New TPMS wanted

Is there a system that will let you isolate and monitor a single tire?  I have the EEZ system now which has been OK.  But, I have recently on this trip had 3 valve extension hoses go bad.  When one went bad I needed to watch how quickly I was losing air.  The EEZ system rolls through all 12 tires one at a time.  Not good.  I wanted to know in real time what was going on with the one tire that was losing air.  Is there a system that lets you isolate a tire or tires instead of "rolling" through all the tires?  

Last mobile tire guy that came out really opened my eyes to the extenders and how they can cause problems.  He showed my how they destroy Schrader valves, the rubber tube inside the braided lines are cheap and useless.  Yes, it's real pain without the extenders, but so is sitting on the side of the road waiting on the mobile tire guy to show up.  The last extender that went bad was on one of the inside dually's.  Removing that extender was just a ton of fun trying to get my hands between the tires.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

Good luck trying to find a TPMS that does exactly what you are wanting it to.

In regards to the extenders, I have posted numerous times on the old Yahoo Monacoers site and here about getting rid of any and all extenders as they are an accident waiting to happen.

Single piece stems from Borg are the only stems I will allow to be used on the wheels on my coach. They have been there ever since 2010. I only had one problem with one of the inside dual wheels which was the stem was not made correctly and it allowed for the Dyna Beads to get lodged inside the stem. I made Borg aware of the problem and they gave me a brand new one to replace the defective one which solved the problem.

The important fact is that I have never had to deal with any leaks, etc.

I purchased a set for the front wheels and a dually set for the rear wheels which came with the special donuts to stabilize the long inside stem as it makes its way through the outside dual wheel.

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/manufacturer/38/borg-equipment

It's best to call them directly to make sure you are ordering the correct parts for your wheels. Since I was in Southern California at the time, they were right down the street from where I was staying.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Thanks 1

I bought a TST507 system. 

You might be able to trick into monitoring the tire you want by raising the low pressure tire alarm to just below you are running, then when you tire gets to that level the TST507 displays that tire continuously until you turn the alarm off.  

Found this out by having a high temp alarm go off on a tire after descending a long steep grade and my front tire temps hit the alarm and it kept showing that tire until I could get to a place and shut it off. 

4 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

In regards to the extenders, I have posted numerous times on the old Yahoo Monacoers site and here about getting rid of any and all extenders as they are an accisent waiting to happen.

Single piece stems from Borg are the only stems I will allow to be used on the wheels on my coach. They have been there ever since 2010. I only had one problem with one of the inside dual wheels which was the stem was not made correctly and it allowed for the Dyna Beads to get lodged inside the stem. I made Borg aware of the problem and they gave me a brand new one to replace the defective one which solved the problem.

I purchased a set for the front wheels and a dually set for the rear wheels which came with the special donuts to stabilize the long inside stem as it makes its way through the outside dual wheel.

It's best to call them directly to make sure you are ordering the correct parts for your wheels. Since I was in Southern California at the time, they were right down the street from where I was staying.

+1 on that. 

I recall seeing your post about his a while back and ordered a set from the same place with the Monaco-D-shape rubber plugs.  I had the set in my bay for a short time when one of my braided extensions started leaking and had a mobile tire guy change them all out.  

There are several TPMS systems that will monitor each tire individually. I have one from Amazon that is solar powered and sits on my dash and it has all 6 tire pressures shown at the same time. If any individual tire alarms for low pressure or high temperature I can see immediately which tire it is. I'm actually looking at one now that will show all 6 tires on the RV and the 4 tires on my toad.

The system I got is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HMZZFRF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

17 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

In regards to the extenders, I have posted numerous times on the old Yahoo Monacoers site and here about getting rid of any and all extenders as they are an accident waiting to happen.

I need a couple for two of my hand holds. I assume you just give them your wheel model number stamped on the wheel, in my case Accuride? 

Where in the world are you getting $700 for Borg Stems?

