My LP sensor alarm is going off - is there a battery to replace?

CountryB

My LP gas sensor alarm started to beep. One beep about every 30 or 40 seconds.  it is located on the kitchen cabinet baseboard below the gas cook-top. there is no gas leak I can detect. I pushed the reset button and light went green and the beep stopped. I thought that was the end of it - but today it was beeping again. I rest it again. Now what?

I had a similar beep on my smoke detector - which was telling me the battery was low and needed to be replaced.

Does the LP detector have a (backup) battery in it?  It is hard wired to my House batteries.

Or is it just telling me the whole unit needs to be replaced (aged out)? I wouldn't be surprised if there was some detector inside it that thinks I have not spent enough money on the coach lately so it's going off telling me to buy something☺️

is it a "Safe-T-Alert model 40-442-P". 

I recently went through the same thing...  had to replace it.  About $50-ish to get a new one.

Manufacturer says they should be replaced every 5 years.  I didn’t know that - I thought they were good for 10 years - until I read the data sheet that came with the new one.

When they start beeping randomly, they’ve gone south.

12 hours ago, CountryB said:

Okay - I'll order a new one.

Ron, LOL, we have dogs but no one has been in the coach for past month. 

Makes me smile Mike because we once had a dog that could set off the LP alarm by expelling gas!

We have also had to replace the LP detector because it aged out. Seem I also remember replacing the CO2 detector for the same reason.

• 4 weeks later...

While on the topic of possibly replacing an LPG detector, has anyone found an LPG detector that had its own battery instead of being wired to the coach or chassis battery? I boondock quite a bit and I am always looking for ways to reduce the load on the batteries.

6 hours ago, knowknot said:

While on the topic of possibly replacing an LPG detector, has anyone found an LPG detector that had its own battery instead of being wired to the coach or chassis battery? I boondock quite a bit and I am always looking for ways to reduce the load on the batteries.

Not recommended for a number of reasons. Besides, what is the difference between having your LPG detector using power from your on board battery versus a standalone 12 VDC battery? Either one  needs to be charged or changed, just depends on whats more convenient. Plus my guess is that it draws a minuscule amount of power as compared to other non-life threatening items in the coach that could reduce your your parasitic load.

• 2 months later...
On 1/7/2020 at 6:55 AM, CountryB said:

I replaced it with the same make and model. It costs about $50 on Amazon (with next day delivery). 

Job done. Thanks for all the comments and help.

A little late to your party Mike, but I'd encourage you to also replace the CO detector in the bedroom. Both detectors were placed in service at the same time and the life span on both are rated at 5 years. Both should be replaced.....Dennis

• 3 years later...

So... my LP sensor was actually going off... I could hit the reset and it would stop for a while... then start again.  The sensor is dated 2020, so I wonder if it is end of life or is it actually detecting something?  Ok... the really stupid question... do I really need a propane sensor?  Propane is made to smell even in the smallest amounts, so I would think I'd smell it long before there was a sufficient concentration to ignite. 

I had the opposite, the detector was 15 years old, green light and no beeping but would not detect anything when I put an unlit torch to it. I'd say get some fresh air flow to it to see. It might have been already old when installed, who knows if it does not have a date stamp on its back. I would not take a chance without it, especially after seeing some pictures. What if there was a leak and I was outside, still would hear it, our dog would actually try to rip the leash and run away from us 🙂

33 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

So... my LP sensor was actually going off... I could hit the reset and it would stop for a while... then start again.  The sensor is dated 2020, so I wonder if it is end of life or is it actually detecting something?  Ok... the really stupid question... do I really need a propane sensor?  Propane is made to smell even in the smallest amounts, so I would think I'd smell it long before there was a sufficient concentration to ignite. 

MOST of the time, these sensors are powered almost directly so that if you even cut off the battery switches, they stay on.  Pull it out.  There will be two wires if it runs off the MH (house?) system.  YES...if it has a 2020 date...then one would question why.  I have talked to the vendor that made mine.  And sometimes they give up the ghost early...especially if there was an over voltage or a voltage spike.

Amazon sells mine.  

https://www.amazon.com/MTI-Industries-30-442-P-WT-Propane-Alarm/dp/B000AMBHG4/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=RV+propane+detector&qid=1682792894&sr=8-6

If you put in Safe T Alert or MTI Industries and add PROPANE...you will find several models and colors.

BTW.  I WOULD check to see if there is a leak.  I have used a lot more propane this winter with my gas logs than before.  I KNEW the system was good.  I watched and helped the install.  BUT, the other day, my DW said... I smell Propane and we were on the screened porch where the line runs under.  It was STRONG.  We had not eaten out there as much this year.  I shut it down.  I will have to find the leak.  BUT....LEAKS HAPPEN...especially in a MH that is vibrated like a Mag 4.5 Earthquake as we drive.

Good Luck

23 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Is it alarming or just giving a series of beeps?

Big difference between the two as to what the remedy would be.

yes, it was actually alarming and could push the button and it would be quiet for a while then go off again.  I have been having some intermittent issues with the generator and batteries, so maybe a low voltage situation???  Of course did not smell any gas at all.  I think I'll work on the wiring/electrical issues and then try hooking the old sensor back up.  Since it is dated 2020 I would not think it is at the end of life??? 

Since LPG gas drops to the floor, the chances of you smelling it before the detector does is slim to none.

Turn off the main shut off valve on your tank, then see if the detector stops alarming. If it continues to alarm after days or weeks with the main valve turned off then your detector is probably faulty.

Is it possible that your batteries are off gassing and the detector is smelling that gas?

Edited by Dr4Film