Loss of turbo boost gauge - 2005 Camelot

Guys, While driving in the hills of New Mexico today I noticed my turbo boost gauge stopped working. I have no turbo power. Checked all hoses and fittings and did not find anything loose or leaking. Engine runs fine. No issues at all driving. I have a 2005 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ and isl 350 with 146k miles. Any ideas as to where I should start troubleshooting ?
David Shackelford

dws520@aol.com

9 minutes ago, timaz996 said:

I would guess the Charge Air Cooler. You will have to have a shop do a pressure test to find the leak. Are your near Albuquerque?

TLC shop.jpg

No I’m heading to Superior Montana and will have to get someone to check it there. Will it hurt anything to continue driving ?

If you don’t have any boost, you will not have any power to speak of climbing grades will be very tough. And if it is a leak, then you will run very high exhaust temperatures. If you don’t have a pyrometer on your exhaust, you won’t know that they are too high and could damage your engine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DavidL said:

Are you saying you don't have turbo Power or that your gauge isn't reporting the boost (that exists)?

Those are very different things.

No power..,

Since you say running normal and power is normal probably just a indication/gauge problem. You can get a Scan D Gauge and it has a window that will give you turbo boost. It is a simple setup and you can get many different readings from it.

OK - lets get back to basics.  You have a 2005 engine and likely it has a waste gate on the turbo or maybe its an air actuated turbo controller - we need to know which one you have. 

You checked all the air hoses including the ones to the boost gauge and they are connected and not leaking.  You said you have no power and no boost pressure on the gauge.

Even if the intercooler had a leak you would have some boost pressure.

So, if you have a waste gate did you check to see if it's stuck or if you have an air actuated turbo, have you checked to be sure it's not stuck in one position?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, klcdenver said:

Since you say running normal and power is normal probably just a indication/gauge problem. You can get a Scan D Gauge and it has a window that will give you turbo boost. It is a simple setup and you can get many different readings from it.

Its running fine but no turbo power....

1 minute ago, Dave Shackelford said:

Its running fine but no turbo power....

Ok, so it is running fine at normal atmospheric pressure but you aren't getting the power benefit of the turbocharger.

So, no "turbo boost".

Many wouldn't call that "running fine"...so it is then confusing.

The gauge then sounds like it's accurate (not showing boost)

This distinction is critical as the fix is very different

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

OK - lets get back to basics.  You have a 2005 engine and likely it has a waste gate on the turbo or maybe its an air actuated turbo controller - we need to know which one you have. 

You checked all the air hoses including the ones to the boost gauge and they are connected and not leaking.  You said you have no power and no boost pressure on the gauge.

Even if the intercooler had a leak you would have some boost pressure.

So, if your waste gate did you check to see if it's stuck or if you you have an air actuated turbo, have you checked to be sure it's not stuck in one position?

Ok, i will be in Cheyenne by noon tomorrow. I will have plenty of time to let everything cool off so i can check all hose fittings and take some pictures. Will be driving slow and checking temps...

dave

5 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

If it's running fine you DO have turbo power.  you HAVE A GAUGE PROBLEM.

Not so sure based on the lack of detail on the description....that's why I am getting picky to really understand the symptoms before everyone gives their dose of thoughts.

Most misdiagnosis starts with a bad symptom gathering stage....

I have a  patent that concentrates on that....6,609,050 B2

If NO boost - could have a seized turbo.  Will run reasonably well at low power demands.

A leak will typically provide boost to some extent as the leak is rarely that large.

A stuck OPEN wastegate will be a good sized "leak".

Edited by DavidL
  • Like 1

You must have more than zero boost or your engine would be very sickly. Remove your closet engine cover and check the line which goes to your pressure gauge. Mine had not been securely fastened and developed a leak at the fitting and a deep abrasion from contact with metal. Probably would have eventually come completely off if I had not of noticed it during an inspection

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DavidL said:

Not so sure based on the lack of detail on the description....that's why I am getting picky to really understand the symptoms before everyone gives their dose of thoughts.

