Tire Age Conundrum

Go to solution Solved by 96 EVO,

On 10/26/2023 at 1:02 PM, SUCHESTOM said:

Here is Michelin's white paper on RV tires.  There are lots of factors going into the tire life.  How long they sit without rolling, are they parked on concrete without a plywood or rubber buffer between them and the concrete, are they exposed to UV light, are they aired to maximum pressure for storage and aired down to correct pressure for travel?   

rv-tires-whitepaper.pdf 113.89 kB · 21 downloads

Interesting read.  Michelin recommends replacing at 10 years.  First time I’ve ever seen a manufacturer make a recommendation.

• Like 1

Not only the tires when it comes to road debris

In 2015 I lost a radiator.

Last week I crawled under my rig after a long trip and found about a 1' piece of tire carcass hanging from one of the fan supports just dangling there.  The right bump could have put into the fan and if it got one of the blades the fan would probably disintegrate. 

• Like 1

It is common sense to add 5 extra lbs to the minimum psi stated in the load inflation charts for your corner weights.

It is also common sense to set the TPMS low psi alert to the charts minimum psi thereby NEVER going below what the recommended psi is for your calculated weights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tdkkart said:

If you go to all the trouble of weighing each corner, then consult the chart, why would you vary from the number you came up with?

That's a reasonable safety factor.
A few psi above the recommended pressure has no significant downside, and will reduce operating temperature as well.

I do it partly for a safety factor, but more for the temperature changes as we travel, although, I don't think the tire is any safer above the minimum set be the tire manufacturer. It's more of a "convenience factor". If you set the exact pressures on a 70 degee day, you would be driving on under inflated tires when you start out on a chilly 40 degree day. Setting the pressures 7 or 8% high on a 70 degree day, I only adjust the pressures once or twice year traveling 8,000 miles in temps ranging from 35 up to 95 and altitudes from 450' up to 11,000'. It's never below the minimum for the load.  But, that's just me.  

Edited by Venturer
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Tdkkart said:

I give up........

I agree - if a tire manufacturer gives you a recommendation, they have safety factors built in. I don't understand why people deviate from the tire manufacturers tire pressure recommendations and tire age replacement recommendations. 

• Like 1

I recently purchased a 2004 Monaco Diplomat, the tires are Goodyear  Regroovable...can not find a manufacture date, I was told by two different sources  regroovable truck tires don't have a date. Is this true?  how long would these tires be good for
Thanks

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, AGaines said:

I recently purchased a 2004 Monaco Diplomat, the tires are Goodyear  Regroovable...can not find a manufacture date, I was told by two different sources  regroovable truck tires don't have a date. Is this true?  how long would these tires be good for
Thanks

Ben nailed it.  FMVSS or/and other DOT regs require a date code….unless, of course, Non Highway or Off Road.  As Ben says, regroovable is “typically” molded in.  I’m on my third set.  So BadYear as they are called by many, Bridgestone and Toyo all have had a DC & the “Regroovable” label.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/24/2023 at 8:57 PM, Tom Cherry said:

Ben nailed it.  FMVSS or/and other DOT regs require a date code….unless, of course, Non Highway or Off Road.  As Ben says, regroovable is “typically” molded in.  I’m on my third set.  So BadYear as they are called by many, Bridgestone and Toyo all have had a DC & the “Regroovable” label.

Thank you

On 11/24/2023 at 8:37 PM, Ivan K said:

Every tire I had was regroovable and all had date code. Could be on the inside side.

Thank you

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Repositioning the tires or a short drive every month may be best. On the aircraft I flew if the aircraft had been parked the tires were to be excercised every month and then parked 180 from where they had been.  Think that is a good plan for any tires 

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Repositioning the tires is too costly and could possibly damage the tires more than the benefit. A short 50 mile drive is far better as it exercises many other components in addition to the tires.

Richard is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. The Tire Manufacturers recommend that you DRIVE the vehicle periodically.  The FLEXING of the sidewalls will heat up the tire....and that is normal. That heat then "excretes" or drives out the natural (or synthetic) rubber in the tires and provides a protective layer on the outside...

• Like 1