Fresh Water Pump replacement recommendations

tmw188
Go to solution Solved by Scotty Hutto,

If I can’t get a repair kit for my OE Pump leaking I’m looking for some recommendations. The current pump is a 5.3 gpm. I don’t have a accumulator tank and it surges depending on the demand. It may be over sized. What size pumps do many if you have and any suggestions. I’m not really wanting a tank currently just a pump. There are many 3-3.5gpm pumps online. This is what I have. Aquatec 

BBC51F8E-0E05-47C3-BA1C-088295ABC70B.jpeg

AA964199-F22A-4066-A6E7-3F373D37DFC8.jpeg

6508F8E2-CEFE-4F88-B98A-E7BD44BB3253.jpeg

• Solution

Remco purchased the original company now makes a newer version of that exact pump, called the Remco Aquajet 55 ARV. 

There are a few threads on here discussing it. Meanwhile here is a post from @David Pratt from the old Monacoers form discussing it. 😁

Our Foretravel ih-45 has the Remco Aquajet 55 ARV water pump installed as well as a small Accumulator. The pump is the 5.3 GPM ARV pump. The accumulator is small about 10" long and 5" in diameter. According to my paper work the accumulator is charged at 30psi. The water pump is mounted on a 1/2" thick foam pad on the floor of the bay and is plumbed with two coiled flexible hoses. You can barely hear the pump when it is running and the water pressure is excellent. I have as much water pressure and flow as I do in my Brick house.

I had the same Aquajet ARV 55 water pump in my 05 Monaco Executive with the Large Factory Installed Accumulator. The pump was replaced in 2008 because of a water leak due to corrosion on the two bottom screws of the pump head.. The replacement pump is still in the coach and working flawlessly.

I rarely use the campground water as my daily water source and always use the water pump and the water in the fresh water tank when camping. I am hooked up to the Campground water supply to refill the fresh water tank as neededl.

In my opinion replacing your existing water pump with the Aquajet 55 ARV is a good choice and I do not believe you would be disappointed. You might also look at installing the smaller size accumulator if you have the room. From what I have researched the smaller accumulator is being used in most of the marine applications and it looks like they are making thier way into the RV market.

Just make sure you purchase the 55 ARV pump and not the ES pump. The ARV pump will give you up to 5.3 gallons per minute flow versus the ES pump will only give you 3.5 gallons per minute flow.

I do not know where the poor reliablity came in about the Aquajet pumps, but I have had excellent service from the Aquajet ARV pump in my Exec and hope to get that same service from the same pump in our Foretravel.

As with any product you can have a bad apple once in a while. It doesn't mean the whole product line is bad. The Remco Aquajet gets very high reviews and other than the upgrade to the electronics of the pump it is the same pump as the previous Aquajets

"Happiness Is The Journey, Not The Destination"

David & Sandy Pratt, Melbourne FL

FORETRAVEL IH-45, 2016 Ford Explorer

Bella "The Ratwieler" Yorky and RJ "The Man" Pomeranian

Todd,

That is what was in my previous 02 Windsor and has been replaced by the same model which is now a Remco. Mine did not surge nor was there ever a surge tank. It is a variable speed pump so when the demand is low it won't run as fast as when the demand is higher.

Possibly your pressure valve was acting up causing it to surge.

I would replace it with the Remco Aqua-Jet ARV55 which is 5.3 gpm. Unless you want to try the smaller version of the Remco Aqua-Jet model AES55 which is 3.5 gpm.

Up to you. By the way, Amazon has the descriptions wrong for the two models on their website. So don't get confused.

Thanks guys for the recommendations. It’s dripping from the bottom of pressure switch, but that’s the position it’s mounted in. Not sure if it’s worth looking for the leak. Sounds like this leak is typical of this 21yr old pump?  I installed a shut off valve on the pressure side line to isolate the pump so I can remove it and repair or replace. So far since snow birding this season I’ve had to fix a leak on the washer/dryer, replace my old RF18 so why not replace the pump and maybe do the surge tank later if needed. 

19 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Todd,

That is what was in my previous 02 Windsor and has been replaced by the same model which is now a Remco. Mine did not surge nor was there ever a surge tank. It is a variable speed pump so when the demand is low it won't run as fast as when the demand is higher.

Possibly your pressure valve was acting up causing it to surge.

I would replace it with the Remco Aqua-Jet ARV55 which is 5.3 gpm. Unless you want to try the smaller version of the Remco Aqua-Jet model AES55 which is 3.5 gpm.

Up to you. By the way, Amazon has the descriptions wrong for the two models on their website. So don't get confused.

