Condencer drip

So i have a 2003 HR Endeavor an on humid days i get water running off the roof. I know the water is normal, however under my coach there are tubes with evacuator valves on them an there is never anything coming out from them. Were these coaches equiped with drain tubes for the ac unit? Or are those tubes for something else?

I’m following this topic as well.    My 09’ Beaver Marquis has 3 tubes, 2 toward the front and 1 toward the rear for each of the AC’s. I blew them out last week and confirmed they are clear from the roof top drain cup to the bottom of the tube outlets.  My rear drains water but my front 2 are sporadic.  I think it all depends if I have the coach just at the right level angle.  I would like to improve to have a definite consistent drain all the time.  I can’t confirm but I feel the drain tubes may have a level section and not a good downhill gradient all the way down to the low point.  There is definitely a level section up in the AC return cavity where each drain cup joins to one tube.  Anyone have suggestion how to improve positive drain?

thx, Bob….

Rik,

I have been wondering about the same thing.  I have a 2005 Safari Cheetah and it has always dripped, but now I am getting hard water spots on the side of the rv.  I have seen RV gutters that can be place on the side of your RV to direct the water to the front or back of the coach.  

https://www.amazon.com/Esssentials-UW05004-Polar-White-Gutter/dp/B009IGF42G/ref=pd_ybh_a_14?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=F6HDD94CWTP073E7S4S8

I had the water runoff issue on our front AC this spring. All our units drain through the AH basement section so there are long runs for two of them. I blew them all from underneath and they seem ok but the front still did not drain. Then I dropped the diffuser, disconnect the houses and cleared them both directions. A chunk of some insect ball/nest blew out the bottom and all is good. Even with the long runs, one would have to be quite out of level for the pan to overflow.

A shop vac connected to the drain hose at the front & rear should suck any debris out.  I used a leaf blower by putting a funnel on the suction side of the blower and sticking the small end against the drain line.  Give it enough time to suck it all out.

Hope this is not a repeat.  I tried to send a response earlier today.  According to my ac guy, if  you have had your original roof top AC units replaced without having a pump installed in the new unit it will not go out the original condensation drain lines.  Unfortunately he did not share this with me until both new units have been installed.  I have condensation running off all over the place.  Now he said that the pumps can be installed but of course at an additional price.  Haven't asked how much that would be. 

Jim Mc

8 hours ago, Ivan K said:

I had the water runoff issue on our front AC this spring. All our units drain through the AH basement section so there are long runs for two of them. I blew them all from underneath and they seem ok but the front still did not drain. Then I dropped the diffuser, disconnect the houses and cleared them both directions. A chunk of some insect ball/nest blew out the bottom and all is good. Even with the long runs, one would have to be quite out of level for the pan to overflow.

Do you think water only drains to the roof if the tube is clogged or the coach is tilted? My front unit drains water to both.. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, trailmug said:

Do you think water only drains to the roof if the tube is clogged or the coach is tilted? My front unit drains water to both.. 🤷‍♂️

Well, it should take the route of least resistance, maybe partially plugged? Or the fan blowing ice through freezing evaporator? But that would likely be mostly inside. I have water dropping on my feet when running dash AC sometimes, from the cold air hoses condensation. Always something. I know I could insulate them but...

Thinking about it some more, maybe even a condensation on outside of the evaporator box under the top cover?

Edited by Ivan K

Guest Ray Davis
19 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

evacuator valves

Good morning Rik,   I'm late to this thread, and wondering what do you mean by evacuator valves?   I'm pretty sure no Endeavors were not equipped with drain tubes.

I remember quite a few yrs ago we were camped at " The land between the lakes "  in Tenn with another couple.  Humidity was off the chart,  and his A/C was dripping inside,  we thought the drain was clogged so up on the roof we went,  but no they were not clogged.  It was making water so fast that gravity couldn't keep up with it.

I had been on a 5 week trip, part of which was out west during some really hot (+100F) weather.  Ran both AC and did not have a problem with condensation.  I had this problem last week, very humid.  The front AC started to drip but seemed to stop.  Went to bed and had some water on the floor in the morning but what was worse is when I shut the AC off a substantial amount of water came out (several cups of water) that I frantically tried to catch.  I suspect that the water was in the duct work and the fan kept it pushed up hill but when I shut the AC off it came flowing out.  

I know that there was was water coming off the roof, I didn't check the AC drain but will check to make sure it is clear.  I just redid my roof gaskets last year and made sure the lines were clear.  I added the new drain cups and tubing.  But it wouldn't take much for the drain pans to plug, small holes, one stink bug in the wrong place and it would plug.  By design they are suppose to overflow onto the roof.  

