Power Steering Pump

Page 345 of my 2002 Endeavor Owners Manual -

"The power steering reservoir with internal filter is located in rear engine compartment. The hydraulic filter assembly is located inside the reservoir. It is rated at ten micron*. The reservoir is filled with Dexron III Automatic Transmission Fluid from the factory.
Filter assembly: Nelson 910048A
Element number: 83213D (ten micron)

The primary function of the power steering reservoir is to keep the steering system free of contamination and to dissipate excessive heat that builds during extreme operating conditions.
Check the oil level in the reservoir every 6,000 miles or three months. The oil dipstick fill is located on top of the reservoir in the rear compartment. The oil level should be kept between the full and add marks on the dipstick. If adding fluid is required, use only Dexron III Automatic Transmission Fluid.
"

- bob

These reservoirs are sadly neglected. 

Most owners don't know they exist.

And they never get serviced , ever.

Moisture can be the biggest contamination. 

In my opinion

Filters should be changed annually. 

The system should be flushed and changed at least every 5 years.

Gary, problem was that all the coaches did not have the same fluid, the red color was Dextron, straw was AW46 Hydraulic fluid, brown was engine oil,40W if I remember right. The correct fluid question was asked quite often back in your coach age group.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

I was replying to the 02 Endeavor owner's manual post. My 05 AMB was the first year on the Roadmaster 8 airbag chassis which was carried over from 04 Endeavor.  My owner's manual says I have a coolant filter but it was eliminated by the EPA. Holiday Rambler never changed that in the carryover of the 04 owner's manual. No telling how far back that owner's manual goes.

Gary 05 AMB DST

• 3 months later...

Reviving this post... my owners manual also identifies a Filter assembly Nelson 91085G AND a Filter number 84365A.  Servicing recommended annually or every 15,000 miles.  I've owned the beast for 5,000.  It has 75,000 miles in it.  There is no indication it's ever been changed (specified 15W-40 or the filter).  Is the "Filter assembly" the housing?  Or are there multiple filters in the black cylinder, as I have noted in other threads?  

When doing the change, is it best to pump out the chamber, fish out all the filters (assuming there are multiple ones) and then change the filters and refill the housing??  How do I get all the oil out of the hydraulic power steering system?  Does this involve disconnecting lines from the power steering pump (which I would need to locate)?

Thanks in advance for the help! 

And by the way, every system, with exception of the transmission, is also getting serviced... 

Steve,

I never got into the hydraulic system until I had the Sheppard Steering box changed out for the TRW. I figured it was a good time to change the filters. I purchased the filters and took them to Josam's who was doing the work. They changed the filters and top off the fluid which was red ATF. The old filters look just like the brand new ones. I did all of this back in June of 2017 at 75K clicks on the ODO.

Personally, unless you are opening up the hydraulic system or are having problems with repairs or failures within the system then the 15K/Annual service is overkill.

Fluid level gets checked yearly when engine service is done.

JMHO

On 6/15/2021 at 9:49 AM, Dr4Film said:

Mike,

It is a HUGE and black. You can't miss it!

Photo attached of mine which is on the right as you are looking at the engine.

ISC-350 Engine-02 .JPG

do you have the part number for the filters that go in the reservoir, i believe there are 3.

thanks, ken 

My hydraulic filter part numbers were buried in the text in the owner's manual, in a chapter titled Chassis Information, right after the section on the Fuel System, and the heading was Hydraulic System .   They were not in the tables with specs and filter numbers near the end.  Not sure why.  Do you have an owner's manual? 

Edited by Steve P

19 hours ago, lusgi said:

do you have the part number for the filters that go in the reservoir, i believe there are 3.

Nelson 8410B

I bought them from Ryder Fleet Products  but they closed up shop now. You will have to spend some time on the Internet to find another source.

Edited by Dr4Film

On 6/15/2021 at 10:04 AM, John Haggard said:

The system should be flushed and changed at least every 5 years

Guess I’m 16 years later on changing the fluid...will be 17 next year.I did the filters probably 8 years ago on the 04 Dynasty and I do check the level, look at, and smell the oil on the stick occasionally.

Edited by Ivylog

17 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

I just bought a boat load of Donaldson filters from Diesel Equip Inc. 

https://www.dieselequipmentinc.com/

I can't comment on quickness (new customer, just placed the order) but quite the savings over Amazon.

They have a pretty good cross-reference system, too. 

- bob

Thanks Bob.   They have the 84365A, but not the 91085G.  Headed for NAPA on my errands this morning...

10 hours ago, lake49068 said:

Just purchased NAPA 1487...they did the crossover so should be easy to get.  Not sure how difficult it is to change, I just provide all filters to my servicing garage so there is no confusion or delays.

Adam

Adam, is your MH built by Navistar? I see that they bought Monaco in 2009.

Gary 05 AMB DST

NAPA cross-referenced my 84365A to their 1487 Gold.  They concluded the 91085G was the housing.   So I bought a 1487.  As soon as I got home, something tells me there are going to be 2 or 3 of those in the housing from re-reading this thread.  I'll buy two more to be sure.  I'll pump or siphon as much oil out of the system as I can, but I don't think I'm going to tempt fate to start leaks by disconnecting any lines.  I'll just check the oil level after letting the engine run and cranking the wheel back and forth... that should work, right? 

The lines on the bottom of my tank were all the 37 degree flared hydraulic type.  These types of lines only required a decent amount of tightening and they will not leak. 

Large equipment use the same type of fitting and run pressures in excess of 3500 psi.  Once the fittings are tightened there is little chance of a leak.  They are used in the most harshest of environments (logging, mining, construction) and are proven. 

Don't be afraid of taking a fitting loose.  The real only concern would be contamination into the system, make sure to plug or cap any loose lines.