Air Force 1 or Brake Buddy Stealth?

I have had my coach for a month or so and I am in the process of putting together a tow system for my toad.  I am going with the Blue Ox base plate and the service center said I could get by with the 6500 lb Blue Ox tow bar, but it is just $200 more to go with the 10000lb bar and I am leaning on the heavy duty bar.  

My real concern is that even though I have air brakes on my coach I don't really like the idea of cutting into it to supply air to my toad and the Air Force 1 brake system, and I have been thinking about the Brake Buddy Stealth system that is a proportional system but won't have to modify my air system on the motorhome for the install.  

What are your thoughts pro and con of both systems and should I really be worried about cutting into my airlines on the coach.

I have until tomorrow to decide which system to go with.

Thanks for any advice. 

Jeff

I have the Air Force one and the quality of the connections and accumulator tank are #1 The connections are at or above the same quality on the coach and am confident that there will be no issue with those connections that should be of concern.   The system just made sense to me to use the same air to operate the tow vehicle brakes. I am sure there are a ton of folks that will agree and actually I am sure the brake buddy stealth system is good too !!   It comes down to a REALLY simple hookup and I trust the feedback from many people and sites when I did the AF1.   1 Air line and the emergency pull cord.. and that is done!!   make my Light hookup (1 connection) and once my tow bar is latched.. Easy Peasey.   PS.. I have a 10,000 Bar as well.. overkill is not an issue !

Guest Ray Davis

Jeff,  They tapped into mine yrs ago and no problems.  I bet nearly all diesel pushers you see on the road has their brake system tapped into.

Most people I've heard of are not happy with the brake buddy system.

I bought a 10k tow bar too.

Edited by Ray Davis

You might want to look into the RVi3 brake system before you make your choice. There has been a lot of discussion on the group. I have had the system for almost 8 years. No issues, easy set up and great customer support.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff,

I have the M&G brake system and love it. It is a proportional brake system that applies air to activate toad brakes. In the event of toad coming loose from coach, an air cylinder activates brakes on toad to prevent runaway toad. There is some setup of system on toad, but very doable if you have mechanical ability. As far as an air source from coach brakes, you may already have a connection on back of coach around the tow hitch, with a plug in it already plumbed in. Here is there site,  https://m-gengineering.com/  Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had the Air Force 1 system on three coaches - two Monacos and one Newmar. Never had a single problem. Highly recommend it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Texomaman73 said:

I have had my coach for a month or so and I am in the process of putting together a tow system for my toad.  I am going with the Blue Ox base plate and the service center said I could get by with the 6500 lb Blue Ox tow bar, but it is just $200 more to go with the 10000lb bar and I am leaning on the heavy duty bar.  

My real concern is that even though I have air brakes on my coach I don't really like the idea of cutting into it to supply air to my toad and the Air Force 1 brake system, and I have been thinking about the Brake Buddy Stealth system that is a proportional system but won't have to modify my air system on the motorhome for the install.  

What are your thoughts pro and con of both systems and should I really be worried about cutting into my airlines on the coach.

I have until tomorrow to decide which system to go with.

Thanks for any advice. 

Jeff

I have had both and prefer the Air Force 1 braking system 

2 hours ago, bellr1968@gmail.com said:

I am one of those that is not happy with Brake Buddy.   Burned a set of brakes due to a  malfunction in the buddy.

Airforce1 is my choice. 

Russ Bell 

2008 Dynasty pulling a 2013 Ford Flex 

I lost a set of brakes, bearings, vacuum booster, due to a malfunctional tech installing my AF-1 ☹️!

Cost his employer over $5G's.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, David Pratt said:

You might want to look into the RVi3 brake system before you make your choice. There has been a lot of discussion on the group. I have had the system for almost 8 years. No issues, easy set up and great customer support.

We purchased and RVi3 in June and love it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Texomaman73 said:

The heavy duty tow bar is just that: Heavy.  I use one as I drag over 7000# but would go with a lighter one if I could.  Air brake systems are great & I wouldn't worry about adding it.  I am also looking for a new system as the original M&G I have will not work on my new truck.  I have had systems that required connecting to the brake pedal every time and find that annoying.  I will probably go with the M&G 2.0 or Air Force One.

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
3 hours ago, greg1262002 said:

Had a roadmaster brakemaster (air system) that worked well for some years. Changed toad and thinking of changing coach so went with RVi3 and other than the goofy tablet monitor really like that. It will work without modifications in about any combination of coach/toad. 

I have had a Roadmaster Brakemaster for close to 20 yrs, it's about as basic & simple as any system.  The lazy folk seem to find it too much trouble   tho  ( JUST KIDDING )   I probably don't realize what I'm missing not having an easy peasy system.  On the other hand simple has it's good points,   not much to go wrong and you can see it all.   Plus it keeps me young hooking up to the brake pedal.   I also have a Roadmaster 10k tow bar, don't   really need it but I might someday,  you know a belt & suspenders   sort of thing.  I can't remember the last time I actually had to pick the tow bar   up, I just have to lift each leg when attaching it to the toad.                                             

I'm 80 so I'll more than likely stick with what I have now.  Why change?

I do encourage you to go with one of the air brake systems you will not be happy with a brake buddy in the long term.

If you are interested in a M&G system they are located in Athens Tx which is not a long way from Texoma, and they will install the whole thing     there at the factory.

Edited by Ray Davis

I have used the NSA Ready Brute  tow bar with built in surge brake with a Blue Ox base plate on a 2013 Wrangle Unlimited since 2015.  I have been VERY pleased with this set up.  I suggest you investigate this product.  I also use their Ready Stop break away emergency brake system.

https://www.readybrake.com

Edited by bobbylinn52

Thanks everyone for all the advice!  Very much appreciated and was critical in my decision.

It was very close choice between the Air Force One and the IRV3  but I made the decision to go with the IRV3 portable brake system with the wireless breakaway system and the charge system.  I like the ability to change it to a different vehicle in the future if I decide to upgrade my toad.  

Thanks again for all the good suggestions.

Jeff

Jeff  I also have rvi 2 I don't know about the newer rvi3 . But in my situation I added a separate circuit and a red light on my dash that tells me if my toad brakes are activated just for piece of mind that I don't have a malfunction and burn my toad brakes up while driving down the road.

Roy M.    03 Dynasty

• Like 2

We have the RVi2 because have 3 vehicles involved as toweds.  The setup for each brake system on the AF1 costs money, and with the RVi, if we add a vehicle all that is needed is brackets and wiring-no need to pay the mechanic to install the braking hardware or for that matter buy the hardware.  Either will work well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miacasa_2000 said:

Jeff  I also have rvi 2 I don't know about the newer rvi3 . But in my situation I added a separate circuit and a red light on my dash

Me too, I wouldn't have an rvi brake without one. Too much to go wrong with the monitor system. 2 units command and tablet either of which can run out of battery or otherwise lose communication. And I've had the monitor mounting bracket loose suction on more than 1 occasion putting it on the floor until I or copilot can get to it. 

• Thanks 1