Air filter vacuum gauge

Not sure how this gauge helps me know when to change the air filter... don't know which way it is trending.  Any pointers?  This pic is from last October and 2000 miles ago.  The pic  I took today didn't come out, so back to the storage facility for another.  I think my owners manual says to replace the filter when the gauge turns red... and I don't see any red coming after about 9000 miles. 20221023_151338.thumb.jpg.abe475a365b0218613f3513a129858c5.jpg

These are not always reliable and the hose may also eventually crack but you can test it by sucking (which ever way you like) on the hose end removed  from intake side to verify both and then just reset it again. 9k miles should be far from warranting a regular replacement in normal operation. 

• Like 1

The gauge is measuring how much the air flow through the air filter is being restricted. As the filter gets clogged the indicator shows a higher number. If you take your air filter out and blow it out with an air compressor, then reset the gauge by pressing in the rubber end, you’ll see the next trip the gauge won’t go as high because you’ve removed some of the restriction. DO NOT blow air into the air filter box, you will be blowing dirt into the intake of the engine. Instead use a damp rag to wipe out the filter box before inserting the filter. Higher air restriction to the engine leads to higher diesel consumption, so keeping a clean air filter will save you money.

It looks like the gauge is reading 16 and won’t turn ted until closer to 25. You can test the accuracy of it with a 5’ small, clear plastic tube with 30” of water in it. Hook the tube to it with the water almost at it in a half circle. Lower the open end until it turn red and then measure the distance between the upper level and the lower level in the other side.

Fwiw, I trucked for myself for 25 plus years, all total a shade over 3 million miles, on my first truck, the engine went down for the first time at 780’xxx miles, (not anything to do with air restriction) the air restriction gauge hardly had moved in all those miles, still on the original air filters, I was convinced at around 350’xxx miles the filters needed to be changed and the restriction gauge was inoperable, so I removed the hose from the intake piping and sucked on it with vacuum from my mouth, my wife watched the gauge, it worked perfectly and I didn’t have to suck all that hard, so I would test the gauge that way and inspect the air hose to the intake piping as needed. You will not be doing the coach any favors by opening up the air filter canister to change the filter, if I remember correctly in the owners manual from Peterbilt, it stated that would probably do more harm by dropping debris in the intake, I also remember that blowing out the filter with air was not recommended at all! Just my experience, fwiw.

http://filterminder.com/resources/learn-more/49-resources/general-information/120-calibration.html

• Like 3

Some air filters are NOT a removable cartridge that can be blown out but a complete housing and filter unit. If that's the case you should NOT attempt to blow it out. Air filters actually work better as they filter particulate out and most are changed prematurely. Unless you routinely drive in very dusty conditions, relax it's fine.

• Like 1

I started by saying 9000 miles.  That was mis- leading.  I bought this MH with 68000 miles and the PO thought he had changed the air filter, but could find no record of it.  We've put just under another 9000 miles on it and as part of all the things I'm servicing for 75K, I was thinking of the air filter.  I have a new one on hand.  I'll test the gauge.  If it is working, I'll just store the spare filter, (or wait 2 years and auction it for 3x what I paid for it -- just kidding!).

Back to the owners manual and the 75K service items...

• Like 1

Sorry I didn’t respond to one of your original questions, the air restriction gauge should be trending towards the bigger numbers on the gauge, it could be somewhat misleading because the gauge is upside down, you should be able to reset the gauge if you want to recheck the restriction, just push on the top (actually the bottom but it’s upside down) to reset, it is perfectly fine to reset the gauge it should just come back to is current reading of restriction after a few miles with a moderate to heavy load. 
 Changing air filters is as controversial as “when to change oil” and by all means if you feel more comfortable changing the air filter then just go ahead and change it, as mentioned before, if you open up the filter canister it’s not a bad idea to wipe everything clean in there with a damp cloth. If you do decide to open it up take some pictures of the filter and post them, it would be interesting to see. 

