Thoughts on best washer dryer combo.

Kenster

Okay, I've decided to consider a washer dryer combo in lieu of separate units for my coach. Frankly, I am more concerned about performance than I am cost. I have a single 110 volt Outlet and hot and cold water and drain in the utility closet. I have no problem adding an exterior vent if necessary. What will I be happy with performance wise? I am coming from a coach that had a stackable vented washer and dryer.

Okay, I've decided to consider a washer dryer combo in lieu of separate units for my coach. Frankly, I am more concerned about performance than I am cost. I have a single 110 volt Outlet and hot and cold water and drain in the utility closet. I have no problem adding an exterior vent if necessary. What will I be happy with performance wise? I am coming from a coach that had a stackable vented washer and dryer.

I can only speak to our experience. Our 2005 Safari came with a Splendee combo unit that was OEM. I do not know how much use it got from the previous two owners but I suspect it was little because of how they both used the RV. We us it pretty often, though we occasionally also use CG laundry when we have large loads like blankets and sheets. When traveling we usually use once or twice a week for small loads. Ours is vented outside. While I had to rebuild the floor beneath it It has served us well. I would likely buy it again when this one dies. Note: if you are putting in a new W/D in a rig that has not had one. check the closet floor where you plan to install it. Ours was made of particle board. I replaced it with 3/4" plywood. same weight and much more substantial.

Ken,

The only washer and dryer units that will fit your space are the "compact" size which measure  24"W x 23"D for each unit.   Be very careful before considering compact dryers deeper than 23" depth (many on the market are deeper than 23" which may prevent you from attachaching the dryer vent).  For compact washers, you can go beyond 23", but you must verify that you have sufficient room to the supply hoses and drain hoses.

You must attach the appliances to the RV to prevent damage to the appliances.  Your existing shelf does not have the structural integrity to support a standalone dryer so be prepared to reinforce that shelf or remove the shelf entirely then purchase or build a support structure.  Most non-mobile appliances were not made to attach to anything as they are freestanding, so be ready for an attachment subproject if you utilize compact appliances not intended for mobile use. 

Here are some options for your consideration.  In all cases, buy the extended warranty as almost all these units except the first unit were not made for mobile use:

- The most compact combo unit made for mobile use (Single unit washer & dryer in one), but low capacity: Splendid WFL1300XD http://www.splendide.com/portfolio-details_WFL1300XD.html

If you purchase a combo unit that does not have an integral ventless system with condensate separation, then I strongly recommend that you vent the dryer to the outside.  Here are the steps:

- Purchase a stud finder with both metal stud detection and 120VAC detection such as this product: https://www.amazon.com/Stud-Finder-Wall-Scanner-Microprocessor/dp/B0C4Q3XJ94/ref=sr_1_5?crid=P8XYE61JOAFC&keywords=stud%2Bfinder&qid=1693358012&sprefix=stud%2Bfinder%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-5&th=1

- Purchase an inspection bore scope such as this product: https://www.amazon.com/Daxiongmao-Borescope-Endoscope-Waterproof-Inspection/dp/B0C3R381FC/ref=sr_1_6?crid=IFMPM66MWH4D&keywords=inspection+camera&qid=1693357433&sprefix=inspection+camera%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-6

- Purchase a Dryer Vent kit: https://www.amazon.com/Westland-VI422-Standard-Dryer-Vent/dp/B003VAT5AM/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3MFKQRTGT7CU5&keywords=dryer+vent+kit&qid=1693357806&sprefix=dryer+vent+kit%2Caps%2C111&sr=8-8

- Purchase clear or white Geocel ProflexRV sealant (Do not use silicone!!): https://www.amazon.com/Geocel-GC28100-Flex-Flexible-Clear/dp/B001FC98X2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1VE3J6NGY7S3X&keywords=prorv%2Bsealant&qid=1693358161&sprefix=prorv%2B%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-3&th=1

