Jump to content

Water pressure regulator


Recommended Posts

Looking for a good water pressure regulator. There seems to be a lot of choices out there. When buying online I always look at the reviews from others who have purchased a product and I always click on the poorest reviews first. These reviews vary from great to 'DON'T BUY' .. Any experienced suggestions welcome.

TYIA

Lenny D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use a Watts 263A with oil-filled gauge.  I bought it from here and have had great customer service.  I sure didn’t pay this much 4 years ago, but I guess brass and stainless steel have gone up a lot.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/263a-lf-regulator-stainless

I keep it set at 50 PSI, which seems to work well for us. I’ve experimented with everything between 40 and 60 over the last four years, and 50 works for us; but then Debbie doesn’t like the shower spray too hard. Your mileage may vary…

EDIT: I found my receipt and paid $99 in 2018. Almost triple the price now, but still a lot cheaper than a leak…. That happened to me in our TT before we discovered the joys of a motorhome. Connector blew off of the water heater and flooded the kitchen. What a mess!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I purchased mine at the RV Water Filter Store many years ago when they were very reasonably priced. I see now they are outrageous overpriced.

Some folks here have purchased from other sources so I will let them post what and where they got theirs from and whether they are happy with the quality.

There seems to be many choices that all look the same but branded with many different names.

Pick and choose wisely.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Scotty Hutto said:

I use a Watts 263A with oil-filled gauge.  I bought it from here and have had great customer service.  I sure didn’t pay this much 4 years ago, but I guess brass and stainless steel have gone up a lot.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/263a-lf-regulator-stainless

I keep it set at 50 PSI, which seems to work well for us. I’ve experimented with everything between 40 and 60 over the last four years, and 50 works for us; but then Debbie doesn’t like the shower spray too hard. Your mileage may vary…

I also tried numerous water pressure regulators & found them to not provide the stated water pressure or fail completely so I purchased a Watts 263A from Dave at the RV Water Filter Store. These cost a little more but should provide life time service. I have mine set at 60 psi & it works well for us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just stopped buying stuff until reason is restored. I’ll start repairing stuff,  which I never used to do but now I’m taking a stand. It’s the concept that fleecing us is okay. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I picked up a basic Watts regulator from Home Depot and put together a system using brass fittings that are 5/8" in size to have plenty of water flow.

Hope this helps 

George

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the one I got. I haven't used it yet. Looks like 45-55 seems to be the preferred pressure. 

57 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

I have $29 Renator regulator from Amazon that still works fine. Liquid filled gauge, adjusted to 55psi. If it ever quits beyond just cleaning, not a big loss.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As George commented above, I simply went to Home Depot and bought the Watts whole house pressure regulator with 3/4 inch pipe threads in and out.  Of course I had to purchase adapters to go to hose connections and a gauge to set the pressure.  At the time (years ago) the whole thing came to about $25.  It has worked flawlessly for many years.  If I had it to do today, I would probably just buy the one from Amazon that already has the gauge and hose fittings built in and is much, much cheaper.

Richard

p.s.  I really, really hate those in-line pressure regulators that do nothing other than restrict the water flow (especially the plastic ones). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please, PLease PLEASE do not buy any of those in-line water restrictors disguised as "water pressure reducers".

There is a BIG difference between a water pressure regulator and a water restrictor.

Below is a document that I had saved in my library of resource material that will give anyone especially newbies a better understanding of water pressure versus water flow.

 

Water Pressure Versus Water Flow.doc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Please, PLease PLEASE do not buy any of those in-line water restrictors disguised as "water pressure reducers".

There is a BIG difference between a water pressure regulator and a water restrictor.

Below is a document that I had saved in my library of resource material that will give anyone especially newbies a better understanding of water pressure versus water flow.

Water Pressure Versus Water Flow.doc 32.5 kB · 2 downloads

@Frank McElroy can you add this to the downloads section?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just bought a standard water pressure regulator from Home Depot and installed it on a short piece of water hose that I put on the first when hooking up. I also have a water softener and filters after the regulator.

Gary 05 AMB DST

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Lenny D said:

Looking for a good water pressure regulator. There seems to be a lot of choices out there. When buying online I always look at the reviews from others who have purchased a product and I always click on the poorest reviews first. These reviews vary from great to 'DON'T BUY' .. Any experienced suggestions welcome.

TYIA

Lenny D

Amazon. The one that looks like this has been excellent. Made by 'Measureman'

I've put it on feed lines with +110 PSI

Liquid filled gage. 100% brass. No restriction. No leaks. Problem solved.

1_8a439d9a-05a9-4296-ae5f-59e1544e84d2_3

3 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Please, PLease PLEASE do not buy any of those in-line water restrictors disguised as "water pressure reducers".

There is a BIG difference between a water pressure regulator and a water restrictor.

Below is a document that I had saved in my library of resource material that will give anyone especially newbies a better understanding of water pressure versus water flow.

 

Water Pressure Versus Water Flow.doc 32.5 kB · 4 downloads

Exactly. The day I started out in the RV is the day I asked myself why the water flow was so bad inside. Turns out, Dad had put two of those inline water pressure reducers in the feed hose. Took them out and wow. What a difference. As my journey into plumbing progressed over the years I learned about full flow brass valves. I also learned about avoiding elbows with PEX fittings. You may think it it's not a big deal - it is. Just try removing that water tank bypass valve and see how much your flow improves.....Yes, that valve is a big restriction. There are more....

Edited by Bob Jones
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...