Engine Monitoring - Aladdin, ScanGaugeD, BlueFire, & VMSpec

Go to solution Solved by Scotty Hutto,

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I currently have the Trip Tek ® 3100-5 Message Center, which is very basic and for some reason does not show the odometer reading that I think is supposed to be displayed???  Any suggestions on that would be appreciated.  I've read all the manuals and instructions on it to no avail. 

Anyway, looking at changing to some other monitoring system... most likely BlueFire as Silverleaf is no longer available.

Question:  Does my 03 Executive have a j1708 or a J1939 under the dash?  I took a quick look yesterday, not having read the thread yet and I seem to remember something looking like 9 pins, but they may not all be used? 

Question 2: Assuming it is the j1708 (6 pin) and I have the 3 wire cable under the arm rest... When combining these (as Scotty has done) I assume that the j1708 under the dash is eliminated?  What is the j1708 used for normally?  Do I need it?

Question 3:  If there is a J1939 is in the engine bay or front run box... can't the BlueFire be plugged in there?  Is the bluetooth signal not strong enough for that distance?

Sorry if these are stupid questions.  Electrical has never been my strong suit so I would prefer to just plug into something that is already existing rather than re-wiring a plug.  As Dirty Harry says.... "a man's got to know his limitations".

Jim

Jim, I use BlueFire and my adaptor is in the front run box. Originally I had lots of connectivity issues so I bought an extension cable to move it a little bit closer in that compartment. I still had connectivity issues. I then turned my tablet the other direction and have gone thousands of miles without issues.

6 hours ago, olywrestle said:

turned my tablet the other direction and have gone thousands of miles without issues.

That is a clue that Bluefire screwed up when they implemented the Bluetooth chip with the Can buss transceiver. Bluetooth is a very reliable protocol when done right.  The 2 chipsets are generic commodities manufactured by numerous companies. However it's up to designers to integrate the two. They know they have a problem. Wonder why they aren't more forth coming?

Edited by Gary Cole

On 9/1/2023 at 5:29 AM, Just Jim said:

I currently have the Trip Tek ® 3100-5 Message Center, which is very basic and for some reason does not show the odometer reading that I think is supposed to be displayed???  Any suggestions on that would be appreciated.  I've read all the manuals and instructions on it to no avail. 

Anyway, looking at changing to some other monitoring system... most likely BlueFire as Silverleaf is no longer available.

Question:  Does my 03 Executive have a j1708 or a J1939 under the dash?  I took a quick look yesterday, not having read the thread yet and I seem to remember something looking like 9 pins, but they may not all be used? 

Question 2: Assuming it is the j1708 (6 pin) and I have the 3 wire cable under the arm rest... When combining these (as Scotty has done) I assume that the j1708 under the dash is eliminated?  What is the j1708 used for normally?  Do I need it?

Question 3:  If there is a J1939 is in the engine bay or front run box... can't the BlueFire be plugged in there?  Is the bluetooth signal not strong enough for that distance?

Sorry if these are stupid questions.  Electrical has never been my strong suit so I would prefer to just plug into something that is already existing rather than re-wiring a plug.  As Dirty Harry says.... "a man's got to know his limitations".

Jim

The j1708 could be used by a mechanic to read the codes on the ECM or they may use the one in the engine bay. If you change it from the j1708 to j1939 you are just upgrading the plug to the new protocol that may have more info and will be faster getting the data to your bluefire. 

My bluefire was plugged in to a short 6" extension into the j1708 and the iPad was mounted about 12" away and I continually lost connection. I tried everything including rotating the IPad with no improvement. 

I bought a 3 foot j1939 extension cord and did pretty much what Scotty did. I cut one end off the new cord and cut my existing j1708 off and splice the wires together. For the j1939 I had the 3 wire connector going to my speedometer so I bought the same 2x1 splice Scotty bought and wired it in also. I have an access panel in top of the dash so I ran the wire with the new j1939 plug on it threw there and placed it right behind the iPad. No more disconnecting. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2023 at 12:19 PM, johncvandoren@gmail.com said:

I use ScanGauge D on my ‘06 Knight, but cannot find transmission temp gauge.  Someone @ ScanGauge suggested finding another diagnostic port where the trans temp may reside.  Anybody know where that may be?