- Purchase a 4.25" hole saw such as: https://www.amazon.com/Qjaiune-Bi-Metal-Smoothly-Cornhole-Fiberboard/dp/B089GXHVJ9/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1K300U6S3EO8L&keywords=dryer%2Bvent%2Bhole%2Bsaw&qid=1693358380&sprefix=dryer%2Bvent%2Bhole%2Bsaw%2Caps%2C123&sr=8-7&th=1

- With your rig attached to shore power, use a stud finder to locate the optimal point where steel studs are not present (studs are metal on your coach) then also scan that area for electric wiring using your stud finder in A/C detection mode. This area should be as close as possible to where the dryer exhaust is located.

- Drill a pilot hole large enough to insert a bore scope to inspect the proposed dryer vent location to inspect the are to ensure there are no utilities such as 12V wiring and plumbing.

- Upon validation with the bore scope, proceed to drill the dryer vent hole with the 4.25" hole saw

- Test fit the dryer vent kit then cut the dryer vent pipe to a size that permits the installation of two (2) hose clamps

- Pre-drill pilot holes to accommodate the kit screws

- install the dryer vent kit using a generous amount of Geocel ProFlexRV sealant

- install your washer and dryer, attaching the appliances to your rig.

I have both currently, combo and stackable (in different rvs)

Wife is the laundry queen. 2 adults 4 dogs 

She tells me traveling, the combo is ok for about 2 weeks. Then she really needs to sit down and watch the machines do laundry. 

She says she’s ok with either set up, it’s just the obvious, you can get more done, faster with the stackable. 

Really I would think your laundry habits will be the thug to keep in mind.

Likewise, I’ve cut vents in 3 rvs now, not complicated, but it’s a measure 3-4 times. Hitting a stud would be awful, 

We put a Splindide W/D in our ‘04 Monaco Knight in 2018.  The coach was pre-plumbed and had a vent. The previous owners had never installed a W/D and used the space for storage. We have run over 2,000 loads over 30,000 fulltime miles without any breakdowns. I run the cleaning cycles monthly and keep the dryer vent hose lint to a minimum. I cannot imagine not having one.  We are mindful of load sizes but you set it and forget it.  Do something else and come back to clean, dry clothes.

• Like 1

We have a Splendide 2200 model and are very happy with ours, but we hear complains from others about their dry times and performance. You might do an internet search on Splendide - there is a lot of information already online. There is no question that you can get more done, faster with the stackable types (non-combo), IMHO.

In a combo washer-dryer, you're washing and drying in the same drum (1.5-1.92 cu. ft.) so load sizes are smaller. IMHO, wash cycles are similar, but because combo washer-dryers are compact and operate using 115V (vs. 220V), dry times are longer. Instead of washing several, bulky loads of laundry one day every week or so, you'll learn to adjust your laundry habits to launder smaller loads every day or two. Remember, in separate w/d's, dryer drums are 100% larger than washer drums. In your Splendide, you wash and dry in the SAME drum. 

Therefore, if you wash full loads, you'll need to remove some items (up to 50%) before starting a dry program. Or, wash smaller loads only filling the machine 1/2 full, etc.  When you program your machine to wash then dry automatically, load the drum accordingly. 

We occasionally also use CG laundry when we have large loads like blankets, sheets, towels, etc.  Ours is vented and I would strongly urge that type if you get one. We would buy it again if ours stops working.

The Splendide combo is probably the most common.  They are a bit small and leave your clothes a bit wrinkled.  But, they are probably the best option available.  We would not be without ours.  We do not have room for a stackable, which is what we would prefer.  So, you do the best with what you have.  I prefer the vented version rather than the condensation dryer version.  The condensation version takes longer, so I would recommend you put in the vent.

Richard

We had a fifth wheel with a Samsung combo.  It was great as that was all we could use.  Now in our Windsor we have separate washer and dryer and I would not go back to combo unless I had NO choice.  But this is only a personal choice.  The obvious reasons are we can now wash and dry a larger load in about 2 hours with the separate units.  With the combo unit it would take 3 1/2 hours and half the amount.  It is all personal choice but for me having experienced both sides, I am staying on the separate washer and dryer side.

