Getting older sucks.

I was getting the coach ready to take the wife and kids for a test drive following some substantial exhaust/turbo repairs and it was quite hot inside so I decided to cool it down with the rooftop units since my dash A/C is out.  
The generator fired right up, blew a bit of white smoke for 10 seconds as usual and I heard the transfer relay kick in but no A/C units started up and I had them set to cool and the temperature was set quite low on them.
I checked the status of the Intellitec remote display and it was completely dead.  Panick started to set in. 
I opened the front to check the generator breakers, both were on.  Checked for power at the transfer switch, 120V on both legs.  
Now I’m inside the coach sweating with both panels off checking everything over.  I had the 12V on pin 2 when running on generator, no obvious fried board sections anywhere, everything seemed to be checking out and I was almost ready to admit defeat as I was googling M&M Electronics when I thought it was getting too dark inside to see properly. 
Turn the lights on, nothing.  More panick set in.    
That’s when it dawned on me. 
Stupid me had the salesman switch off.  Turned it on and the A/Cs started right up as did the lights.   
Feel like a dummy, but sometimes it’s the simplest things that get overlooked.  
I thought I was in for more repairs.   😅

Thanks for reading, hope you got a laugh at my expense. 

Edited by BradHend
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

I hit mine accidentally last year working on the coach, everything was dead in the coach, I’m like, “oh great, now what!!!!”

Don’t know how old you are but just wait, it gets better, I guarantee it!

😂😂

Edited by Jdw12345
  • Like 1

Bypassed the one in the Windsor after getting up at 3 am to pee and the toilet wouldn't work nor the bathroom light. Never ever have to worry about it. The one in our Dynasty is in a location that is very unlikely to get accidently turned off.

My older sister always told me, "getting old is not for sissies".

Edited by Dr4Film

1 hour ago, BradHend said:

I was getting the coach ready to take the wife and kids for a test drive following some substantial exhaust/turbo repairs and it was quite hot inside so I decided to cool it down with the rooftop units since my dash A/C is out.  
The generator fired right up, blew a bit of white smoke for 10 seconds as usual and I heard the transfer relay kick in but no A/C units started up and I had them set to cool and the temperature was set quite low on them.
I checked the status of the Intellitec remote display and it was completely dead.  Panick started to set in. 
I opened the front to check the generator breakers, both were on.  Checked for power at the transfer switch, 120V on both legs.  
Now I’m inside the coach sweating with both panels off checking everything over.  I had the 12V on pin 2 when running on generator, no obvious fried board sections anywhere, everything seemed to be checking out and I was almost ready to admit defeat as I was googling M&M Electronics when I thought it was getting too dark inside to see properly. 
Stupid me had the salesman switch off.  Turned it on and the A/Cs started right up as did the lights.   

You are not the first to do this.  Glad you figured it out

I too own that T shirt and I'm an electronic tech, should have known better. My solenoid is rusting in some landfill now too. Just too much risk for the AC's not running if the fur babies bump the switch. 

However, a couple of weeks ago my EMS panel went blank. Everything seemed to be working ok so I thought maybe I had dimmed it somehow. No such luck.

Then on to the testing of the Me2012 to see if it was charging which it was and was operable manually after reading the manual for the umteenth time in my life and giving some inspiration on its function. But I was second guessing myself about the status of the communications cable, display unit, and perhaps a bad board in the Me2012.

Tossing parts at something is not what I recommend unless I have a spare and it is as easy to change as this one is. But, biting the big bullet and the wonders of Amazon I had a new one in two days.

Holding my breath and perhaps squinting a bit as I plugged it in the relief came as the new one sprung to life. 

At least it works again, I was not out of AC or charging, and I now have a spare communications cable if ever needed to troubleshoot again. Inspecting the old display unit showed no signs of solder problems so it just gave up the ghost. 

Now for that darn intermittent 5 button thermostat. One zone goes blank, not dead, but blank and the AC just blows warm air then. Yes it is probably time to upgrade to the digital one but I would like to know if it is the thermostat or the AC unit. Maybe someone here has an old one to sell so at least I could give that a run for awhile. Although, the thought of the new wi fi one sounds nice.