I agree - The original post said "...I noticed my turbo boost gauge stopped working. I have no turbo power..."  That to me says no turbo boost but the op says the engine is running just fine.  Hopefully the OP will clarify the meaning of running just fine.  Can he climb grades with zero boost on the gauge?  If so then it's a gauge problem.  If the engine runs just fine but can't climb grades, then it's a turbo problem.  

• Like 1

When you step on the throttle pedal have you noticed abnormal black exhaust coming from your exhaust pipe?

If so you are losing manifold pressure somewhere in the system, and it’s more than likely a breach in the charge air cooler system or piping, if no abnormal black exhaust smoke coming from your exhaust pipe under heavy acceleration it’s possibly a bad gauge or sending unit for the turbo boost gauge. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dave Shackelford said:

Do these pics show the type of turbo i have ?

dave

IMG_7196.jpeg

IMG_7197.jpeg

When i get parked tomorrow i will send a detailed update for you guys. Sorry for the confusion.

Dave

Thank you for posting pictures.  Looks like a waste gate turbo to me but I will defer to others with the same turbo system.  Have you been properly maintaining the system including lubrication?

Please clarify - when you say engine runs just fine - will it pull grades with the turbo gauge reading zero like it did with the turbo gauge reading boost pressures?

• Like 1

Loss of boost will affect your engine.  Ask me how I know.  You will not climb grades, you will be blowing black soot, and your engine will derate.  It will not be happy.  

But if you do in-fact have an issue with the turbo,  it’s at least not on the exhaust side, as your engine bay would be completely covered in soot. 

When i took these pics last night i noticed the valve on the turbo was stuck open about an inch or so. I closed it with my hand. Also tightened the hoses i could reach from above. Lastly when i said the engine runs fine i meant  it was running & driving ok no black smoke or soot blowing out. Will give another update late today from Cheyenne, WY...

dave

Also i do see a small amount of black smoke when i accelerate at full throttle but it stops when i speed up. We will see what happens when i drive thru Denver this am.

dave

3 hours ago, Dave Shackelford said:

When i took these pics last night i noticed the valve on the turbo was stuck open about an inch or so. I closed it with my hand. Also tightened the hoses i could reach from above. Lastly when i said the engine runs fine i meant  it was running & driving ok no black smoke or soot blowing out. Will give another update late today from Cheyenne, WY...

dave

Also i do see a small amount of black smoke when i accelerate at full throttle but it stops when i speed up. We will see what happens when i drive thru Denver this am.

dave

Not to belabor the original post as well as the Followup comments.  But, determining what is going on in the engine by doing a full Insite scan and getting the history (Data dump file - dates and events)….not just some “trouble code(s)”….which don’t really tell you what the problem is…is the only way to asses the situation and make the proper repairs.  The scan takes only a few minutes and the data file dump is all “electronic”.  Continuing to drive and hoping that no internal damage has been done or is being done has cost some folks here and on the Yahoo site a great deal.  I can think of at least 10 or so instances over the past years.  You may be allright….but a wrong call could result in a $15 - $30 K issue….  That is a fact….

Good Luck….

• Like 2

OK Guys, Latest update. Drove from Raton.NM to Cheyenne, WY  this am through the mountains at 6600 feet and make it thru just fine.  I found the leak right at the turbo. See attached pic. All other hoses, pipes, connections are good and not leaking. See attached where i am pointing. Is this repairable or am i looking at a new turbo ?

Dave

Turbo leak.heic

You may be able to tighten that clamp… doesn’t look to be that bad of a leak. Since you pulled a 6600’ pass as usual, you have a gauge issue. At altitude it’s normal to get a puff of black smoke when you first accelerate.

DO NOT take it to Floyd Truck repair, not that you need to take it anywhere…stop looking at the gauge.

• Like 2