They don’t make a bean bag mount for the RV890 yet. I’ve been looking. We used a sticky pad under the screw down adapter for now because the wife wants to see the screen too. It holds ok but not a long term solution. The RAM mounts are 17mm for the 7 series, the RV890 uses a 25mm (1”)ball. I’m open to suggestions too.

8 minutes ago, Mark B said:

They don’t make a bean bag mount for the RV890 yet. I’ve been looking. We used a sticky pad under the screw down adapter for now because the wife wants to see the screen too. It holds ok but not a long term solution. The RAM mounts are 17mm for the 7 series, the RV890 uses a 25mm (1”)ball. I’m open to suggestions too.

Ugh. Not cool. Bean bag works so well on our 770.

Edited by Dear LaserWorks

Also use the friction mount (Amazon) for the 760. Very little movement and no holes or sticky residue. Been on some really rough roads that even challenge air ride! Might slide a bit but easy to reposition. That 1090 looks cool. Looking at Silver Leaf integration upgrade.

• Like 1

JDCrow - Like your setup. I have used Ram for a couple of trucks. Might look into for rig. Just not sure where to put it. Space on the flight deck is limited!

18 hours ago, Mark B said:

Normal Ram mounts are 1" ball (25 mm) so any Ram mount pieces will work.  For my RV770 I had to get an adapter with 17mm ball on one end and 25mm on the other.  Not needed if the 890 already uses 25mm.  I mounted a 25mm ball to the bottom side of my overhead tv cabinet to mount the 770.  Or maybe it's a 760.

Rick M.    2000 Exec.

• Thanks 1

I attached small angle brackets to two of the screws that hold down the dash access hatch.  Then I attached an 18” by 1/2” by 1/2” piece of aluminum stock.  I have Ram mounts attached to that.  I currently have an Eeztire, an old Garman, an iPhone 6s Visible running Waze, and a 7” Android tablet running Copilot truck.  Puts everything within my sight line.  No holes in the dash.  

7 hours ago, Pepperell said:

I attached small angle brackets to two of the screws that hold down the dash access hatch.  Then I attached an 18” by 1/2” by 1/2” piece of aluminum stock.  I have Ram mounts attached to that.  I currently have an Eeztire, an old Garman, an iPhone 6s Visible running Waze, and a 7” Android tablet running Copilot truck.  Puts everything within my sight line.  No holes in the dash.  

Got any pics of this? Thanks

7 hours ago, Pepperell said:

iPhone 6s? You can still get apps to run on that? My IPad Air 2 is getting retired as I have apps the won’t run on itZ 

9 hours ago, JDCrow said:

iPhone 6s? You can still get apps to run on that? My IPad Air 2 is getting retired as I have apps the won’t run on itZ 

6s is my old phone that’s dedicated to hotspot usage and Waze.  My personal is an XS 512 Gb.  6s feeds the ubiquity external antenna and router when there’s no rv park WiFi.  

10 hours ago, ncsteve said:

Got any pics of this? Thanks

079A950C-E683-4CA9-BE90-CE1FA584121D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2021 at 9:16 PM, Mark B said:

I found a bean bag mount for the RV890 on Amazon.  Less than $10.  Weighs 1lb-3oz.  2lbs-10oz with the RV890 attached.  The disc is 3 7/8 inches (95mm) in diameter.  The RV890 suction cup is about 3 1/2 inches in diameter. Has a rubber pad and a sticky ring on the bottom to minimize slippage.  Works like a charm.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Dashboard-Magellan-Portable-Navigators/dp/B0772CR74K/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=bean+bag+dash+mount&qid=1626114350&sr=8-3

Amazon also has 95mm dashboard discs to mount to the dashboard to use with the RV890's mount's larger suction cup.  Two for less than $10.

https://www.amazon.com/Randconcept-Adhesive-Dashboard-Mounting-Diameter/dp/B07SPJ7BSX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1WLCCT6FEY2GR&dchild=1&keywords=95mm+dashboard+mounting+disk&qid=1626114777&sprefix=95mm+dashboard+mount%2Caps%2C429&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQVpLSVlSRkdERFkwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjQ3OTQ4Mk1BRUNGQzhWMFBERSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDM4NDY1R0NWMkFPM003VUVWJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

