possible brake fade

2004 endeavor rr8r .The pedal is hard when applied and it seems to brake ok but as you get closer to a halt the brakes seem like they do not have the grip or stopping power.It can get harrier if it is a quick stop and has caught me off guard a few times and i feel like i am not going to stop in time.The coach was one owner with 32000 miles when i bought it and is was wondering if the shoes were glased but i have put quite a few miles on it since i bought it,has anyone have any idea what i need to check before i do not stop in time Thanks in advance

I would check or have checked the adjusters, if they were not maintained and don't auto adjust, you may be running out of stroke. You probably checked for air leaks with brakes engaged but there is more to them other than the shoes. There are procedures specific to your brake make but general DOT stroke measurements apply and you can find them on YouTube or in manuals. If you are not comfortable under the rig, have it checked by a truck shop. Sounds serious and you will feel safer.

• Like 4

From the HR sales brochure.  Drum brakes.  In the interest of your safety, I would find a trustworthy OTR SHOP.  Let them inspect the brakes, the slack adjusters, the condition of the shoes and RUN A THOROUGH AIR TEST.  There is a DOT standard for this.  This is NOTHING that needs to be done at an RV repair shop. Most don’t touch chassis items.

I personally think the ability to stop a 15 PLUS ton behemoth like ours is more critical than being able to accelerate.

BTW….Unless I am mistaken, the rear brakes start to kick in first….as you depress the pedal, then the fronts come in to assist.  Rusted or frozen rear slack adjusters is a common issue….the brakes are probably Bendix and that is the defacto standard, so any good truck shop knows what to do.

Unless you have the skills and experience for OTR braking systems, I’d leave it to a pro….

IMG_1042.png

How many miles have you put on it.

I'd recommend taking it to a good truck shop for an inspection, they can look at the slack adjusters that Ivan recommended.  I wouldn't think you need new pads or drums with that low of miles but they'll try and sell the whole kit and kabutle if they think you don't know anything.  Take the time to do some research, try and finds some videos on how to check slack adjusters.  Learn and use the buzz words when you go to the shop, it might be enough for them to not take advantage of you. 

FWIW I have +125K miles on mine and have plenty of meat left on the front and rear shoes.  I use my exhaust brake religiously. 

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, bonfield said:

2004 endeavor rr8r .The pedal is hard when applied and it seems to brake ok but as you get closer to a halt the brakes seem like they do not have the grip or stopping power.It can get harrier if it is a quick stop and has caught me off guard a few times and i feel like i am not going to stop in time.The coach was one owner with 32000 miles when i bought it and is was wondering if the shoes were glased but i have put quite a few miles on it since i bought it,has anyone have any idea what i need to check before i do not stop in time Thanks in advance

This sure sounds like a classic case of the slack adjusters not set correctly and the brake chamber travel distance is too long.  Those who drive a vehicle with air brakes should know how to measure if your brake slack adjusters are set properly and if your auto slack adjusters are working.  If you don't know how to measure the travel distance of the air brake chambers with the brakes applied, take your coach to an OTR truck shop for a brake safety inspection.

When your brake drums get hot, the diameter on the drum increases.  If your travel distance for the air brake chamber is too far, you run out of capacity for the S cam to keep the brakes against the drum.

For automatic slack adjusters, DO NOT use grease containing moly.  This grease is too slippery and the auto slack adjusters might not self adjust properly.

Also, periodically it's a good idea while stopped AND the parking brake released to have a few full brake applications to set the auto slack adjusters.

• Like 2

Making adjustments to Automatic Slack Adjusters isn't a job for non qualified people!

When was the last time the system was greased?

I would follow Frank's advice, parking brake off, half a dozen hard presses on the pedal, and quickly removing your foot.

Then follow Roy's advice. Get it out on a deserted road with everything inside stowed away well. Then a few hard stops, when safe to do so!

47 minutes ago, bonfield said:

Can anyone point me in the right direction or possible liink to adjusting the brakes on this chassis and or checking them

To get an idea, search YouTube for 'adjusting slack adjusters'. Plenty of hits to see what's involved besides knowing the type and stroke length of your brake canisters. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 2:36 PM, bonfield said:

Can anyone point me in the right direction or possible liink to adjusting the brakes on this chassis and or checking them

We have about 20 service manuals in our download files section covering everything that you want to know in terms of how the braking systems work, how to test to be sure they are operating safely including how to test and adjust the auto slack adjusters.  There's a lot to learn and understand before reaching a diagnostic conclusion that the slack adjusts are the real issue.  After reading and understanding this material, if you have any questions then it's best to take your coach to a qualified repair shop for a proper diagnosis and repair.

BTW, are your brake linings near the end of their service life?  The service manuals will tell you how to check.

2 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

We have about 20 service manuals in our download files section covering everything that you want to know in terms of how the braking systems work, how to test to be sure they are operating safely including how to test and adjust the auto slack adjusters.  There's a lot to learn and understand before reaching a diagnostic conclusion that the slack adjusts are the real issue.  After reading and understanding this material, if you have any questions then it's best to take your coach to a qualified repair shop for a proper diagnosis and repair.

BTW, are your brake linings near the end of their service life?  The service manuals will tell you how to check.

• Like 2