Shoreline Power Cord Replacement

You didn't post the brand of your reel however if it is made by Glendinning then here is a link to their replacement power cords.

RV Power Cable (glendinningprods.com)

They have them in lengths of 36, 45 & 50 feet.

Or you could purchase whatever length of SOOW 6-4 cord you want and attach a Male Plug to one end and the other end would attach to your coach.

I just purchased 10 feet from this vendor on eBay for my Progressive Industries EMS-HW-50C installation project.

8/3-8/4 or 6/3-6/4 8 Gauge 6 AWG SOOW Cable Wire Cord Portable Power 600V USA | eBay

Here are two examples of a good RV Male Plug.

Amazon.com: Camco PowerGrip Replacement Plug- Transform your RV Plug into a Safe and Durable PowerGrip Cord 50 AMP (55255) , Yellow : Automotive

Amazon.com: MICTUNING 125 250V 50Amp Heavy Duty RV Replacement Male Plug with Ergonomic Handle Yellow : Automotive

This was discussed at length on the old forum.  I would add the following…

Monaco, to the best of my memory and the experts that we had back then, used a very good grade of cable,  

I am not casting any dispersions on the cord listed, but you should pay careful attention to the markings on your present cord.  We have a cord that has excellent cold weather properties in that if will be flexible when the temperatures dip into the 30’s or so.

I personally would find an RV store, probably CW as they are easier to find, and look at the Camco 55574 extension.  Not to buy, but to get the cable information that is stamped on the side.  I have been using this one from 2009 or so,  I can state that it is as flexible as the OEM Monaco one.

Folks on the old site bought cords on eBay that were a “bargain”.  OPPS.  I did the same.  Ordered a 50 amp cord.  It only had 3 conductors in it.  There was NO L2 HOT. There were three #6 insulated conductors.  I cut off the ends and used it as a Generator cable and added a #10 ground on the exterior.  I salvaged it with a 50 Amp male and a 30 A Generator male.  I backfeed (yes….I am AWARE of the dangers of a 240 VAC MALE END) my emergency generator, which is 33 amps) into a 200 A 240 panel using my 50A RV receptacle.  So just be AWARE….there are many grades of cables.

I WOULD also point bout that we (the group) have had a few (I was one) connector failures.  I barely bumped the Monaco male end and lost the Neutral.  My Progressive HW50C saved me.  Fortunately, I replaced it with the .Camco male end.  

If you make up your OWN new cord, I suggest you order the Dow Corning #4 Electrical Insulating compound from Amazon.  After you triple tighten all the 50 amp male connections, then fill or “pot” the entire cavity of the male plug set with it.  After it cures. You have the equivalent of a molded waterproof end….same as Monaco supplied….

This post was timely. I just replaced my cord last week on my 05. I lost one hot leg in the cord itself so essentially had 30 amps feeding the coach. I wont screw around with power cords. If it is suspect I toss it and buy a new one. The cost is worth the safety factor and knowing my coach wont burn to the ground because of a shorted wire inside a cord.

Many times we see the plug defective in our shop but we also see cords defective as well. I refuse to roll the dice on a plug, cord or suspect ATS. They all live under your bedroom and burning up in a fire is not the way I want to go. Find another way to save money. Skimping and trying to save dollars on electrical components will catch up with you.

Flexability is paramount for me as we usually leave in Dec. with temps under 10 deg.f. Food for thought, be sure plug fits through cord opening in floor of coach with power reel option.

18 minutes ago, GNRACN said:

Flexibility is paramount for me as we usually leave in Dec. with temps under 10 deg.f. Food for thought, be sure plug fits through cord opening in floor of coach with power reel option.

Look for a cord with an "E" in the description stamped on the cord, i.e. "SEOW".  "E" stands for elastomer.  If it has a "T" in the description, it is thermoplastic.  No matter the claims, any cord with "T" in the description will get much stiffer in the cold than one with an "E".  These cords are even more flexible than SOOW.

On 5/8/2022 at 8:34 AM, Tom Cherry said:

This was discussed at length on the old forum.  I would add the following…

Monaco, to the best of my memory and the experts that we had back then, used a very good grade of cable,  

I am not casting any dispersions on the cord listed, but you should pay careful attention to the markings on your present cord.  We have a cord that has excellent cold weather properties in that if will be flexible when the temperatures dip into the 30’s or so.

I personally would find an RV store, probably CW as they are easier to find, and look at the Camco 55574 extension.  Not to buy, but to get the cable information that is stamped on the side.  I have been using this one from 2009 or so,  I can state that it is as flexible as the OEM Monaco one.

Folks on the old site bought cords on eBay that were a “bargain”.  OPPS.  I did the same.  Ordered a 50 amp cord.  It only had 3 conductors in it.  There was NO L2 HOT. There were three #6 insulated conductors.  I cut off the ends and used it as a Generator cable and added a #10 ground on the exterior.  I salvaged it with a 50 Amp male and a 30 A Generator male.  I backfeed (yes….I am AWARE of the dangers of a 240 VAC MALE END) my emergency generator, which is 33 amps) into a 200 A 240 panel using my 50A RV receptacle.  So just be AWARE….there are many grades of cables.

I WOULD also point bout that we (the group) have had a few (I was one) connector failures.  I barely bumped the Monaco male end and lost the Neutral.  My Progressive HW50C saved me.  Fortunately, I replaced it with the .Camco male end.  

If you make up your OWN new cord, I suggest you order the Dow Corning #4 Electrical Insulating compound from Amazon.  After you triple tighten all the 50 amp male connections, then fill or “pot” the entire cavity of the male plug set with it.  After it cures. You have the equivalent of a molded waterproof end….same as Monaco supplied….

Thanks for sharing the great Dow Corning tip. Loosening has always been my concern with big adapters. I didn't know such a substance existed. 

On 5/9/2022 at 6:54 AM, throgmartin said:

They all live under your bedroom and burning up in a fire is not the way I want to go.

After purchasing our Windsor, I smelled an electrical burn odor in the power cord electric reel compartment.  Turns out there was a loose connection inside the electric reel that could not be repaired per design.  My guess is that over time, unwinding and winding, and even unwinding too far (I did that), the connections became loose.

This may be unconventional, but I removed the electric cord reel and put in a junction box and hard wired, lugged, the power cord to the wiring going to the transfer switch.  Fortunately I have plenty of room to store the power cord by snaking it into the compartment.  A little more effort, but a lot more peace of mind.

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Shore Power Cord Reels are a tragedy waiting to happen.  

It is what it is, and we have what Monaco gave us!

Mine is now 15yrs old and hasn't given me a lick of trouble. Since I've owned the coach (9yrs), I've never pulled more out, or retracted any cord with juice flowing, which I think is all you can really do to give these reels a long life.

7 hours ago, Paul Busch said:

Some one posted a link to someone selling replacement gears for the power reel a while ago. I can’t seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know what it was?

thanks

For what it’s worth, my OEM plug had signs of melting. I replaced it with this one. I tried others but found them so cheap, I returned them. This one is very durable but it doesn’t turn 90 degrees. Easy install too. 

FB96AFDB-6D74-4DC0-ABC5-F23F78163C3F.png

Edited by Pduggs