IMG_0092.thumb.jpg.d0b0add3910090dd8d4887aa68feaa3d.jpgIMG_0093.thumb.jpg.19e6ce46e74b31c7fdd0bc861c291de0.jpgIMG_0094.thumb.jpg.44dbf6d83e5c9b4bc1d28fbcc47ffb47.jpgIMG_0098.thumb.jpg.dab927079bbc1cb9fa7a7a01889babd7.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

Edited by Joe E.
Deleted duplicate picture. JE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Joe E. said:

I found a bean bag mount for the RV890 on Amazon.  Less than $10.  Weighs 1lb-3oz.  2lbs-10oz with the RV890 attached.  The disc is 3 7/8 inches (95mm) in diameter.  The RV890 suction cup is about 3 1/2 inches in diameter. Has a rubber pad and a sticky ring on the bottom to minimize slippage.  Works like a charm.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Dashboard-Magellan-Portable-Navigators/dp/B0772CR74K/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=bean+bag+dash+mount&qid=1626114350&sr=8-3

Amazon also has 95mm dashboard discs to mount to the dashboard to use with the RV890's mount's larger suction cup.  Two for less than $10.

Nice! I just ordered one to mount my RVi display mount which falls off my dash when it gets too hot. Now I'll be able to move it around, too, not stuck in one spot. Thanks for sharing what you found.

Sticking it to the window is good, but on some RVs when you open the window to pay a toll it can be in the way.  RAM has an adapter for changing the size if you go that route.  I have used them for years on the MC and in my trucks, as well as RVs.  All the ideas presented have their benefits, just be careful not to block your view with bright screens while driving.

How do you like the Garmin?

9 hours ago, Dear LaserWorks said:

Nice! I just ordered one to mount my RVi display mount which falls off my dash when it gets too hot. Now I'll be able to move it around, too, not stuck in one spot. Thanks for sharing what you found.

The bean-bag mount I used for my RVIBrake-3 display came from Amazon. love it!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LRMS66/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Dr4Film

George,

Only been on one trip with the RV890.  Learned 2 things:

1. The suction mount will not hold on a textured slightly curved dash (duh).

2. The unit will not download and install a map update when connected via WiFi to a phone hotspot or MiFi.  It looks like it is going to work, but never installs the update.  However, using the supplied USB cable to connect the unit to a laptop that is connected via WiFi to a phone hotspot or MiFi and running GarminConnect on the laptop works fine. 

Maybe more after the next trip.

On 7/13/2021 at 7:22 AM, 6Wheels said:

How do you like the Garmin?

I don't the differences from an RV 890 but I have an RV770 . . . .

In autoroute it sometimes takes me waayyyy out of the way, sometimes an hour, for routes I used to travel without the "RV" route.  No low overheads, no overweight bridges, no narrow roads.  Maybe there's paid advertisers on the longer route 😉 .  I might be retired but I don't have THAT much time!

In autoroute the GPS will show a rendering of the exit / turn.  If scrolling through turns in the route it shows a rendering of every exit / turn.  Very realistic. 

When looking at the big picture there's very little detail (detail level is at max setting).  It will show the outline of a town but no name.  Same for roads - just squiggles, no names (or #). 

When missing a turn or intentionally going off route it re-calculates pretty fast.  Well, compared to my StreetPilot III 🐢

With no route programmed it doesn't tell me how far to the next exit.  Exit x - yyyy road ahead, but no mileage.  nit picking but nice to know . . .

But it DID replace the previous GPS, a Garmin Streetpilot III Color, so that says something (like not having to reprogram the maps for long distance trips).  RV770 contains the entire US (as all modern GPSs do).  SP3 w 128MB card will only cover most of the SE US, and host software isn't compatible with Win 7 or Win 10.  I have to keep a machine with Win XP, which Microsoft disabled all browsers for (security issue).  It's painful getting old . . . .

It's challenging to find stops (food, gas, etc.) along the way.  Streetpilot III is much much easier (but map data is 20+ yrs old).  Google to the rescue. 

Many times I'll check the route with Google Maps as a 2nd source.  Highly recommend!

- bob