Propane leak locating

saflyer
Go to solution Solved by waterskier_1,

A few nights ago I walked up to my HR Ambassador parked in the driveway when there were very light winds. There was a strong propane aroma outside the RV. I turned the propane off at the tank and checked again the next day. I couldn’t smell it anymore.

I put the motorhome in my building with the propane turned on. The next morning there was a slight propane smell in the 3000sf building. Turned the propane off and checked later and the smell seemed to be gone.

I called my shop and they said they could check for a leak. However, I’m wondering if they will just determine if there is one but not necessarily seek out the location. Has anyone had this experience? How should I proceed? What questions should I ask?

22 minutes ago, bklaes said:

I once  had a stove burner knob bumped from the off position.  I could smell propane inside and out.

I checked those. The question arises, with the propane turned off at the tank what happens to the pilot lights on the heaters and water heater. Do they have auto-shutoff. I’ll check the manual.

Thanks

If you want to go high tech, Home Depot has a natural gas sniffer for about $30.  I’ve used mine several times, once found a leaky water heater valve, another time my regulator was leaking.  Sooo, it worked for me!!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HOME-FLEX-Electronic-Gas-Leak-Detector-11-810-001/301876827

45 minutes ago, Scotty Hutto said:

If you want to go high tech, Home Depot has a natural gas sniffer for about $30.  I’ve used mine several times, once found a leaky water heater valve, another time my regulator was leaking.  Sooo, it worked for me!!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HOME-FLEX-Electronic-Gas-Leak-Detector-11-810-001/301876827

Great idea. Thanks

I bought the Home Depot natural gas sniffer. I found it is not sensitive enough to detect small leaks while working on a natural gas water heater in my home. You get what you pay for and I would look for a better quality gas sniffer. 

When conducting a leak test yourself,use an approved leak detector and or snoop it is called. We used soap and water for many years but the problem with that is some soap brands have a strong degreaser and it will eat old propane lines quickly. I would take it in to the shop and have them do a leak test on the entire coach, propane leaks as we all know are very dangerous for a number of reasons. 

You can buy the leak detector in a summer and winter versions so you can test for leaks in all four seasons if needed. Small bottle,line has about 6" of length ,squeeze the bottle,you can apply the liquid in all types of positions. 

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

• Solution
15 hours ago, saflyer said:

I checked those. The question arises, with the propane turned off at the tank what happens to the pilot lights on the heaters and water heater. Do they have auto-shutoff. I’ll check the manual.

Thanks

I doubt you have standing pilot lights on your furnace or water heater.  Most all are electronic DSI (Direct Spark Ignition).

- Rick N 

3 hours ago, waterskier_1 said:

I doubt you have standing pilot lights on your furnace or water heater.  Most all are electronic DSI (Direct Spark Ignition).

- Rick N 

Thanks Rick. I checked my manual and confirmed. One less thing to consider.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 5:49 PM, jacwjames said:

My regulator started leaking back ~7-8 years ago, I started smelling propane when I walked by the coach,  Took some soapy water and sprayed down the fitting starting at the tank and it was the regulator.  Replaced it with this

Marshall Excelsior MEGR-298 Horizontal Two-Stage Propane Regulator

Mine is Marshall Excelsior 605H.  Will the 298 fit & mount the same way?

On 11/1/2022 at 7:15 PM, johncvandoren@gmail.com said:

Mine is Marshall Excelsior 605H.  Will the 298 fit & mount the same way?

According to Marshall, the 298 and 295 are the same except for the POL. 295 has it and 298 doesn’t. 

So dealers choice. There are some hard nosed all metal POL and soft nose with O-ring, I assume, POL.  The MAIN THING is the CAPACITY. the OEM has the “H” suffix. That’s the one to get

As far as “fit” goes, yes. The cover should fit. But this is only cosmetic. I pulled out my POL and added a high pressure T for a quick disconnect fitting for a gas grill. I didn’t bother to get a shorter POL.  I just moved the cover over and used on of the push in nylon rivet holes. The other hole didn’t line up so I used a small zip tie

If you buy the 298H, you will need to remove your POL and reuse it. A small, very small bead of GAS RATED pipe sealer is recommended. Put it abut 3 threads back, not on the tip so none of it gets into the regulator. I used a tiny bit on the LEFT HANDED POL nut as well. 

Personally don’t see the need for a soft POL. Think they are for applications where you swap tanks. Ours is hard plumbed.  95% or more folks never touch unless a failed regulator or adding a high pressure line

4 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

According to Marshall, the 298 and 295 are the same except for the POL. 295 has it and 298 doesn’t. 

So dealers choice. There are some hard nosed all metal POL and soft nose with O-ring, I assume, POL.  The MAIN THING is the CAPACITY. the OEM has the “H” suffix. That’s the one to get

As far as “fit” goes, yes. The cover should fit. But this is only cosmetic. I pulled out my POL and added a high pressure T for a quick disconnect fitting for a gas grill. I didn’t bother to get a shorter POL.  I just moved the cover over and used on of the push in nylon rivet holes. The other hole didn’t line up so I used a small zip tie

If you buy the 298H, you will need to remove your POL and reuse it. A small, very small bead of GAS RATED pipe sealer is recommended. Put it abut 3 threads back, not on the tip so none of it gets into the regulator. I used a tiny bit on the LEFT HANDED POL nut as well. 

Personally don’t see the need for a soft POL. Think they are for applications where you swap tanks. Ours is hard plumbed.  95% or more folks never touch unless a failed regulator or adding a high pressure line

POL?

44 minutes ago, saflyer said:

POL?

POL a is the bullet nose piece with a a sliding nut.  It is the OLD style used in prehistoric days on gas grills.  The POL is just a pipe that you insert and left hand thread  nut tightens.  Google it.  Basically one is a regulator with a female threaded end.  The other is the same regulator with a POL pipe or fitting that will hookup directly like your old regulator.  Read up on it….

Test it afterwards for leaks.

On 11/3/2022 at 11:38 AM, Tom Cherry said:

POL a is the bullet nose piece with a a sliding nut.  It is the OLD style used in prehistoric days on gas grills.  The POL is just a pipe that you insert and left hand thread  nut tightens.  Google it.  Basically one is a regulator with a female threaded end.  The other is the same regulator with a POL pipe or fitting that will hookup directly like your old regulator.  Read up on it….

Test it afterwards for leaks.

Thanks.

On 11/3/2022 at 11:50 AM, saflyer said:

POL?

For those who don't know, "POL" is an acronym for the company that first made propane tank valves - Prest-O-Lite.

A POL valve fitting on a propane tank refers to the main valve - notable for its reverse left handed thread.

Guest Ray Davis
10 hours ago, Frank McElroy said:

For those who don't know, "POL" is an acronym for the company that first made propane tank valves - Prest-O-Lite.

A POL valve fitting on a propane tank refers to the main valve - notable for its reverse left handed thread.

Now if I can remember, I can impress people with that little tid bit.  Thanks