Richard in what way are the descriptions wrong so I will notice?

Todd,

The Windsor never had a surge tank but the Dynasty I have now does have one.

The only difference I can tell is that when you first turn on any faucet with the surge tank the pump doesn't come on immediately like it did in the Windsor. I really don't see ANY advantage to having a surge tank in an RV versus having one in a house with a well.

The large house well pump units where the surge tanks are much larger, if you only use a small amount of water then the surge tank is useful as the well pump won't turn on until the pressure in the surge tank drops to a specific level. That saves wear and tear on the pump and electricity.

19 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

Richard in what way are the descriptions wrong so I will notice?

Amazon has the Aqua-Jet ARV-55 as having 3.5 gpm and the AES-55 having 5.3 gpm. It is actually the reverse. Plus, normally the ARV is more expensive than the AES. Have no idea why they have it the way it is but we are talking about Amazon not Remco who has it correct.

AquaJet PUMP – Remco (remcoindustries.dreamhosters.com)

Edited by Dr4Film

It seems it’s recommended not to purchase from AMZ because of warranty issues. While sourcing it, it seems CW has the best price and is one of the three Remco recommends to purchase thru. 

8 minutes ago, redstickbill said:

Todd,

When I had to replace the fresh water pump in my 07 Dynasty I found a new pump at Tractor Supply, everything the same as the 5.3 gal OEM pump at about 1/2 the price. It has been working fine for about a year now.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

I just might check into that. Best price currently out the door is about $225. Can you give me more info on that pump, maybe a picture or name?

1 hour ago, redstickbill said:

Todd,

When I had to replace the fresh water pump in my 07 Dynasty I found a new pump at Tractor Supply, everything the same as the 5.3 gal OEM pump at about 1/2 the price. It has been working fine for about a year now.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

(moderator text edit to emphasize the concern for potable water consumption)

I looked on Tractor Supply and spoke to Remco and that pump (5.3 gpm 5500 XXXX) if the one you suggested is not a potable water pump. Agricultural only because it has Vitron valves if I heard her correctly and it will start getting bacteria on the valves and it should not be used in our application for potable water pump. I felt it was important to pass this along to you and anyone following the thread

• Like 3

Ok a follow up on the above mentioned Vitron it should actually be VITON. I spoke to another person to be sure on the spelling. Also while talking about these pumps I asked about accumulator tanks and he said NO on the tanks with the ARV55 it will act funny. He suggested if your dampening down a faucet your going to get that unless you try removing the flow restrictor disc or try drilling a hole in the disc to help reduce it. 🤷 Just passing it on.

Edited by tmw188

According to my build/data sheet my coach originally came with an accumulator tank.  But previous owner had revised the system removing the accumulator and I think replaced the water pump.  Actually mounted it on the wall ~15" above the floor, which opened up some storage space.   Put flexible hose on both the supply and suction line, which I think make the pump quieter. 

I had to replace my pump in 2011, the diaphram actually failed and filled the pump with water.  This is the newest version of the one I replaced it with, at the time this was the best place/price I could find.

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/products/remco-powerrv-aquajet-55aquajet-arv-pump-5-3-gpm-12vdc

1 hour ago, tmw188 said:

The loop is how mine was set up probably OE. Remco recommends not to use accumulator tanks at all. They say it needs a hard stop or shut off something you won’t get with a tank. 

I had an accumulator with my old ShurFlo variable speed pump, but when I replaced the pump with the Remco it made a lot of noise, I think when it was trying to shut off. I removed the accumulator and that cured the noise. But I am pretty sure the Remco speed is not varying; it just seems to cycle on and off. Could it be faulty or might there be another reason for that?

1 hour ago, Jim McGarvie said:

I had an accumulator with my old ShurFlo variable speed pump, but when I replaced the pump with the Remco it made a lot of noise, I think when it was trying to shut off. I removed the accumulator and that cured the noise. But I am pretty sure the Remco speed is not varying; it just seems to cycle on and off. Could it be faulty or might there be another reason for that?

That’s exactly what they said usually happens as you stated if you leave the accumulator tank in place.  It’s searching for a definitive stop in flow or pressure and with the tank it’s a softer stop I guess. He said you may not notice it depending on where the pump is because they are relatively quiet. I’m not trying to convince or make an argument for his opinion but rather just passing it on as a FYI but it does seem to make sense.

On 3/14/2023 at 9:48 PM, Paul A. said:

Some ppl have replaced an accumulator tank witha 12-15" diameter loop in the water line. Seems to absorb the surge and contributes to steady flow. 

