Penquin AC Unit Availability

Just as an update, I learned today that new penguin II units may not ship till September and some dealers are reporting October.  If this is true then it is going to really hurt if you lose an AC unit.

The good news is that my tech, Dustin, just did a Penguin II change out today with their latest  model on a unit with a 5 button thermostat. It appears Dometic changed their board setup this year and the units are direct change outs and the new boards will work with your old thermostat.

What I am hearing is that once the new Penguin II's ship, that initial inventory will go to fill dealer back orders. Many of the dealers have coaches waiting for these units. Once the back orders are met then I believe dealers will start stocking their shelves for direct sales to the public. Until then if your AC unit goes out then I suggest spending a couple days searching dealers around the country to see if they have a unit hidden away and sitting on a shelf.

It has taken us 2 weeks to get capacitors, reversing valves and overload switches.  There are all kinds of RV parts that are unavailble at the moment so do not be surprised if you spend a couple days chasing down a part and have to wait a couple weeks for delivery. It is absolutely crazy out there right now.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

SOLD!!   I have 2 brand new Dometic Penguin Low Profile 15,000 BTU units... AC only - (no heat pump) in box, never opened.  Had planned to install but have now decided to sell my RV and not install these.  If interested, I prefer to sell both units and thermostat - $2300 + you arrange shipping.  Thanks,  Hugh

whughwhite@gmail.com

678-325-9178

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 10.57.00 AM.png

Edited by whugh35
Units Sold

Has anyone seen any availability of the Penguin's yet? My front unit runs for 5 minutes and then shuts off for 5 minutes and then kicks back on again. In Texas, that isn't very comfortable unfortunately so I have been tasked with getting this done soon 😕

I would rather pay the normal price from a vendor and support their business if at all possible.  

On 7/24/2020 at 7:27 AM, rpasetto said:

I tried two months ago.  None had the correct PenguinII for my ducted system.    Got a Blizzard from Tweetys; they seem to be readily available... it's a few inches higher but cools well.

How does it look compared to the low profile Penguin's? Did you have to add a thermostat, or modify anything to use your current setup?

UPDATE - found a Penguin II semi local - dealer selling on eBay.  $1300 shipped with control board to utilize my 5 button. 

Now I just have to plan the install.... 😕

Edited by Perpendicular

Glad you could find the unit.

If you still have the issue with the new one then the problem could by in your intellitec system.

We have 2 new Penguin II 15,000 units with heat pumps now in stock. These are for pickup only at our Brooksville, FL  location. I did not want to post these on our online store front until I gave everyone a chance here first. If interested call my director, Amy at - 352-942-2653.

Edited by throgmartin

On 7/23/2020 at 5:36 PM, throgmartin said:

Just as an update ....The good news is that my tech, Dustin, just did a Penguin II change out today with their latest  model on a unit with a 5 button thermostat. It appears Dometic changed their board setup this year and the units are direct change outs and the new boards will work with your old thermostat....

Chris, In trying to plan ahead for what I might need when a new 15K heat pump unit becomes available later this year, (I guess it would be a 651816HXX1C0-01, correct??? to replace an original 2006 vintage 630516 model), is Dustin saying the above new unit will work with the old 5 button CCC?  I'm trying to plan ahead as the newer CCC2 thermostat is too wide to go where my old 5 button is located.  Or would I still need to order the adapter board "Dometic 3313107.107 CCC2 to CCC 12 Button to 5 Button Heat Pump Conversion Kit" to use the old CCC thermostat (assuming I can not find some other wall width space and wiring routing someplace for the newer CCC2 as the original location is only 4 inches between a cabinet and a door...but the features of the CCC2 might be nice if space allowed...).  Or would the unit need to be a 651516... model to work only with the old CCC?

Thanks for verifying.

Whenever you have a new Penguin II AC that requires the 10 button CCC-2 thermostat you will ALWAYS need to purchase the conversion board if you plan to use the old style 5 button CCC thermostat. None of the new Penguin II AC's will run with the 5 button CCC thermostat without having the conversion board installed.

Richard (Dr4Film), What is your source of information or first hand experience with the new units that Chris T mentioned in his post where Chris posted an update from his tech (Dustin) on one of his latest swap outs?  I am hoping Chris can double check the new information he got and verify a model number of what they used?

Chris, thanks for double checking with Dustin.  I appreciate it.  I guess our posts are overlapping in the Ethernet 😀

I think it will only be a matter of time before I'll have to start replacing my originals.  I'm also looking/thinking about possibly doing a remote temp sensor at the original CCC thermostat location and possibly mounting the wider CCC2 some place else.  But then I would have to fish another cable... I appreciate your expertise in these matters.  Too bad I may not be in Florida for many many months.

Whoops! Well the two new Penguin II's that I installed in the winter of 2018/19 required the conversion board in order to use the old 5 button CCC thermostat. Since I was installing two new ones I didn't need to purchase the conversion boards.

Their model numbers were 651816CXX1CO and I purchased them from PPL in Texas. Item from receipt below.

2    651816CXX1CO   *PENGUIN HC H/P CCC2PW,15K         964.99  1,929.98

If in fact Dometic has updated their new units so that the conversion boards are no longer needed that is a BIG plus for those that do not want to upgrade to the new CCC-2 thermostat. However I absolutely love and recommend the new 10 button thermostat as it is light years better than the old CCC thermostat plus you can actually view it easily.

Thank you, Chris, for taking the extra effort to verify for me.  Just as a guess, perhaps the difference in model numbers with Richard's 651816C versus what I finding now as 651816H explains something.  At least now I think I could plan for the 651816HXX1C0-01 and perhaps get flexibility of either thermostat depending on wall space I can find.  When they become readily available, I am desiring polar white 15K (high capacity) heat pumps and not just A/C only units.

Again, many thanks!

A few months ago our old front Penguin-II Heat pump was toast so we searched & called around for a 651816HXX1C0-01, planning to change the front thermostat also to switch the front thermostat to the CCC2.  After a frustrating experience with two different RV parts dealers telling us they "had" the Penguin, ordering one and then discovering they did not have it or had a different model, we made a decision to go with the  Blizzard-NXT, model H551816AXX1C0.  it's about 3 1/2" higher than the Penguin-II model but other than that, works the same with the new CCC2 thermostat.

... Rick P  05 Sig

Edited by rpasetto

Rick,

I was actually ready to purchase two Blizzard-NXT units versus the Penguin II's when I realized that they were significantly higher than the Penguins. In fact the new Penguin II's are higher than the old version of Penguins. Even with the new Penguin II's I have only 2-3 inches of clearance to park my coach under our house in Florida and that is with dumping all of the air out of the air bags. With the Blizzards I would not have the room to pull the coach under the house.

On 8/3/2020 at 4:32 PM, throgmartin said:

Ivan, they are about the same size. The new Penquinn II's are also a bit quieter.

Chis,  Other than the size, are the Blizzard NXT's better, not as good, or same as Penguin II's?   I have plenty of room and not worried about height.  I need to replace two units and seems like there maybe some NXT's available. Thanks,

Herb

2 hours ago, gjh2916 said:

I put 2 new Blizzards on my coach in 2018 and they work great and are alot quieter than my old penguins. No banging noise when starting. Also went from 13500 btu to 15000 btu  gave me a little more cooling capacity

Fascinating.  My 2008 Penguins are 15K each.  That is what the 2 AC Monaco's came with....and if it was a 42, you got the center which was a 13.5K unit.

Thanks for that tidbit....