Goodyear or toyo?

Donflem
Go to solution Solved by Donflem,

1 hour ago, eddie4ne said:

We are in Washington and have unusual wear on the right drive tire. My greatest fear is a drive tire blowout, enhanced by the tradegy recently on I-81. Have 2 Toyo tires scheduled to be installed for about $1500 tomorrow at Les Schwab in Anacortes, WA. What is the oldest acceptable manufacture date?

I'd like it to be this month! Unfortunately, that doesn't happen so my hard and fast rule is within six months of manufacture. 

• Solution

You guys take a look at Tires Direct.net they had free shipping on my toyo m144. I think I paid less than $2000 for 4 delivered to Apple Valley ca. granted it was over a year ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eddie4ne said:

We are in Washington and have unusual wear on the right drive tire. My greatest fear is a drive tire blowout, enhanced by the tradegy recently on I-81. Have 2 Toyo tires scheduled to be installed for about $1500 tomorrow at Les Schwab in Anacortes, WA. What is the oldest acceptable manufacture date?

Typically, 6 months.  What size do you have.  I paid $2,600 for 4 rears last year locally…bubble balances…but mine are the big size. 295/80R22.5 LR H.  I paid $1200 for two fronts, spin balanced, and that included installing my Tyron bands and an hour’s shop labor for tightening the front shock mounts all around.  Les in Sacramento CA…2018 and in a bind like you.

Just passing that on.

Thank you to everyone for your input. We have size 295/80R22.5 also. In speaking with the shop, the tires were manufactured 3622. Since we are at a disadvantage because we are in a crunch as we are leaving the area this coming Monday and our home base is in Pennsylvania, we are opting to go with the tires…bird in the hand! Usually we shop around for the best price but, at this moment my main concern is safety! We live within an hour of where the fatal crash occurred on I-81. And a blowout has always been my biggest fear!

Many many thanks! 
Sharon

• Like 2

Original Goodyears had BIG blowout on right front. HORRIBLE experience!! $15,000.00 damage many years ago. Imagine the cost today. Replaced with Michelin. Began sidewall cracking after only a few years. Went to Toyo M-144. Perfect after 5 years. Only Toyo for me in the future.

Gary K

• Like 3

On 4/17/2022 at 6:16 AM, Frank McElroy said:

A few weeks ago I bought 8 Toyo M144 295/80R22.5 shipped to my home in NJ for $4,200 from Tiresdirect online.  Tires arrived via motor freight a few days later.  I'll install the tires myself and then sell the old tires to a trucker for $100 each like I did the last time I changed tires.

Ppl are now getting 150-200$ a tire.

Take a look at Kumho. 

Edited by Paul J A
  • Like 1

I only had one blowout with Goodyear tires.  Then switched to TOYO - no more problems.  Probably put 80,000 or more miles on Toyos.  The last time I bought Toyos it was from Motorhome Tires.com, motorhometires.com.  They came to my place and installed them.  $603.30 each, including balance beads.  Tires were a month old.  Bought them in May 2020.  Only 17,000 miles on this set so far.

On 4/17/2022 at 3:20 AM, Donflem said:

I need to replace my drive tires on my 2007 Monaco dynasty I was wondering what’s your guys ideas on Goodyear or Toyo? Does anybody know a good place to order tires at a decent price to ship to California?. Thanks for any help.Don

I installed Hercules haft the price same rating as Goodyear the tire guy told me no matter what you put on change them every 7 years

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wayne Thomas said:

I installed Hercules haft the price same rating as Goodyear the tire guy told me no matter what you put on change them every 7 years

I've had good service with the hercules tires on my camelot and also the hercules tires I put on the Montana fifth wheel I had before.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2022 at 6:16 AM, Frank McElroy said:

A few weeks ago I bought 8 Toyo M144 295/80R22.5 shipped to my home in NJ for $4,200 from Tiresdirect online.  Tires arrived via motor freight a few days later.  I'll install the tires myself and then sell the old tires to a trucker for $100 each like I did the last time I changed tires.

Lots of ppl are selling take off's for 200$ each. That's what the tire shops get .   More demand than supply for sure.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 1:43 PM, Ivan K said:

I got my 6 rear Toyos from Amazon Prime, sometimes they show up but are gone quick as I noticed, may be worth checking if not in a hurry. First I bought 2 to check them out and they were about 2 months old so I snatched 4 more.

Screenshot_20230816_123826_Chrome.jpg

That's a great price for Toyos.

Buy Michelin They are the best. I just bought 8 from MOTORHOMETIRES.COM in Tennesee. They are terrific . New DOT dates quick shipping price included tires,install,shipping,balancing beeds. and FEC tax. A local installer came to my business to install. They are great people to do business with

• Like 1

I was on Michelins for 8 years and I replaced them with Toyo 144’s at the beginning of this season.  There is just a slight more road noise from them but overall I am very happy with them. I don’t notice any difference in ride or handling 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

I was on Michelins for 8 years and I replaced them with Toyo 144’s at the beginning of this season.  There is just a slight more road noise from them but overall I am very happy with them. I don’t notice any difference in ride or handling 

You're lucky to have Michelins last that long.  They've had serious problems with their RV tires since long before I had my first motorhome.

They make some nice performance tires, but I'll never have them on a heavy duty vehicle.

5 minutes ago, dl_racing427 said:

You're lucky to have Michelins last that long.  They've had serious problems with their RV tires since long before I had my first motorhome.

They make some nice performance tires, but I'll never have them on a heavy duty vehicle.

Not so lucky. Those 8 years were not on one set, and the last set was the last set I’ll own by choice.

• Like 1

Installed Toyo M144s in Jan 2022, replacing Michelins.  Very happy after 15,000 miles since.  Just to share another observation.  While tire shopping for both RV and Toad tires, I received multiple comments from companies that sell Michelins, they are seeing tire compound on aging michilens getting hard just a few years into service.  On my bus, I was replacing Michelins that were about 5 years old and noticed a big improvement in ride.  I just finished a 7500 mile trip and half way through noticed how harsh the ride on my Ford Edge(Toad) was getting.  Had new Perelli tires installed and was amazed at the difference/improvement in ride.  And at this tire store the tech there said how hard the old tire compound was.  I know car and truck tires are quite different, but just sharing my experience. 

• Like 1