How do you get under your Coach?

LakeBob

New 09 45' Dynasty owner.  I would like to pull the auxiliary compressor and I dont have hydraulic jacks on the coach.   I'm thinking 10 ton jack stands and maybe a bottle jack to get a couple extra inches higher than the travel position.   

How do you get under your coach? 

Interested in safe' practical ideas. 

Thanks!

I just use the manual mode on air bags and crack it up then crawl under. Can a air bag blow out and crush me, maybe. It's what I believe to be a low rusk situation. Don't use my advise, do your own research on the pros/cons and make your own decision. I call tell I've been under there a lot and I'm still with us.

• Sad 1

$120 12 ton jack stands at harbor freight. Nice piece of mind knowing you dont have to hurry before something fails.

Placed under frame rails - not under coach body or storage compartments or axles

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/jack-stands/12-ton-jack-stands-34924.html

Edited by directorsusa
  • Like 1

I had to work on my air system last year and made 6 sets of ramps to raise the coach 6".  I could then drop air completely and not have the jacks down and still be able to crawl under the coach and in some cases sit up and work on some of the fittings. 

I used 2X10" boards cut to 48", 42". 36", 30" stacked and screwed together.  I put a stop block on the end of the rear ramps so I wouldn't back off them.  I was surprised at how easy I was able to back up on the ramps.  I now just have them leaning up against the wall in my garage for use in the future. 

• Like 1

It is amazing how fast the air can be let out and if you think you can get out before being crushed you are wrong.

Even if you have the hydraulic jacks lifting the RV there are so many things that can take it into the emergency retract mode and it can drop like a rock. 

Just for fun when you are clear of everything for those that have the leveling jacks, put your foot on the brake and put the transmission in D and take the parking brake off. 

I can tell you from experience that a crazy thing like water getting to the Transmission Control Module can activate the same emergency situation.

If in doubt, use jack stands. Even with jack stands you are at risk, says my trip to the emergency room to be checked out after my little Ranger pickup came down off the jack and jack stand and pinned me under the truck. I was only bruised but gained a valuable lesson. Stuff happens. Be careful. 

• Like 1

I use blocks of wood. Raise my bags all the way up and stack as much wood under it as I can. I've had my suspension drop while I was under it greasing the slack adjusters and linkage ....scared the crap out if me. Luckily I was near the front and the generator was out at the time. 

• Like 1

My problem is that unless I lift the tires and axle I can't get my chest under the axle.   I have to crawl out from one side, out around the tire, and then back in.  Using the ramps raises the whole coach and give me plenty of room.   Makes it much easier to do a service on the coach. 

• Like 1

wood Ramps AND timbers, rated jack stands or the proper pipe under the chassis.

Do NOT get underneath unless it's just for a second to get a jack stand underneath without having the chassis supported.  those that do are completely inexperienced and super lucky.  Crap happens ALL THE TIME the more you do this stuff, the more you know that.

I moved the RV because a tree was looking sickly.  I brought the backhoe up to it and TOUCHED it with the bucket.  The 100ft tree cracked and fell towards me, knocking my glasses off my face (that's how close).  Pinned me into the seat and bent the seat back unto a U.  Crap happens.  Be careful.

Edited by DavidL
  • Like 1

It is amazing how fast the air can be let out and if you think you can get out before being crushed you are wrong.

Even if you have the hydraulic jacks lifting the RV there are so many things that can take it into the emergency retract mode and it can drop like a rock. 

Just for fun when you are clear of everything for those that have the leveling jacks, put your foot on the brake and put the transmission in D and take the parking brake off. 

I can tell you from experience that a crazy thing like water getting to the Transmission Control Module can activate the same emergency situation.

If in doubt, use jack stands. Even with jack stands you are at risk, says my trip to the emergency room to be checked out after my little Ranger pickup came down off the jack and jack stand and pinned me under the truck. I was only bruised but gained a valuable lesson. Stuff happens. Be careful. 

Just got out from under mine a few minutes ago. Used jack stands of course. I really like the pipe thing and a welder could put some tabs on it or cut it so they actually cannot kick off sideways. One of my Bilstein shocks was leaky and it took six months to get a replacement. Little do they know the old one is going to get warranted because of the leak. Guess I will have a spare. Suckers went up a bunch of course. 

Edited by myrontruex

13 hours ago, directorsusa said:

$120 12 ton jack stands at harbor freight. Nice piece of mind knowing you dont have to hurry before something fails.

Placed under frame rails - not under coach body or storage compartments or axles

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/jacks-jack-stands/jack-stands/12-ton-jack-stands-34924.html

MUCH cheaper than a hospital bill or a funeral. 😎

10 hours ago, myrontruex said:

All that, plus if an air or hydraulic line fails, it will drop even faster.
Glad you survived your mishap.  Many people don't get as second chance. 🙏

7 hours ago, vito.a said:

Great suggestions here.  Just remember that jack stands are rated in pairs.  So 10 ton jack stands only hold 5 tons each.  That's marginal on the rear.  

True for many sets. The ones listed above are rated each, however.