2002 Windsor - New owner saying Hello

Good time of the day to everyone!

My name is Greg and I am the new owner of 2002 Windsor 38 PBD in green scheme. I believe I am the 4th owner.

First I would like to thank everyone for preserving information and knowledge about these machines on this forum. Its a treasure trove for one who is searching.

I also would like to acknowledge the previous owners of my coach. You guys did an awesome job in preserving this coach in such a great condition and keeping all the records and receipts. I simply couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw it first time. Great job and thank you!

I have been searching, sometimes passively, for a “right” A-class MH for about 7 years now.

Previously my wife and me owned a travel trailer and full size pickup. Kids were small and it worked OK for us for some time.Then, suddenly, kids grew big and pickup wasn’t big enough for all of us. And trailer suddenly become crowded. And I won’t even mention that according to my wife I had complained a lot that nobody was helping me to set up the camp each time…

So, pandemic came, we didn’t use our trailer. Prices for used RV went “thru the roof”. So we decide to sell our trailer, and a truck. That was a good decision. No more worries that trailer would flood, or tires dry out, or someone break in…. I felt very relieved. Life was easy again…

But secretly, I still wondered around certain websites. No, not those websites. I was looking at buses. Just looking, pondering on idea.

Scroll forward, till the moment my wife said: “Kids have summer games this summer. We will have to attend, maybe we shall start looking at motorhomes?”. My bottom jaw probably hit the floor, like in cartoons. I couldn’t believe she said that…

Scroll forward sleepless months, worries of getting a lemon, or one that doesn’t work.

Have you heard the old Russian proverb: “The less you know, the better you sleep?”

I can attend to that.

After checking few potential candidates, and confirming some of my thoughts, which I won’t mention here, I will say - you have to do your homework. And I really mean that.

Sales people - they just that - sales. Do you think ice cream shop employee know how ice cream made? What ratio of indigents? Or what they are? NO! They don’t. They just sell it. Same here.

My motorhome is a Canadian resident. Sold new at Westgate RV, Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada. First owner traded their 98 Windsor for it. Last owner was from Alberta. Now under my ownership, I brought it back to British Columbia Canada.

I am very happy with purchase. I knew most of what I was getting ourself into. Wife approve it now too. We did few trips with it already. It performed more then I anticipated. My research lead me in the right direction. Buying a diesel pusher was right thing for us. Size is good, layout good, colour scheme is great, condition of the MH is super. And did I mention it has 126K mi on clock? Yes, yes! It has been used. But you would never guess that.

Of course its not perfect and there are things to do. I am in the trades professionally, and I think I am capable of doing most of the maintenance myself and few other things. Or I am too naive … We shall see.

See you there,

Greg & Maria

Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 8.20.31 PM.jpeg

• Like 6

Welcome Greg, I had to look at my paperwork, I thought I might have the 98 the previous owner of yours traded in but mine was from Okanagan RV though. You picked a well built unit and came to the place where most of the knowledgeable people are for the Monaco's.

That will be a big hit for following the kids this summer . . . . or hockey games?  and skiing!  Have you looked at the Acura as a toad yet?  That's our biggest issue - get there and not be able to explore. 

Don't forget to subscribe to the Monacoer YouTube site.  What a treasure trove that is!  https://www.youtube.com/@Monacoers-kx1zb   It's new so not much content yet. 

Welcome to Monacoers!

- bob

Welcome to the very BEST Monaco website you will ever find on the Internet.

You have chosen a great coach. I owned my 2002 Windsor for 18+ years and absolutely loved it. The new owners @Lenny D chose our coach to purchase in April 2022  and have stated it has been their very best decision and love the coach also.

I wasn't planning on selling the Windsor however, after driving and going through a 2006 Monaco Dynasty, I was hooked. Then after looking at many 2006 Dynasty's that needed MORE work than my Windsor, I decided that it was a lost cause until this one came up on the Internet in Salt Lake City. Well, the rest is history!

The DiPiano's are ecstatic with their purchase and the Smith's are as well with their Dynasty.