@johncvandoren@gmail.com I have a ScanGauge on my 06 Dip connected to a port at the steering wheel.  When I had transmission issues, the only port the tech could find with transmission data was under the engine hatch.  The 2 or 3 at the front of the coach only had engine data. My Aladdin Jr display does she trans temp for me. ScanGauge will not for me. 

3 hours ago, Steven P said:

@johncvandoren@gmail.com I have a ScanGauge on my 06 Dip connected to a port at the steering wheel.  When I had transmission issues, the only port the tech could find with transmission data was under the engine hatch.  The 2 or 3 at the front of the coach only had engine data. My Aladdin Jr display does she trans temp for me. ScanGauge will not for me. 

In my 06 ambassador I found a port in the front electrical bay and pulled trans temp from it with my BlueFire. The one under the dash would not. 

Edited by olywrestle
Change year
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Still fighting my Warning Light . . . . Would a BlueFire be able to reset a code like hi oil pressure?  Scan D? 

Also considering a dedicated scanner like this one, except it wouldn't be very useful at 65 mph.

https://www.amazon.com/Reader-Automotive-Diagnostic-Autophix-Scanner/dp/B018YSNIEY/

And no guarantee it can reset all codes.

Thoughts?

- bob

A ScanGauge can read the code and you can reset the ScanGauge but I don't think it would reset them for the coach engine.  I'd be worried about why the codes keep popping up and suggest having a qualified mech check it. 

I reset misfire codes with the ScanGauge on my old gasser, so some codes can be reset for sure.

I don't know that codes keep popping up.  The shop just said there was a history of "hi oil pressure" codes.  As long as I'm investing in a scanner . . . . which one is best to use on the road, then see and reset codes?  BlueFire, ScanGuage D or a dedicated shop scanner?

I remember that not having the lift pump connected would generate a Warning Light, and I have a cheater resistor in it's place, but would the lack of a lift pump generate a code to go with the Light?

- bob

I installed a FASS pump and bypassed the original lift pump which did require me to install the Fooler Relay,  Never had a problem with the light coming on. 

What is your cheater resistor.

A while back on IRV2 there were some posts regarding the Fooler Relay suggesting that it does make a different which wire is connected to which post on the relay.  I never bothered to check mine since I've never had a problem.

28 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

What is your cheater resistor.

suggesting that it does make a different which wire is connected to which post on the relay

A relay doesn't have polarity, just inductance and resistance.  Maybe if a relay had a clamping diode on it, but those are usually in circuit. 

It's a 560 ohm 2W, should be ~ 24ma, installed over two years ago.  I should pull it out and check it but it's soooo much fun crawling under that greasy mess . . .  and it's raining then turning cold.  Spring is in the air, just not in the next few days LOL.

BTW, the Warning Light is on with key, goes out then comes on 1 - 4 sec after the Wait to Start light goes out.  It varies. 

What's really baffling me is it came on when I went to leave from camping.  Drove 200 miles with it on, checked fluids and PS fluid was low (steering box leak).  Topped it off and the Warning Light went out and stayed out for several more trips.  Here's the baffling part:  THERE'S NO SENSOR ON THE PS FLUID RESEVOIR! 😮 

- bob

I really like my Bluefire.  Ot gives me a “glass dash” of sorts and duplicates all of my gauges, please a few my Dip doesn’t have.

it will also simulate your fuel gauge with a calculated fuel gauge, which was very useful when my fuel gauge sender died during my 6,000 mile trip last year.  Gave me comfort I wasn’t going to run out of fuel.  🤣

I have mine set up with a Check Engine / Warning icon that turns yellow or red. If it changes from green to yellow or red you can touch it and it shows the codes.  You can also clear them.  I’ve done it while driving but probably should have pulled over. 🙄

Here’s a pic, but the engine isn’t running so there’s no data. I have it mounted with a Ram mount on the dash to the left of the steering wheel  

image.thumb.jpg.c758055610f09aac8e2be10f0c763562.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very jealous of that display, Scotty.  I'm going to have to prioritize my future projects once I get a few of the ones I've already started completed!!!  I would love to see how you have it mounted.

Edited by Just Jim

On 10/8/2023 at 9:44 AM, olywrestle said:

In my 06 ambassador I found a port in the front electrical bay and pulled trans temp from it with my BlueFire. The one under the dash would not. 

@olywrestle sent you a PM regarding your comments.