Cheers, glad you got it fixed. If it doesn't work, read the book, But But I used to say to my teacher, And then he would say, if it still doesn't work afer reading the book, "follow it". The man was a genius for sure. 

The witch by the front door is a terrible spot. My kids hit it often and it has become my goto fix for a lot of issues. <-- That's just sad.

Just now, nvrtoofast said:

The witch by the front door is a terrible spot. My kids hit it often and it has become my goto fix for a lot of issues. <-- That's just sad.

Witch was not intended but it suits that thing.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, myrontruex said:

I too own that T shirt and I'm an electronic tech, should have known better. My solenoid is rusting in some landfill now too. Just too much risk for the AC's not running if the fur babies bump the switch. 

However, a couple of weeks ago my EMS panel went blank. Everything seemed to be working ok so I thought maybe I had dimmed it somehow. No such luck.

Then on to the testing of the Me2012 to see if it was charging which it was and was operable manually after reading the manual for the umteenth time in my life and giving some inspiration on its function. But I was second guessing myself about the status of the communications cable, display unit, and perhaps a bad board in the Me2012.

Tossing parts at something is not what I recommend unless I have a spare and it is as easy to change as this one is. But, biting the big bullet and the wonders of Amazon I had a new one in two days.

Holding my breath and perhaps squinting a bit as I plugged it in the relief came as the new one sprung to life. 

At least it works again, I was not out of AC or charging, and I now have a spare communications cable if ever needed to troubleshoot again. Inspecting the old display unit showed no signs of solder problems so it just gave up the ghost. 

Now for that darn intermittent 5 button thermostat. One zone goes blank, not dead, but blank and the AC just blows warm air then. Yes it is probably time to upgrade to the digital one but I would like to know if it is the thermostat or the AC unit. Maybe someone here has an old one to sell so at least I could give that a run for awhile. Although, the thought of the new wi fi one sounds nice.

Cheers, glad you got it fixed. If it doesn't work, read the book, But But I used to say to my teacher, And then he would say, if it still doesn't work afer reading the book, "follow it". The man was a genius for sure. 

Curiosity….did you mean the Inverter Remote or the Intellitec EMS?  If you remove the 3 amp fuse on the EMS board (inside fhe main 50A panel), that resets the EMS.  Conversely, if you still have a Salesman Solenoid in the “use the front door switch” mode or not bypassed…turning off the solenoid for a few minutes will do the same thing.  Based on other folks issues with the Intellitec EMS Remote….it is DUMB.  It is only displaying what is going on.  It is also a one trick pony.  It toggles between 30 and 20 Amps…so, when you use an adapter, is assumes, by default, it is, 30…but you can only change that one function…

Tom, as I recall it is the RC50 unit with the knob. Dead as a hammer. Tried all of the reset functions. Removed all power from the whole coach and batteries. 

The new one fired right up, or should I say, lit up. It has the inverter and charger button on it and the knob for programming. 

I'm guessing it uses two wires of the control cable for power and the other two for data. I tried cleaning the contacts etc. Keep in mind I am an electronic tech and own a repair shop so most things don't get by me. But some times I am dumb as a rock. I have a rule, if you can't fix it or diagnose it in two hours, then you have to consult with me or one of our other techs. Can't see the forest for the trees sometimes and another set of eyes is so helpful. This forum is that other set of eyes and thanks for clarifying the reset because someone else may come along doing a search. The reset thing seems to catch someone a few times a year on the forums. 

We live in the lightening capital of the world and power surges are normal and no amount of protection is ever enough here. Owning this complex monster is job security for sure. 

On 8/23/2023 at 8:34 PM, BradHend said:

Did the same thing last trip out. Couldn't figure it out,  realized someone traveling with us in the group of 6 must have hit it going down the stairs!

Interested to hear about the repair results on the ISB too!

