me is a bunch of spam from them.

Simply typing "m144 toyo" in google shows a few retailers online - Onlinetires.com & Simpletire.com state they have in stock @ $465.79 & $465.99. Also, I dont know where you are located, but maybe try to google "truck tires near me". 1st question is to see if they sell truck/18-wheeler tires, then ask if they have or can order Toyos and then ask to order the M144 295/80r's. They might try to talk you into the 75s but just tell them you need the weight ratings of the 80s. 

Let us know how your search goes.

Jarred A. 

04 HR Nav.

Edited by directorsusa

11 minutes ago, djkantanen said:

I used Motorhometires.com and purchased 8 Hercules tires. Give them a call they are excellent to work with, price was great and installation went as scheduled at our rv site. This was in April in Casa Grande, Arizona.

Have you driven on them much? Like them ok?

I've searched out a lot of reviews and haven't seen any major complaints.

I had to put Hercules on my Montana when I had bad tire wear on the way to Florida and it turned out to be a bent axle. Had them put on after the axle was replaced since I was a thousand miles from home they're all I could get. They've been good so far.

Yes, we had to put one on a year ago when road side assistance put on a Hurcules after a Lt front tire blow out.  Liked it so put all other 7 Hurcules on. First time out with all new it rode harder than old ones but after adjusting with a little less air rides great.  Took 2 weeks from order date to installation. They keep us informed as to who was going to install, ship date , etc.

• Like 1