Jump to content

SaniCon removal?


CapnDean

Recommended Posts

New to me 2008 Camelot has the SaniCon system.  Not so sure I like it.   It's slow.  Even draining gray water takes awhile.    I like the whoosh of a fast flush and the joy of rinsing the black tank.   Has anyone ever removed theirs?  

 

Also....   My tank flusher is plugged.   I have filled the black tank with freshwater (garden hose in the toilet Cousin Eddie style)  and placed not  one but 2 packets of Commando black tank cleaner.   I let it sit for 5 days and then pumped it out via the sani con.    Still no joy -   anybody know another good way to unplug that rascal?  Or perhaps anything else to check?  There is no check valve in the wet bay at the hose connection, but I am sure there is one somewhere else......where?  Beats me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

John's right.  First check the 1-way valve.  Then you'll find it's probably the sprayer.  Clean the tank well first.

You'll need to get access to the opposite side of the black tank, usually the passenger side.  Most Monaco coaches have another access door on the passenger side of the tanks.  It does not have the normal latch but has two releases underneath.  Release these and open the door.  The sprayer is usually attached with 2-3 screws and some sealant.  Remove the screws and use a small drill bit to clean the holes out.  Use some sealer and screw it back down.  

The only advantage to the Sanicon is you can pump uphill.  It is easily removed if you decide you no longer need it.  Then you can add a 90 degree adapter.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is my second coach with the sanicon and I wouldn't have another one without it. Easiest, cleanest way to dump. Two completely full tanks, grey and black will take less than five minutes to empty. If it takes longer than that either you are doing something wrong or your system need service. Since the coach is new to you, remove the pump and clean the knives. They get hair wrapped around them and they don't work as well. They have rebuild kits for the pump as well. Amazon is the best place for that. Mine will pump over 100' and up to 8' high. I always look for a space near the bathhouse in campgrounds with no sewer hookup.......Dennis

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you do much camping without a sewer connection and have a wife that likes to use water you will learn to love the Sanicon. We carry a blue tote tank and can just set the tank up on the tailgate of the truck and fill it with the Sanicon. Now that we are not towing the truck we just move the tote tank close enough for the Sanicon to reach and fill the tank with gray water and pull it to the dump station. We never use the tote tank for the black and just wait until we leave and head to the dump station.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To unplug the Back-Flush sprayer without removing the device from the tank you could try really high water pressure to blow the debris from the nozzles. If that doesn't work the only way to clean it out is to remove it.

BTW, I agree, I prefer the stinky slinky for dumping. I do have a portable sanicon which I purchased from someone who only used it one or two times. Got a real deal on it. I have yet to use it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My coach came with sanicon in 2005, it’s been running 15 years without issues.   I love not dealing with the big sewer hoses!   Although I keep the onboard just in case.

You might try filling the black tank about 3/4 way with water and add a few bags of ice, then drive around.   The ice might help clean the sprayer enough to get it going.   
 

Granville Barker

05 Dynasty

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/1/2020 at 9:31 PM, CapnDean said:

New to me 2008 Camelot has the SaniCon system.  Not so sure I like it.   It's slow.  Even draining gray water takes awhile.    I like the whoosh of a fast flush and the joy of rinsing the black tank.   Has anyone ever removed theirs?  

 

Also....   My tank flusher is plugged.   I have filled the black tank with freshwater (garden hose in the toilet Cousin Eddie style)  and placed not  one but 2 packets of Commando black tank cleaner.   I let it sit for 5 days and then pumped it out via the sani con.    Still no joy -   anybody know another good way to unplug that rascal?  Or perhaps anything else to check?  There is no check valve in the wet bay at the hose connection, but I am sure there is one somewhere else......where?  Beats me.

Best thing I ever did was to remove my sanicon after it broke.  Love the fast flush and rinse.  Not sure why I had ordered it in the first place.  It's major use is if you have to pump out going uphill.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, astgerma said:

It's major use is if you have to pump out going uphill.

That's the only reason I purchased the secondhand portable Sanicon which was a steal was in case I had to pump uphill for whatever reason. Haven't had to do that so far but it's available if needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You have the old sani con system which is notoriously slow. The new turbo models will empty your tanks in 5 minutes. Many owners buy them because they have to pump to far away clean outs or up hill. The turbo model can pump uphill for 100 ft.

We are a sani con dealer and we sell the heck out of them. I believe this last quarter we were the number one dealer for the country outselling Camping World and Lazy days. We have a heck of a time keeping them in stock. The main reason is that we are one of the very few who sell them over the counter versus making you have the dealer install them.

I have no idea how many we have sold but we have never had a return or warranty claim. They have been solid performers. Now with all this being said I do not have one on my coach. The main reason is that my techs are so busy they do not have time to install it. Pretty sad when the boss cannot get priority service work. 🙂

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, throgmartin said:

You have the old sani con system which is notoriously slow. The new turbo models will empty your tanks in 5 minutes. Many owners buy them because they have to pump to far away clean outs or up hill. The turbo model can pump uphill for 100 ft.

We are a sani con dealer and we sell the heck out of them. I believe this last quarter we were the number one dealer for the country outselling Camping World and Lazy days. We have a heck of a time keeping them in stock. The main reason is that we are one of the very few who sell them over the counter versus making you have the dealer install them.

I have no idea how many we have sold but we have never had a return or warranty claim. They have been solid performers. Now with all this being said I do not have one on my coach. The main reason is that my techs are so busy they do not have time to install it. Pretty sad when the boss cannot get priority service work. 🙂

The cobbler's children have no shoes!😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/1/2020 at 8:56 PM, John Haggard said:

I had to remove the tank flusher screen and rince out.

Takes about ten minutes.

 

The check valves on my signature are under the toilet sink.

On the standpipe.

After much tinkering around I found the problem.   For starters, the pex pipe that goes from the hose connection up to the vacuum breaker under the bathroom sink....is red in color.   The pex pipe going FROM the vacuum breaker/check valve is blue in color.  Somewhere between the vacuum breaker and the rinser - the  pipe changes color again back to red.  That was kinda weird.   None of that was the problem.   The check valve AND the vacuum breaker were installed backwards.  Once I determined which way the rinse water was supposed to flow, its was an obvious issue.  The check valve blocked any water flow TO the vacuum breaker.   I reversed the check valve & reconnected the lines and when the water is turned on the VB sprayed water.  Thinking it was bad, I removed it and blew into it and VIOLA.....ITS INSTALLED BACKWARDS.  I swapped that around and TADA...now I get the joyous sound of rinse water hitting the walls of my empty black tank.

I am thinking I may ask the PO if HE tinkered with this or if it was that way from the factory ....That would mean that this man did not flush the pooper for 12 years....

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, CapnDean said:

 

I am thinking I may ask the PO if HE tinkered with this or if it was that way from the factory ....That would mean that this man did not flush the pooper for 12 years....

 

Using a Sani-con for dumping, that wouldn't be good!

I use my Sani-con exclusively since purchasing this coach, and love it. I do give the tank a good flush about every 3rd dump, and it does get a fair bit of stuff that doesn't make it's way to the dump valve just using the Sani-con. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Pduggs said:

I love my old 2008 vintage Sanicon. However, I had to take it apart every year and replace the propeller and clean it. Then it works very quickly. 

FWIW, I've replaced the bearings with just common inline roller skate bearings when the original 2006 bearings wore out.  I clean blades couple times a year.  Make my own gaskets.  Maybe getting time for a spare impeller.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...