Would you “upgrade” to an American Coach?

We’re considering selling our beloved Dynasty and purchasing an AC Eagle or Dream 2016-2018 vintage. This is primarily due to the DW wanting a more modern decor. I’m reluctant to do this since I love my Dynasty and know her so well. Plus I’ve seen some rather negative reports on AC/Rev Group quality. We really like the full wall slide, bath and a half, and decor of the AC. I’d like to keep doing the full time life style and need the DW happy to do so. 

Has anyone else considered buying an AC and have any thoughts on quality?

1 hour ago, DavidL said:

If you like your RV size and floorplan...why not just do a facelift like you would in your sticks and bricks?

We’re considering that. We do like our floor plan. We are debating replacing carpet, kitchen backsplash, and valances.  My fear is this won’t satisfy her. 

27 minutes ago, Frank Bergamo said:

Have a friend who has one, nothing but problems. Build quality is lacking compared to a Monaco. Charging system problems, full wall slide problems, toilet problems. The list just goes on and on. Don’t know about you, but I will keep my Monaco!

I’m leaning that way, but one does have to keep the DW happy. 

Like a certain orifice where solid wastes are expelled….we all have such….and we all have an opinion.

NO.  The American Eagles never were Monaco quality.  I know folks in the late 2000’s (07, 08 & 09) that traded UP to Dynasty and Executives….and were amazed at the differences.  

I know an ex HR dealer, General Manager is a good friend, who bought a new unit every year….swapped between the Imperial and Navagator and he parted ways with Monaco after his lawsuit to recover unpaid warranty claims….as did Lazy Days.  He sold Newmars and “wished” he had a Navagator.  His techs said the same thing….not built or assembled or designed near as well or “not in the same league”.

I would not want to own a full wall slide.  The Dynasty in 2007 had one.  Had to help a buddy.  The separate hydraulic unit was a PITA.  Many reports on slide topper and leaks and overall dissatisfaction with the fit and function and sealing of them.

If I couldn’t swing a Foertravel, I’d stick with what I have and let some shop redo the insides so my DW was happy.

There is an old saying around most gun clubs that have a nice skeet range and some great as well as many NO SO great shooters.  The average person (male or some females) will have higher scores with a 20 gauge autoloader….a fact that myself and some other, slightly above average shooters can attest to.  BUT we get the hankering to have one of the PROFESSIONAL (high $$) 12 Gauge shotguns….spend big bucks.  We eventually come back….and the 12 gauge stays in the safe or is traded.  Your Monaco is a PRIZED 20 gauge….a fancier 12 gauge , not near the quality, looks nice….OR wanting  a hot date with a voluptuous blonde, rather than a nice brunette with a wonderful personality and loves to cook and “do other things”.  Most times, they go back to the brunette and are much happier…. And often marry that lady….

That’s my take….

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Frank Bergamo said:

Have a friend who has one, nothing but problems. Build quality is lacking compared to a Monaco. Charging system problems, full wall slide problems, toilet problems. The list just goes on and on. Don’t know about you, but I will keep my Monaco!

Yep. I would take a Marquis over a AE any day, or a Marquis over a Signature. The Beaver line is a real sleeper. 

I was faced with the same issues a few years ago.  To upgrade our current coach or look for a newer more modern coach.  We looked around, but did not find anything that came close to the quality of our Monaco built Beaver.  I was not impressed with anything from the REV group.  Nor would I consider anything from Thor or Forest River.  We updated our old Beaver and have been very happy with the result.  We do have to keep our significant others happy, but I would certainly be hesitant to trade off what is a known good quality coach for a pig in a poke.

Just my 2 cents.

Richard

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, hex_nut said:

I was faced with the same issues a few years ago.  To upgrade our current coach or look for a newer more modern coach.  We looked around, but did not find anything that came close to the quality of our Monaco built Beaver.  I was not impressed with anything from the REV group.  Nor would I consider anything from Thor or Forest River.  We updated our old Beaver and have been very happy with the result.  We do have to keep our significant others happy, but I would certainly be hesitant to trade off what is a known good quality coach for a pig in a poke.

Just my 2 cents.

Richard

I know we’re biased toward our Monaco coach’s.  I never intended to trade, but the DW has started voicing a desire for a newer coach.

Hesitant is a good word to describe my feelings. I know my Monaco is good and we’re preparing to winter in southern CA from MI.  I have no concerns it will make it there and back without incident.  

I have to say I was impressed with the 2016 Eagle we looked at. It was beautiful inside and looked to be high quality throughout. I noticed the front door was way more solid and better designed than my Monaco. The exterior finish looked very good. However the basement wasn’t as tall as mine. I didn’t spend a lot time inspected it, as we were just looking. 

Edited by Pduggs

Wouldn’t consider trading the overall quality of a Monaco for any AE coach as an upgrade.

Would do a total interior upgrade to please the DW first. Especially when you are considering purchasing a preowned coach and you have no idea what all maybe wrong with it and like you said, you know your Dynasty.

Just mho since I’ve owned 4 Monaco Signatures including the 2005 45’ I currently own and love.

• Like 2

I'm definitely with the majority here.
You have a known good coach.  No way would I trade it for another brand that's not a known higher quality coach.

I told my wife early on in our relationship, "If we disagree, and I'm being REALLY STUBBORN about something, it means I've been there and I know what I'm talking about."
Fortunately, she takes my advice more often than not. 🙂

Edited by dl_racing427
  • Like 4

You may want to explore an interior remodel. My DW and I no longer liked the carpet, tile or original furniture in our 2005 Diplomat. For a fraction of what it would have cost to trade up, we had Dave & LJ's in Woodland, WA install new LVT throughout with carpet on the slide and in bedroom. When the old sofa bed and recliner came out, DW said, "don't put those back in." We are very happy with the new look and the comfortable supple sofa and swivel recliners. 

Yes, it is not a Dynasty or Beaver, but we like what we have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The coach you have is far better in Quality and components Than any of the current production coaches built today.

We spent three years researching for a coach to replace my 05 Monaco Exec. We narrowed it down to four manufacturers; Entegra Cornerstone, Newmar Essex/King Air, Tiffin and Foretravel. We looked at all the models at the Tampa Super Show other than the Foretravel, none of the others came close to the quality of the 05 Exec.

In our research, everyone we contacted about Foretravel had nothing but praise for the quality of the coach and the service from Foretravel.

My BIL just took delivery of a 2024 Entegra Cornerstone and another good friend took delivery of and Entegra Anthem. Both coaches have multiple issues with fit and finish and issued with electronics. My BIL is stall waiting after six weeks for the manual for his coach.

Purchasing the Foretravel ih-45 has been a very good experience and we have not been disappointed with the coach or the factory support after six years of ownership

If you are looking for a great replacement look into a Foretravel. Any year including the older Foretravels are great coaches

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think I would start by having her read these responses.

I have a friend with a nice 2014 American Revolution. I have driven it, stayed in it overnight a few times, and I like it,  but I don't think I would trade it for my 06 Dynasty. 

If your paint is in good shape and you like the colors a serious interior remodel might be worth looking into? 

• Like 1

The only coaches I'd consider to replace my old 1993 Dynasty would be another Monaco, or a Prevost, MCI or similar conversion.
The Roadmaster chassis is just that much stronger and safer than any of the rest. 

It's a shame the tooling was destroyed when Monaco corporation dissolved. SMH

• Like 1