Guest Ray Davis

Greg, excellent 1st post I enjoyed it.  Wife is wise and a keeper.  No telling how many of us on here followed a similar path getting here.                                                  Congratulations, an 02 Windsor is about as solid as they come, it's a great choice.                                                                                                                                            I don't know how you found us here at Monacoers but for sure this is the place                                                                                                                                                Welcome

Welcome Greg. 

I was a lurker reading this site to reassure me about buying our coach.  Since we purchased in January of 2020 the site is invaluable.  Great source of information helping to preserve our great  coaches from extinction.  

Good looking coach. I’ll throw my 2 cents in there about toads. Ford has a new Maverick truck that you can flat tow. I ordered one last September and picked it up May 20 so far we love it and oh by the way $27k out the door.

50752DE7-F52C-473D-AA12-FB822F0F9246.jpeg

• Like 1

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2002 Windsor - New owner saying Hello
13 hours ago, Donflem said:

Good looking coach. I’ll throw my 2 cents in there about toads. Ford has a new Maverick truck that you can flat tow. I ordered one last September and picked it up May 20 so far we love it and oh by the way $27k out the door.

50752DE7-F52C-473D-AA12-FB822F0F9246.jpeg

I like it DON but DW says I can only get a new TOAD if I get a 4X4.  That Hybrid looks like it is only available as a TWO WHEEL DRIVE.  Can you comment?

54 minutes ago, TomV48 said:

I like it DON but DW says I can only get a new TOAD if I get a 4X4.  That Hybrid looks like it is only available as a TWO WHEEL DRIVE.  Can you comment?

Dunno about the Maverick but we just picked up a 21 4-Runner TRD Off Road Premium.  Of course Toyota says it can't be flat towed (liability?) but all the elements are there to do it.  This model is a true 4x4 (not AWD) with a MANUAL transaxle where we can put the entire drivetrain into a freewheeling neutral at the transaxle.  The steering is unlocked in this mode.  The truck doesn't like not knowing where the key is so it's beeping the entire time.  We haven't toaded it yet but believe it can be done.  Not cheap but the 4-Runner is a nice driver. 

- bob

6 hours ago, cbr046 said:

Dunno about the Maverick but we just picked up a 21 4-Runner TRD Off Road Premium.  Of course Toyota says it can't be flat towed (liability?) but all the elements are there to do it.  This model is a true 4x4 (not AWD) with a MANUAL transaxle where we can put the entire drivetrain into a freewheeling neutral at the transaxle.  The steering is unlocked in this mode.  The truck doesn't like not knowing where the key is so it's beeping the entire time.  We haven't toaded it yet but believe it can be done.  Not cheap but the 4-Runner is a nice driver. 

- bob

Bob - please update us, in separate post, how it is working out for you. I am very surprised to hear that Toyota product can be flat towed.  And interested. 

10 hours ago, Verde_Windsor said:

Bob - please update us, in separate post, how it is working out for you. I am very surprised to hear that Toyota product can be flat towed.  And interested. 

Well sadly I broke my foot on Tuesday so it backs everything up . . . . I'm seeing a surgeon on Monday so guessing 3 months on my butt.  - broke 3 metatarsals, one in 3 places. 

We also bought a manual shift Mini with the same idea.  I seem to recall no steering lock making it e-z to flat tow.  One concern was getting the tow bar low enough to be horizontal without dragging at driveways, etc.  It's not a 4x4 but does have other redeeming qualities 🙂 

- bob

In regards to flat towing against manufacturer's instruction, I would check whether the output shaft's bearings get oiled without transmission running. I have a jeep that has all the obvious parts but the shafts don't get oil when in neutral so I have to work around it.

Hi Greg & Maria, welcome! I’ve been RV’ing since ‘02, with my wife since ‘06. Our toad is a 2008 Jeep JKU and it’s great as both my DD & toad. While our ‘05 LaPalma 37PST is a on a Workhorse chassis & has a gas engine, it still shares similarities to the DPs, so you might see me chime in with an answer or two from time to time. There are a ton of knowledgeable folks on the site; without them, I’d have been lost in the sauce with wiring. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, these guys are veritable pros.