• Like 1

I did that a couple months ago. Several years ago I was taking off on a trip, fired up the genny, it ran great but no power. After half an hour of troubleshooting I went back outside to the generator and realized I had inadvertently hit the breaker switch while cleaning the genny a couple weeks prior. I wanted to kick my own azz over that one.

• Like 2

@Agpopp Repairs are complete now.  New manifold, reman Holset VGT turbo, reman EGR valve and all new oil and coolant lines to  the turbo.  New rad hoses all around including the back to back metal 90 degree piece that I had made.  
Everything else I broke in the process as well (oil pressure sending unit, the 2 black metal coolant lines that feed the EGR cooler, the pipe that mates the EGR valve to the EGR cooler etc. etc.)

Did it all in my driveway.  Huge pain but I got it done. Learned a lot and did lots of reading. Made a few mistakes along the way, but realized them and corrected.  
I think it was 7 of the 12 manifold bolts had snapped on removal, 3 of which I was able to weld a nut on and turn them out, the rest unfortunately I drilled out. I ended up helicoiling 4 holes, 2 needed it and 2 I had to as the threads were stripped.  
Used RemFlex gaskets at the manifold and turbo connections.  Replaced all the banjo bolts, sealing washers and V-band clamps on that side of the engine.  Replaced all the Breeze spring loaded clamps for all the CAC lines. 
The few test drives I’ve done appear to be a success.  No more smoke, exhaust brake is nice and strong, lots of power on acceleration and it’s generating about 29lbs of boost with the hammer down and climbing small hills is not an issue anymore.  
Taking it up Tobermory way this weekend, hope all goes well.  
Thanks for your interest! 
IMG_1275.thumb.jpeg.69ce39def28a08ee3835487a7e50207e.jpeg

IMG_1329.jpeg

IMG_1328.jpeg

Edited by BradHend
Added a couple more pictures.
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, BradHend said:

@Agpopp Repairs are complete now.  New manifold, reman Holset VGT turbo, reman EGR valve and all new oil and coolant lines to  the turbo.  New rad hoses all around including the back to back metal 90 degree piece that I had made.  
Everything else I broke in the process as well (oil pressure sending unit, the 2 black metal coolant lines that feed the EGR cooler, the pipe that mates the EGR valve to the EGR cooler etc. etc.)

Did it all in my driveway.  Huge pain but I got it done. Learned a lot and did lots of reading. Made a few mistakes along the way, but realized them and corrected.  
I think it was 7 of the 12 manifold bolts had snapped on removal, 3 of which I was able to weld a nut on and turn them out, the rest unfortunately I drilled out. I ended up helicoiling 4 holes, 2 needed it and 2 I had to as the threads were stripped.  
Used RemFlex gaskets at the manifold and turbo connections.  Replaced all the banjo bolts, sealing washers and V-band clamps on that side of the engine.  Replaced all the Breeze spring loaded clamps for all the CAC lines. 
The few test drives I’ve done appear to be a success.  No more smoke, exhaust brake is nice and strong, lots of power on acceleration and it’s generating about 29lbs of boost with the hammer down and climbing small hills is not an issue anymore.  

IMG_1329.jpeg

IMG_1328.jpeg

What’s up with the white plastic zip ties and split rubber hose sleeve in second picture?

The engine lifting hook is there. The original hose was almost wore right through from rubbing on it. I just doubled it up with a leftover piece for extra protection. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Pduggs said:

Won’t the plastic ties melt?

Perhaps, there were originally zip ties holding other things along coolant lines prior and they held up.  If they fail I will use stainless zip ties or a band clamp maybe.  Main thing was to reduce damage to the fitting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BradHend said:

IMG_1329.jpeg

IMG_1328.jpeg

That's a lot of new Cummins parts! Hope you saved some money for fuel! 

Well done....I know how hard that is to work on.

• Like 2

Guest Ray Davis

Yes sir, Brad deserves a big round of applause    👏    1st for taking on a difficult job and 2nd for letting us watch.

Good job Brad thanks