The price for these stems hasn't gone up THAT much in 11 years!

They should be less than $150. However I put Borg chrome stems on my front wheels too. Easy to put the Cap TPMS Sensors on without being a contortionist.

Edited by Dr4Film

16 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

They should be less than $150. However I put Borg chrome stems on my front wheels too. Easy to put the Cap TPMS Sensors on without being a contortionist.

16 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Went to the web site.  Saw stems in the range of $138-180 (that's each, right? ), rubber donuts about $30.  1 hour each to install @ $120. At the mentioned $150 per stem, that's still $600.  If I were even thinking if doing it myself, I'd have to buy jackstands, air tools, etc.  That's how I added it up anyway...

Steven P,

You are WAY off base on your Internet shopping and comprehension of the Borg web site. Maybe you should consider calling them directly to get the REAL price instead of posting bogus information.

I went to their web site and easily found the Borg Dually Stem Kits for Monaco motorhomes which are being sold for $140. Plus the custom bent & sized stems for the front wheels are less than $15 each. So for less than $170 plus shipping you can have these at your door step. That's a SIGNIFICANT difference than the $700 you are complaining about!

Plus I had my stems installed by the local tire company that were installing new tires & Dyna Balancing Beads so the charge was minimal. I don't own stands, jacks, air tools, etc. and anything else needed to work on tires and don't plan to. That's what my CC is for.

In regards to the TPMS there are a few excellent reliable brands on the market, Pressure Pro, TST, Tire SafeGuard come to mind. They can be had for about $700 or less depending on how many wheels you need to monitor. Or you can run without a TPMS and end up paying a lot more than $700 on the side of the road for one tire let alone two if it's the rear. Totally up to you, as the Quaker State Oil ad used to say on TV, "Pay me now or Pay me later"!

Your money, your coach, your choice!

The experienced long term members here have "been there and done that". We give out free advice based on our experiences. After that it's up to the other members to do what they want.

• Like 1

My question was "Do I have this right?".  Obviously I didn't.  Thanks for the clarification.  I wasn't griping about the cost... I'm used to spending money, as my DW will attest.  So please ratchet back the comments about "posting bogus information".  I will call Borg this week during business hours and get a price.  And report back here.  I do appreciate all the personal experience, yours and others, offered on this site!  It helps me keep this beast in great condition and running safely.  I still have a lot to learn as an 18 month owner. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 11:27 AM, woodylmiller said:

Is there a system that will let you isolate and monitor a single tire?  I have the EEZ system now which has been OK.  But, I have recently on this trip had 3 valve extension hoses go bad.  When one went bad I needed to watch how quickly I was losing air.  The EEZ system rolls through all 12 tires one at a time.  Not good.  I wanted to know in real time what was going on with the one tire that was losing air.  Is there a system that lets you isolate a tire or tires instead of "rolling" through all the tires?  

Last mobile tire guy that came out really opened my eyes to the extenders and how they can cause problems.  He showed my how they destroy Schrader valves, the rubber tube inside the braided lines are cheap and useless.  Yes, it's real pain without the extenders, but so is sitting on the side of the road waiting on the mobile tire guy to show up.  The last extender that went bad was on one of the inside dually's.  Removing that extender was just a ton of fun trying to get my hands between the tires.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

Woody,

I agree with Dr4Film.

I had been leery of the rubber hoses with stainless armor. There it too much chance that they will rub on the wheel openings and damage the braid and hose until it fails. Last summer I had those replaced with solid extensions from the same source (tireshopsupply.com) as he. The only downside is that they have to be installed by a tire shop or an extraordinarily well equipped home shop. I have no interest in learning how to remove the wheels and unmount the tires for the installation.

The inner wheels have much longer extensions that the outers or steer axle wheels and have to be stabilized to prevent interference or fatigue. That is done by placing plastic or rubber devices that snap into the holes in the outside wheels and support the stem of the extension. 