Recommend that the or any new pump be installed based on the manufacturer’s instructions.   The history of the Remco RV 55 was that is was designed by AquaJet, a company still in business in California. They made commercial and RV and Agricultural pumps.  It was THEIR design. The do NOT recommend the use of an accumulator….PERIOD.  They recommended removal of such. The accumulators eventually will have the air bladder leak and cause pulsing issues.  Accumulators may have been recommended for different designs or by manufacturers.  When Monaco switched to the AquaJet RV 55 pumps, they removed the accumulator.  Now some have installed the. RV55, presumably with a NEW accumulator and reported no issues

The 15” loop does not function or replace an accumulator.  It IS recommended, on both sides of the pump to isolate the pump and keep the pump from vibrating the hard PEX Tubing or piping. Monaco typically laid it one the floor of a bay.  If the pump is hard plumbed, it will vibrate 

The mounts on the RV 55 used to be on rubber grommets or something to absorb the vibrations.  I do not know if Remco has moved the pump manufacturing from AquaJet or outsourced it or still purchase from AquaJet.  AquaJet no longer provides tech support for the RV 55

Many folks have used a 2x6 or so square wooden block and put a 1/4” rubber isolation pad underneath and screwed the block to the bay floor. Then they mount the new or existing RV55 on the wood with the 16” loops on each end and report almost no noise or sound of the pump running from inside the MH

Thanks Tom for that info. Mine will be going back on the bulkhead in a vertical motor up position as the original pump. I probably have 8-10” loops of hose in place. What I don’t like is the hose is 1/2” and the Pex fittings are 1/2” barb which is smaller than the hose. It appears they heated the hose some and used hose clamps to draw down tight onto the fitting.  I installed a valve on the positive side of the pump hose so it can be isolated or removed if needed without affecting the use of shore water pressure. There is already a valve from fresh water tank. I was hoping to repair the leak/drip from the OE pump but there are no parts available. It would leak when not in use just from the back pressure of the shore water. I’m surprised there isn’t a check valve or maybe there is one in the pump? If not maybe there should be one installed inline? 

1 hour ago, tmw188 said:

Thanks Tom for that info. Mine will be going back on the bulkhead in a vertical motor up position as the original pump. I probably have 8-10” loops of hose in place. What I don’t like is the hose is 1/2” and the Pex fittings are 1/2” barb which is smaller than the hose. It appears they heated the hose some and used hose clamps to draw down tight onto the fitting.  I installed a valve on the positive side of the pump hose so it can be isolated or removed if needed without affecting the use of shore water pressure. There is already a valve from fresh water tank. I was hoping to repair the leak/drip from the OE pump but there are no parts available. It would leak when not in use just from the back pressure of the shore water. I’m surprised there isn’t a check valve or maybe there is one in the pump? If not maybe there should be one installed inline? 

Yes, there is a check valve in the pump.  make sure the instructions say it is OK for a vertical mount.  i certainly am not sayiing it isn't...but mine has a bowl strainer on the inlet and that needs to be horizontal.  if you don't have a separate bowl strainer filter add one.  you can order pump silencing kits with two 18" or so loops that are threaded on each end.  you can go to Lowes and buy the 1/2" ID clear mesh reinforced tubing and the fittings and 4 small band clamps and make your own.  i'd replumb and have the strainer on a 90 deg fitting on the pump inlet and then the 2 loops on each end and then attach to the threaded PEX fittings that are OEM in the MH.  do it once...right and then don't worry.  the Remco should have the snap on or sliding fit connectors and you hard plumb the strainer with a 90 deg fitting.

Just my thinking.....

1 minute ago, tmw188 said:

Yes I have strainer and it was piped correctly OE. It can be mounted vertical or any position they said. 👍

my gut says mount the bowl strainer horizontally.  now that is relying on my menory of changing out my pump twice and i carry a spare

Good deal

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 10:52 AM, Tom Cherry said:

Yes, there is a check valve in the pump.  

Interesting side note… I replaced my old (failed) AquaJet with a new Remco 55AquaJet ARV late last year. I’ve been chasing an issue and pulled the pump today to check that the check valve had not gotten stuck or trash in it… my brand new pump didn’t have a check valve installed! Easy fix, but still… 🤦🏻‍♂️

if you buy a new 55AquaJet ARV pump, check to make sure it has the check valve installed (like the Remco literature says it does…)

If you remove the original accumulator tank, do you just install a plug in the fitting? 

Curious… when I look up viton, it says it can be used in fresh water applications.  If you treat your storage tank, there should be enough chlorine to prevent bacteria I would think (or whatever the camco treatment is).