Edited by Bill R

We installed an LG combo washer/dryer this past summer, and have been very pleased with it.  I know @TedZimmer and @stacyhall installed the same.  It is a ventless W/D combo that uses heat pump technology to dry the clothes, and sends the condensate down the drain to the gray water tank. I also like that it's WiFi enabled, so you can download different profiles and it notifies you (via an app) when it's done. Fit perfectly in my 2006 Diplomat 40DST.  Takes forever to do a full wash-dry cycle, but we're not typically in a hurry anyway.

https://www.lg.com/us/washers-dryers/lg-wm3555hva-all-in-one-washer-dryer

Whatever brand you chose, make sure and reinforce the supports and floor, and use some type hold-down.  I used these hold down brackets from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A16MZO2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The other two I have confirmed will fit a 2006 Dip are the Splendide (what Monaco installed) and a GE all-in-one that's very similar to the LG.  Costco has both the GE and the LG if you're looking for new, but you can often find both on Facebook Marketplace if you're comfortable buying used.

https://www.geappliances.com/appliance/GE-24-2-4-cu-ft-Capacity-Front-Load-Washer-Condenser-Dryer-Combo-GFQ14ESSNWW

• Like 1

We have the Splindide combo in our ‘15 Dynasty and we generally like it although all of the previous comments are correct. My only dislike with it is that about every 6 months, I have to get access to the back and back flush the ‘self cleaning’ filter. The normal w/d cycle takes 1.5-2 hours but Splendide support recommends that you always use the extra rinse cycle to help keep the filter clean. Even by doing so, you still have backflush. 

Also, my wife has started using Sheets Laundry Club laundry detergent that has no liquid in them. She uses 1/2 sheet because the loads are small. She buys them through Amazon. They store easier and is a lot less messy. I hav skin allergies to some detergent and these are good for that. 

Tom Gibbens

’15 Dynasty 

We have a separate washer and dryer. They work great. Had a different unit with a Splendide. Hated it. Took forever. In the end we only used it for smaller items and suffered with Laundromats.  understand that some of the bigger non rv combo units work rather well. I thought they did not fit in most mh's. Does it need 220 for the dryer?

Edited by birdshill123

We use the Splendide combo for washing quite a bit when we're living in the RV, but it's non-vented so we rarely use it for drying. We've used rv park laundry for drying, and when we can get away with it we set up our portable clothesline.

We are fans of the vented Splendide combo.  In our full timing of 19+ years, we are on our third unit, so we have the newest model right now.  They have added a lot of electronic gadgetry, but it performs better than the previous models.  It is run almost daily, sometimes several loads a day, we have only had a few issues with the older models and their customer service has always been excellent.  In each case it was the drying side failure that prompted us to get a new one.

I put a splendide 7100 non vented combo in my Montana fifth wheel because I couldn't make myself cut a hole in the side of it.  It worked fine, I had no complaints. I was working construction out of town then so I definitely had some dirty clothes. My wife is the main laundry person when she's with me and she had no problems with it either.

When we got the Camelot it already had a splendide 2000 vented combo. I was happy that it was already in there and vented from the factory. Wife says it works better than the non vented one did but not a huge difference.

55 minutes ago, Mark Underhill said:

Sorry to hijack, but how do you folks that use them a lot manage water consumption?  I use mine very sparingly because it eats up so much water and fills the waste tanks.  

Are there models that use less water?

Well if your dry camping you have specific challenges as you mentioned. You will have to get creative and use a portable water jug and a tote to capture the gray water from your tank. That’s about all you can do if you can’t dump your gray water. Depending where you are and what you can do maybe you could capture your gray water at the dump valve and use it to flush your toilet, that would cut down on your fresh water refilling needs some. Then hall away your black water in the tote.🤷