They have performed flawlessly and pass air more easily than the old extension hoses.

Roger Smalley 2006 HR Endeavor

50 minutes ago, Roger S said:

Woody,

I agree with Dr4Film.

I had been leery of the rubber hoses with stainless armor. There it too much chance that they will rub on the wheel openings and damage the braid and hose until it fails. Last summer I had those replaced with solid extensions from the same source (tireshopsupply.com) as he. The only downside is that they have to be installed by a tire shop or an extraordinarily well equipped home shop. I have no interest in learning how to remove the wheels and unmount the tires for the installation.

The inner wheels have much longer extensions that the outers or steer axle wheels and have to be stabilized to prevent interference or fatigue. That is done by placing plastic or rubber devices that snap into the holes in the outside wheels and support the stem of the extension. 

They have performed flawlessly and pass air more easily than the old extension hoses.

Roger Smalley 2006 HR Endeavor

Roger - I am getting ready to do what you described.  Thank you for your explanation!   One question:  will the wheels and tires need rebalancing after the installation of the new stems and donuts?   It seems like they would, but I thought I'd ask to be sure.  

Thanks - Steve P

Balancing is a personal choice. Some say you don't need to balance rear duallies ever. I don't agree with that!

Then there are multiple methods for balancing RV tires. Those are - Static, off-coach Dynamic Spin, on-coach Dynamic Spin, Dyna Beads, Powder such as Equal or Counteract (stay away from these), BB's, Balance Masters & Centramatics.

I have used Dyna Beads in the past as they constantly keep the tire/wheel balanced regardless of mud & debris on the tire, plus any tire wear and any changes to the tire & wheel. I have since switched to Balance Masters on the rear as a new set of Dyna Beads + shipping were going to cost me about $100 less than the set of Balance Masters installed. When I have the front steers changed out next time I will have the Dyna Beads removed and a set of Balance Master installed on the front.

The Balance Masters have a lifetime warranty and can be transferred to other RV coaches with 22.5 wheels.

Do your due diligence and make your own decision.

Edited by Dr4Film

Steve P,

I have Centramatic balancing rings on the steer axle wheels. They are essentially balancing beads of some sort in an oil-filled tube that mounts between the hub and the wheels. The general opinion seems to be that they are needed only on the front axle, but some have put them on all. The installation couldn’t be easier—remove the wheels, install the Centramatics, and put the wheels back on. 

How well they work is pretty subjective. I have never used balancing beads. I guess I just don’t like the idea of loose objects bouncing around inside the tire. I haven’t noticed any wheel shake since we got them, but couldn’t swear that I ever did.

We replace the tires at the rate of two every two years. The coach had Michelin 275-80R-22.5s when we bought it and we see no need to change. The new tires always go on the front axle, then rotated as a pair to the left rear duallys for two years and subsequently to the right for their two last years. That sequence keeps all of the tires on the coach for six years and rolling in the same direction—a little less that the often used rule of seven years total. Yes, the shop charges to move all six tires to different wheels, but my high school sweetheart of 53 years is definitely worth it. It give us both peace of mind.

Since I’ve already strayed somewhat off-topic, there is one more thing that I think is important to say, and I beg the patience of the moderators. I feel that I must mention the fact that last year we had Tyron bands (www.tyron-USA.com) mounted on the steer axle wheels. I had heard of them at our first annual Ramblin’ Pushers Maintenance Session in 2015. The event is located in the heart of the RV industry at the Elkhart County 4H Fairgrounds. The one-week event features a wide variety of seminars on topics of interest to a set of diesel pusher owners that includes Monaco diesel coach’s and offers on-site service by professionals. For details visit www.ramblinpushers.org for more information. Full Disclosure: I am the VP of the Ramblin’ Pushers and 2022 Maintenance Session Coordinator.

If anyone wants to pursue these topics further, (Centramatic Tyron, and the Ms), let’s start a new thread.

Roger Smalley 2006 HR Endeavor PDQ