It’s always interesting to see how people maintain equipment and it’s always interesting to see how equipment is maintained based on if there are making a living with it or it’s a luxury item!

Once again, JMO!

As mentioned, inspect the full length of the intake hose for cracks. Especially the lower portion that may be subject to water. My 2008 hose had quite a few pin holes in it. Around 40K miles but ours is a 2008 so time took its toll.

Richard mentioned pushing the button on the end of the gauge down once when the thing shows red and change it after it rises again.

This was advice from a factory rep I remember from a couple of years ago. 

Never blow the filter out according to him. Just one teaspoon of dust is enough to destroy the engine.

• Like 1

After owning my coach for several years I never saw the filter minder move.  I was curious so I removed it and inspected, looking at the bottom I saw a bunch of hair line spider type cracking.  So I cleaned the threads off and using my mouth tried to suck air through it, which I easily did, it was cracked enough that the filter minder indicator never moved.  As a fix I had some epoxy that I spread on the bottom and let it cure and then tested again and I could get the filter minder to move. 

Motor homes are used in a light duty application, no real dusty conditions and fairly low hours.  So when should you change the filter, some people do it annually which is overkill.  Others wait until the filter minder says to, which may also be a problem.  I do mine every ~3 years and do a thorough inspection of the air intake system looking at how much dirt is down stream of the filter, inspect all the clamps etc.  If you live in a dry environment this interval might be extended, humid you might consider less time with the thought of filter media might fail. 

1 hour ago, Jdw12345 said:

It’s always interesting to see how people maintain equipment and it’s always interesting to see how equipment is maintained based on if there are making a living with it or it’s a luxury item!

Only in the MH world do most change the oil every year regardless of miles and crank the engine and generator every month. In the making a living world it’s 15,000+ miles and even longer if you oil sample. Farmers do not go out and crank their machines every month during the winter or during the summer if not being used.
Recently there was even a recommendation to change the air filter every year on another forum. In the real world, we take it out every day and tap it against something to knock the dust out of it. Once a week we swap it with one we’ve blown clean and maybe after 5 years we buy a new one.

IF the filter minder doesn’t move a little when you reset it (push on the end) I’d take the hose off at the other end and suck on it. If it doesn’t move, time to check for a leak in the hose.If it’s reading around 18-20 I’d change the filter when convenient.

Edited by Ivylog

Guest Ray Davis
12 hours ago, MurrayD said:

Jeff

How do you change the filter without opening the canister? Of course they recommended not to blow dirt out of the filter, they want you to pay them to replace it.

My filter is sealed inside the metal canister.   You just replace the whole thing.

Richard is correct; Each year at the Gathering this issue is brought up and the Rep from Cummins explains that once the RED indicator shows in the small window, reset the gauge once by pressing the top button. Once the RED indicator reaches the small window a second time after driving, it is time to replace your air filter.

The other issue that is always brought up is the Air Filter. It only takes one teaspoon of dirt to dust and destroy a diesel engine. Cummins Stand on the Engine Air Filter is very clear. If for any reason you have to remove the air filter from its canister you should replace it. Do not blow it out with air and put it back in the canister, you do so at the risk of dusting the engine. When you do remove the air filter from the canister always use a damp towel to remove any dust, dirt or debris from inside the Canister, DO NOT BLOW THE DIRT OUT OF THE CANISTER WITH AIR.

You can also test the Indicator by just pressing the reset button on top of the indicator and when you start the engine again it will go back to the prior indication if it is working properly.

I'm finding these new Ecolite filters with the mesh on both sides of the paper media, appear to need many more hours of use before any restriction appears on the filter minder, as compared to the old style, black painted cans.

Anyone else noticing this?

This is on a ISL engine with 7" in/ out filters.

Edited by 96 EVO

I'll reset my gauge and then test it if it doesn't change.  My filter is in what seems to be a hard plastic housing.  I will leave well enough alone and not change it if the hoses and fittings are intact.  Thank you all for the amazing amount of advice and shared experience! 

• Like 1