California Will Now be Off My List of States to Visit

I was born and raised in So. Cal. Loved growing up where I could surf in San Clemente, head over the Ortega highway and go through the mountains to ride dirt bikes in the Mojave. They say there is no place like home... Who-ever they is... their are right. There is no place like Calif....I would never even think about going back to live anywhere in Ca. All my friends there are packing up and heading to Az. or Utah. I’m convinced that the over-all philosophy is to run as many people out of the state as possible, so the elitists can have free run. Sad!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Wow. I just got mine. Thats a bummer. I guess I have to do the whole state in the next 2 years.

But like how do even test pressure emission diesels? Do they just start it up and go " yup its smokey".

14 minutes ago, Scott and Colleen Miller said:

I was born and raised in So. Cal. Loved growing up where I could surf in San Clemente, head over the Ortega highway and go through the mountains to ride dirt bikes in the Mojave. They say there is no place like home... Who-ever they is... their are right. There is no place like Calif....I would never even think about going back to live anywhere in Ca. All my friends there are packing up and heading to Az. or Utah. I’m convinced that the over-all philosophy is to run as many people out of the state as possible, so the elitists can have free run. Sad!

Does anyone see a patern.

Saint Louis

Chicago

Detroit

Cleavland

New york city etc. Etc.

Crime begets Destruction Eventually 

Then the working middle class leaves

Thinking Cincinnati also.

• Like 2

The happiest time of my life was when I saw that big beautiful sign...."WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA" ....... in my rear view mirror.....Dennis

This fiasco is scheduled for 2023 so you still have a few months to visit that State and pay $4-5 bucks for fuel, wear your mask and don't dine in restaurants. Better hurry....D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hang onto your steering wheel, it ain't over yet.  I predicted this 10 years ago.  The best ( worst) is yet to come.  

Once the states realize that they can get revenue from fines from a over weighted coach,  you will see that too.  You will have the privledge of being weigh when you enter a state.  If you exceed the weight values printed on the sticker behind the drivers seat per axle per wheel, you better hide your wallet.

Back in 2010, I stayed in Red Bluff, Ca RV park. I would see 3 axle fifth wheelers park for the night before crossing over the hill into Oregon.  Most of them were pulled by a F350, Chevy truck 3500 pick um up truck.  I would tell the owners that they were making a mistake going to Oregon.   They would leave the next morning only to come back that afternoon.  When they would cross the state line, they would be stopped by the highway petrol waving them into the weight scales.  Most all of them would be overweight.  After a heavy fine, they would have to hire a correct side truck to pull them back to California.  Everyone thought ole Chuck B was crazy.

Coach owners will soon be required to have a commercial drivers license with a air brake endorsement.  

Good luck, Chuck B

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Paul Busch said:

They don’t like big rigs, I don’t like California. It is a shame. I visited California in 1990 and it might be the prettiest place I have ever seen.

That may be because their focus on sustainability and non polution.

I lived in so by the beach for over 25 adult years. When I moved there in 1972 I used to scuba dive off Palos Verdes  n up n down the cost you could not see your hand in in front of you mask. Due to efforts my many and against big business. Within 10 years the waters along vastly improved along with the health of the marine environment. It all begins with us!

• Haha 1

Sorry Peter, but I must disagree. I grew up in Newport Beach California. Body surfing at the wedge. Without becoming political, California doesn't give a rat's behind about pollution and sustainability. They are only looking at $$$$$$$. Even Jerry Brown was quoted as saying "I'll tax everyone until they have nothing left". Tell me their roads rate even a "fair" rating. Look around and you'll see what I'm talking about. That extra 2-3 bucks they tack onto a gallon of fuel? Think it goes to the roads..?? Think again. Bullet train to nowhere? Tunnel under SF? Pet projects of the politicians. Think all those forest fires, enhanced by failed policies, really did anything to protect the environment? How about 10 cents a bag at the grocery store. Now they're charging a 'lumber fee' when you purchase a 2X4. Nope! California, unfortunately is all about the big bucks and how we can get more from everyone........I could go on forever but.... rant over.....Dennis

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Romeo84 said:

Wow. I just got mine. Thats a bummer. I guess I have to do the whole state in the next 2 years.

But like how do even test pressure emission diesels? Do they just start it up and go " yup its smokey".

A 2-minute read of the article indicated it will be an ODB scan, optionally a visual inspection. No tailpipe emissions testing mentioned, but they do say the RV industry groups are pushing for RV exemptions. Considering that few states have weight limit or air brake drivers license endorsements an RV exemption is likely. RVs account for relatively few road miles compared to commercial trucks. 

It may end up like the agricultural inspections stations. I've never been boarded to look for houseplants when I go through the agricultural inspection stations, and the last time the agent mentioned she liked the empty macrame plant holder hanging in the window. The first time I went through I started explaining all the houseplants and groceries and the agent cut me off with "Are you selling anything? We don't need to know about your personal stuff". 

8 hours ago, Dennis H said:

Tell me their roads rate even a "fair" rating.

Compared to PA, SC, WV, anywhere near almost any city in the eastern US, CA roads are at least decent. 

• Thanks 1

I remember my first trip to CA - 1975. It was miserable - Marine Corps Boot camp. My wife and I went back in 2006 and enjoyed Chula Vista, San Diego, Pismo Beach, the mountains and the deserts. It is a gorgeous State.

Unfortunately I will not return. Been there, done that, paid crazy prices for everything and do not care to go back.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mmartinhouse said:

Well, that will be a sad day for us.  Main reason we got our big rig was to travel to California to see our daughter who lives there at least once a year.  Hoping out of state gets an exemption. 

Yes

You may get an exception 

But you may pay $10 + for fuel

They talked $7.00 + gas 10 years ago.

To take vehicles off the road 

Back to the good 👍 😌 😎 old days. 

Poop scooper job anyone.

Pays $15. Minimum hr rate. 

20210205_131850.jpg

We have family in CA, we used to take the coach out, visit one son's family in San Diego area, then head up the coast to see our other son in Santa Cruz area.   Getting into an RV park anywhere on the CA coast became more and more of a challenge as the years went by.   We stopped doing the coach trips a few years back and drove by car, stayed in B&B and hotels.  Last time was two years ago.

Now we try to convince them to come east, visit their sisters family in New England.  It happens some times.  We miss the grandkids; glad we can talk to them on Face-time.   

We love CA, but we’re from Michigan. No other state offers such beauty?  Beaches, deserts, mountains, cities oh my. We will continue to visit as long as we can. 

• Like 2

Realistically folks...interesting post so we can bash California. Not one person said California wasn't a beautiful State. It's their government intrusion that's messing everything up. If you get a chance to visit, do so. FYI for those who don't want to take your rig, explore the lighthouses along the coast. Many have been converted to hostels and can be rented for cheap!  As far as the smog thingy, it's legality will be challenged and most likely be found to be illegal as far as privately owned RVs are concerned. If my Class A rig is subject to their smog check then any truck pulling a fiver would be also etc etc. Also there are reciprocal agreements in place throughout the country which allows us to travel from State to State using our own States' rules...driver's licenses, registration etc etc. We do have to follow each States' traffic laws but this is not a traffic law. If California doesn't grant the exception then it will most certainly be challenged in court and I have no doubt it would be overturned.....JMHO....Dennis

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1