I'm going to check everything and run the AC and make sure it is working as design.  I may even drill a couple small holes in the top of the pans on both sides of the AC so that they overflow to roof faster to avoid any drips on the inside.   

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Good morning Rik,   I'm late to this thread, and wondering what do you mean by evacuator valves?   I'm pretty sure no Endeavors were not equipped with drain tubes.

I remember quite a few yrs ago we were camped at " The land between the lakes "  in Tenn with another couple.  Humidity was off the chart,  and his A/C was dripping inside,  we thought the drain was clogged so up on the roof we went,  but no they were not clogged.  It was making water so fast that gravity couldn't keep up with it.

So i call them evacuator valve, some call them ejector valves, either way its a rubber cap with a slit, an the wieght of the water would allow it to drain whithout allowing anything to make a nest in the tube cause a restriction. 
its a great idea however like everything else they have there own design flaws.

BC725737-7E9A-4F6B-866D-AA3879FDA807.png

Guest Ray Davis
3 minutes ago, Rikadoo said:

So i call them evacuator valve, some call them ejector valves, either way its a rubber cap with a slit, an the wieght of the water would allow it to drain whithout allowing anything to make a nest in the tube cause a restriction. 
its a great idea however like everything else they have there own design flaws.

BC725737-7E9A-4F6B-866D-AA3879FDA807.png

Thanks Rik,  That name is fine,  I thought that's what you were referring to,  I just wasn't sure.  

In the past I have heard them referred to as Duck Bill drains.,  LOL,  wonder why.

Apparently your drains are not connected to your A/Cs,  another one of Monaco's mysteries I suppose.  If you can locate the top end of the hose in the A/C cavity       above the filter in air chamber I think you could hook them up if that is something important to you.

Ya know... i was just sitting hear lettin my dinner settle, what if i used a smoke machine connected to those tubes, then i could locate the other ends alot easier. It sure beats pullin things appart lookin for stuff. Last year i painted my roof on  the coach an i got to say im done crawlin around up there if i dont have to. 

No one so far has identified their AC brand...wondering if different brands have different ways of feeding the drain lines.  My 2010 Neptune has Carrier AC's and not only have I had drain lines plugged but "gunk" blocking the condensation collection tray that feeds the hose.  Removed the roof cover shroud and cover over the collection tray.  On the Carrier the plastic collection cover has perhaps 5 tabs and one screw holding it in place...that's where the gunk was blocking the internal holes feeding the drain hose.  Now consider it a PM item...just not often.  But did the front AC 2 days ago since there was water on the side wall.  Goes quickly after gaining experience with the first one.  

Adam

I've got the Dometic Penguin AC's with the drain pans.  There is not an easy way to clean these, no access by removing the shroud.  So even if you blow the lines from inside or outside the debris just stays in the pans and clogs the drain hole again.

Guest Ray Davis

I have a small shop vac in the coach that I use to suck on the drains from below.   That gets the water flowing and at least gives me a chance to pull the stoppage out into my vac.   Blowing may get the water flowing but the stuff is still up there to clog again.    Blowing inside may blast some crud out of the pans,  however the pans fit up close to the underside of the A/C

This picture shows the 2 plastic drain pans that attach outside under the drain holes, the tubes then bring the water inside where it flows into a hose and down below

DOMETIC 3107688.016 Drain Kit

On my Dometics, you can see the clear plastic drain hose from inside the coach.  If you see water in the hose, then some water is coming out of the drain pan, but the exit ports (which connect to the clear hose) could be particularly blocked and they might be hard to clean.  Debris in the pan could block.

Another thing I learned was that a droopy clear hose holds water and water backs up in the pan rather than out. Any off level or coach move will cause the full pan to spill onto the roof.  I cut some length from the clear hose and secured level so it drains better into the hose going to the outside. 

My middle A/C had a plugged drain line and water would run onto the roof and down the side.  For some strange reason this year the drain just started to work.  I did put the shop vac to the hoses and all drains are working.  I do notice that the two drain lines that run to the front have a "belly" in them somewhere since the water will just drip and then a couple ounces of water will just dump out.  Nothing to worry about, main thing is that they are all draining.  If it were me I'd get rid of those duck bill drains.  By my way of thinking those duck bills are a solution looking for a problem.  More important for me to watch how the water is draining in real time.

Woody Miller